Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 03:01 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You think it is nothing but virtue signaling, but it's a bad idea.

I have always found it helpful to me that if i am totally against something others support, the best thing for me to od is listen to them. Why are they so in favor of something I am against. Listen. There is some merit to some of the claims.

Many people had their property confiscated through no fault of their own. The didn't cause it nor could they have reverted it.

Listen. Can't hurt. All it will cost you is time.

Slavery ended in 1865. Why are we still fretting over it? No one is alive that was a slave or owned slaves. Why should any one of us that had absolutely nothing to do with it have to pay up? If anyone feels that poorly about something they had nothing to do with then maybe there should be a line on the upcoming tax forms that allows people that are riddled with guilt to write in any amount they want for reparations.

It is virtue signaling because how will it ever be figured out? Does anyone with a hint of shade on their skin get a payout or will DNA tests have to be done to figure out what percentage someone is?

There would also have to be family trees worked out that showed someones ancestors were actually slaves.

I do not think that the average tax payer should be forced to pay anything towards this. Will Asian people or Hispanic people be forced to pay or only white people? What if my family roots was traced back to having always lived far away from the slave states? Why should I pay?

I guess what we should be looking at is the descendants of slaves and they will be paid by the descendants of people that actually owned them.

You are correct that many people have had property confiscated by the Gov but that is far more than just black people.

Our Government has a lot to answer for and writing checks is not the answer because with all that writing very soon the check is not going to be worth the paper it is written on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 03:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I am a white guy, but I have NO PROBLEM if some money is taken from my paycheck/taxes for paying these people!!

Slavery was a HORRENDOUS, BRUTAL practice...the people that suffered the most from it, rightly deserve every penny!

I would go as far to say the US govt should be held responsible in a global court for allowing it.
Are you going to first try the blacks who rounded up other blacks and sold them? Also, before the white American is tried, should you not also round up all central and south Americans and try them as well? Most all slaves that came to North America came through central and south.

BTW - you do know Americans fought a war to end it, right? Many white people died to stop slavery.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM

550 posts, read 368,507 times
Quote:
I am a white guy, but I have NO PROBLEM if some money is taken from my paycheck/taxes for paying these people!!

Slavery was a HORRENDOUS, BRUTAL practice...the people that suffered the most from it, rightly deserve every penny!

I would go as far to say the US govt should be held responsible in a global court for allowing it.
Wonderful. Then start paying women as well. They were not allowed to own property or vote and a husband was allowed to rape and abuse his wife with impunity. If blacks were never experienced slavery get money, then women should receive reparations as well.

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You think it is nothing but virtue signaling, but it's a bad idea.

I have always found it helpful to me that if i am totally against something others support, the best thing for me to od is listen to them. Why are they so in favor of something I am against. Listen. There is some merit to some of the claims.

Many people had their property confiscated through no fault of their own. The didn't cause it nor could they have reverted it.

Listen. Can't hurt. All it will cost you is time.
They don't want people to listen, they want capitulation, period.

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Slavery ended in 1865. Why are we still fretting over it? No one is alive that was a slave or owned slaves. Why should any one of us that had absolutely nothing to do with it have to pay up? If anyone feels that poorly about something they had nothing to do with then maybe there should be a line on the upcoming tax forms that allows people that are riddled with guilt to write in any amount they want for reparations.

It is virtue signaling because how will it ever be figured out? Does anyone with a hint of shade on their skin get a payout or will DNA tests have to be done to figure out what percentage someone is?

There would also have to be family trees worked out that showed someones ancestors were actually slaves.

I do not think that the average tax payer should be forced to pay anything towards this. Will Asian people or Hispanic people be forced to pay or only white people? What if my family roots was traced back to having always lived far away from the slave states? Why should I pay?

I guess what we should be looking at is the descendants of slaves and they will be paid by the descendants of people that actually owned them.

You are correct that many people have had property confiscated by the Gov but that is far more than just black people.

Our Government has a lot to answer for and writing checks is not the answer because with all that writing very soon the check is not going to be worth the paper it is written on.
This is for Jim Crow as well and this is specific, rather than just writing a check. Read the article.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Well all the normal questions come up and maybe a few extra. Who decides? How much? Who is eligible? What if part of your family were the oppressed and part the oppressor (what if you’re mixed)? How far back does it go? Are people that came to America after slavery was abolished responsible? Is there a receipt that people can hold up that absolves them of the responsibility of slavery when someone tries to grift them? As clearly noted in the article some people do not think you can put a price tag on slavery, what to do about those people? Will there be mulligans if someone screws up their reparation payment(s)? Will the Federal Government, all of us except the 40 some odd percent that pay no taxes, ultimately be responsible if the states over do it and need to be bailed out?

Old 03-22-2021, 03:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I know once the reparations start going out for black folk my Irish wife is going to get in line. There was a time not that long ago when Irish were just as discriminated against in this country as black people were. Of course as far as the reparations for the slavery she will have to go to the Queen of England for that and she will no doubt laugh herself silly as anyone with any common sense would.

OP as a black man how do you feel about reparations. I'm white and think the idea is nothing but virtue signaling. Where would the Gov begin to figure out who gets what? Would everyone have to do a DNA test and trace their roots back to the Civil war and if their ancestors were in fact held as slaves they would be paid what? Or would it be a blanket payment even if the individual just came from Africa yesterday ?

How would you work it out OP?
Every ethnic group, beyond the Brits, and subsequent waves of immigration experienced discrimination.

Big diff between indentured servants and slaves.

The Irish were indentured servants and sold for less than African slaves because indentured servants could earn their freedom and their children were born free of indenture claims. A child born to a slave, regardless of parentage, was considered a slave.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Its always been generally accepted that ' we pay for the crimes of our fathers'
In religions. Secular societies, especially Western ones, do not hold individuals responsible for other’s behavior, even if they are direct family. You must actually commit a crime to be held responsible for it.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I understand and feel for you! It amazes me how successful blacks are often deemed to be "too white!" And Heaven forbid if a black person doesn't ALWAYS vote Democrat, even if a Republican is the better choice for blacks. I'm white. A black friend of mine said every white person has some "black blood" in them. When reparations start, I'm going to take a DNA test to get MY fair share!
Out-of-Africa has long been thrown out as it doesn’t fit the narrative. One has to go further back in history and that requires the acceptance that slavery was normal, an everyday occurrence, even prior to 1619.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:19 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Please stop. I am a recent American of African heritage. All you have to do is look at immigration records to figure out who wasn’t here prior to 1965. My family arrived in the 1970s. It’s easy to figure out.
Please stop yourself.

No need for rudeness here, I expressed an opinion and one that is held by many many people.

What about rich black people, do they get something? I mean the list is endless.

Affirmative action is a sort of a minor form of reparation, what about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies