Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 08:11 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Fauci is a pawn and career (Democrat) bureaucrat. Rand Paul has been a practicing physician and surgeon his entire career.
Almost felt sorry for Fauci. He literally could not cite a scientific reason he was foolishly parading around in two (!) masks.

His new excuse (his vaccine may not stop the variants therefore he might get infected therefore his virtuous mask might stop him from then infecting others with a variant) is so cockamamie I’d like to review his credentials.

If Fauci truly believes, without evidence, his vaccine does not protect him from Covid he should be frantically working on getting a new vaccine for all of us. But he is not.

Hmmm...

Old 03-19-2021, 08:22 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Then why didn't masks help that much with the coronavirus?
That's not what many people around here believe. They do believe it has helped. We had positive cases at work but employees who worked closely with those individuals did not get infected. Only family members of the infected employee tested positive later and had symptoms or their family member tested positive first. Then the employee tested positive.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Because so many people refused to wear them properly or at all?

Do you think that parading around with a Mask on your chin is really going to help?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:26 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Almost felt sorry for Fauci. He literally could not cite a scientific reason he was foolishly parading around in two (!) masks.

His new excuse (his vaccine may not stop the variants therefore he might get infected therefore his virtuous mask might stop him from then infecting others with a variant) is so cockamamie I’d like to review his credentials.
As we speak a third wave is hitting mainland Europe of the so-called UK variant. Would it not be wise to vaccinate while also wearing masks on the off chance that a new variant could prove to not be suppressed by the vaccines?

With several variants popping up (B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1) it's only a matter of time before it continues to mutate into new forms that might side step the vaccine.

I'd call it cautious rather than cockamamie.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:28 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
As we speak a third wave is hitting mainland Europe of the so-called UK variant. Would it not be wise to vaccinate while also wearing masks on the off chance that a new variant could prove to not be suppressed by the vaccines?

With several variants popping up (B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1) it's only a matter of time before it continues to mutate into new forms that might side step the vaccine.

I'd call it cautious rather than cockamamie.
So the old and sick, those at RISK should take precautions. No need for government mandates and lock downs.

Maybe people should embrace Rights, Freedoms and Liberties instead of hiding under the bed?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:31 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

If Fauci truly believes, without evidence, his vaccine does not protect him from Covid he should be frantically working on getting a new vaccine for all of us. But he is not.

Hmmm...

Some people have devoted their lives to the study of viruses and the pandemic and/or epidemic spread. They write books, too.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:32 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
I think they did; at least in the situations where they were worn properly. Anectdotally, my husband has been working every day during the pandemic, in a crowded room of 50 tradesmen. They have 100% mask requirement. They had a guy come to work knowingly infected. He was required to wear his mask on the job, but did not wear it in his car while commuting with another employee. He worked, infected, for two days. No one else got it except the carpooler.

I could name several other situations like this and you can see studies posted online and on the CDC website where they tracked transmission in busses, restaurants, etc. Masking clearly mitigated transmission.

No one ever claimed it was a 100% cure for transmission. But it helps. I think it would have been an even more significant help if mask use was messaged properly from the start so more people wore them, wore them correctly and if the nation could have invoked increased production of quality masks (as Europe has done) for the population.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:33 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So the old and sick, those at RISK should take precautions. No need for government mandates and lock downs.

Maybe people should embrace Rights, Freedoms and Liberties instead of hiding under the bed?
I completely agree.

I was arguing against someone who said that masks with a vaccine had no scientific basis. It very clearly does.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Senator Paul was explaining the actual science to Fauci in the hearing. Watch the video and see for yourself.
The very idea of Rand Paul explaining science to Dr Fauci is laughable.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:37 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Everyone I know, who is vaccinated, is OVER the whole Covid thing. We wear masks in public places, because it is required by our county, but outside we don’t. Our restaurants are back up to speed, for the most part.
Some people can continue to obsess over it if they want, but I’m not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies