Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 10:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So would the supporters of DC statehood also support statehood for the rural parts of states like IL, NY, WA, and OR, who don't want to be ruled by a big city?
And don’t forget inland California.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:46 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post

Only extremist leftist partisan Democrats believe Washington D.C. should be a state. And why those on the left, and the dangerous outer fringes of it at that..............
^^^You are mistaken. I don't think Barry Goldwater will ever be considered an extremist leftist partisan Democrat. Nixon? Nope, once again. Nor half of the GOP senators in 1978. Then there is Donald J. Trump.

The idea that this is part of a “radical leftist agenda” doesn’t really match up with history. There was a time, relatively recently, in which plenty of Republicans thought that “taxation without representation” in D.C. was inappropriate.

Quote:
Both conservative icon Barry Goldwater and former president Richard M. Nixon favored D.C. statehood. The 1972 and 1976 Republican Party platforms endorsed voting rights for Washington in the House and Senate. And both chambers of Congress in 1978 passed a proposed constitutional amendment (i.e. with two-thirds majorities) to that effect, with half of GOP senators voting for it. The amendment was not ratified by enough states.

Even Republican Donald Trump, after launching his presidential campaign in 2015, suggested that he was open to D.C. statehood (albeit at a time when he was opening up a D.C. hotel and the seriousness of his campaign was debatable). “I would like to do whatever is good for the District of Columbia, because I love the people,” Trump said at the time. Trump later reversed course, aligning with his party.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...tehood-debate/

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-23-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-23-2021, 11:47 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
For those relying on the founders didn't want this "reasoning", there was a great deal of disagreement among the founders.

Also, I'm pretty sure the founders had no intention of ending slavery or of women voting either.

Plus, there is no record of their opinion of North and South Dakota.

Life rolls on.

Do you think that could possibly be because at the time of the founding fathers drafting the constitution, there was no such thing as a Dakota, let alone a North Dakota or South Dakota??

Old 03-23-2021, 12:56 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
As far as DC becoming it's own state, I'm all for it but only if they take Northern Virginia with them.

Otherwise, forget it.
The only way I would ever even think about supporting DC statehood is if they took ALL of the Beltway counties with them, those being Montgomery and Prince George's in Maryland and Arlington and Fairfax in Virginia. Though, I'd be willing to bet that the big-government liberals who live in those counties would scream bloody murder if they actually had to live under the authority of the DC government.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But the Constitution allows for amendments to the Constitution right -- to change with changing times?
this wouldn't be an amendment.

I do look forward to learning about the pivot I heard this morning that it was needed to right some prior racial wrong.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I love the people going in on Senator Mike Rounds of South Dakota on twitter right now. He's saying The Founding Fathers never intended DC to be a state and people are like "Bruh, the founding fathers never intended South Dakota to be a state." lol
but they did put in place a mechanism for new states to be created/join the Union whilst also putting in place a mechanism so what became DC could not. Amazing.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But the Constitution allows for amendments to the Constitution right -- to change with changing times?
Sure. All it takes is for 2/3 of Congress to agree and then 2/3 of states to ratify it.

Not going to happen.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You kidding me?

Think of the taxes Maryland would get from DC, once it returns to Maryland. It ranks #2 of all states and itself for median home value, ranks #1 for median household income, and #1 for GDP per capita. Who wouldn't want that? Thats like being offered to look after your billionaire brain-damaged cousin, and having power of attorney for his finances forced on you.

Rather than any indication they do want it, has there been any suggestions, or offers, that they can have it back?
plus, DC folks would get a helluva income tax cut. 8.5% marginal at 60K vs a max of 5.75% in MD?

and at 700K people vs ~6MM, they wouldn't immediately dominate politics (not that there's that much disagreement between them)

THAT is what DC should be fighting for.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:25 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Ultimately, this power grab attempt is directly against We the People.

The government (DemocRATS) are at war with us.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
There is no reason for them to be their own state. Their arguments do not stand up, if they desire what they are arguing, they simply would say they want to be part of Maryland.

It is about adding for sure Democratic numbers, that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies