Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 07:01 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's shameful that America has cultural issues that keep the vicious cycle of violence and lack of respect for human life going. Other economically prosperous countries, such as Japan and Australia, do not have the level of violence that the United States has currently and has had for a significant length of time. I think we just have a violent culture here to be honest. Lax gun laws don't help, but it goes beyond that.
Because those countries don’t have open borders, birthright citizenship, and Syrian refugees

When you let millions of folks in, there’s going to be a lot of bad apples who don’t want assimilation. Instead they just want anarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 07:04 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup by making it harder for the good guys to get guns - it does inevitablly make it harder and more expensive for the bad guys.

I get it -- It is not an ideal solution.

I am Canadian and never grasped the gun thing. But I've had endless informative discussions and get it. Many of the gun control suggestions are not perceived as impacting criminal aspects or mental health issues. I kind of agree. I don't know what the solution is. B ut there is no denying the USA has a serious gun violence issue. I don't want to take guns away from those of you that aren't inclined to misuse your right...but I don't know what the solution is. By the way, making it harder for the good guys to get guns - it does inevitably make it harder and more expensive for the bad guys.

I don't know what the solution is.

The only thing I can think of if there is a bone that could be thrown....a compromise. I just don't know.
Well one thing for sure making guns illegal will only hurt the ones(legal) who need them to protect themselves against the illegal ones. It is a vicious cycle and too late to do anything about it other than to dish out severe punishment for those who commit a crime with a gun. And I mean severe! By the way, making it harder for the good guys to get guns will do nothing, most of those (illegal)guns are stolen.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:05 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Please explain, so we can pick it apart. Wiki? Where anyone can edit it? This is your "source".

Old 03-23-2021, 07:09 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because those countries don’t have open borders, birthright citizenship, and Syrian refugees

When you let millions of folks in, there’s going to be a lot of bad apples who don’t want assimilation. Instead they just want anarchy.
Nah, I don't think that's the main cause of gun violence here in the US. Lax immigration is a different subject but that's not what's driving most homicides.

The two latest mass shootings were certainly not done by Syrians here illegally. They were homegrown, as is most of the violence that happens, whether it's in rural Mississippi or the inner city of Chicago. People coming over the border with bad intentions certainly need to be stopped but that's not where most of the violence originates. It's an inside job.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
That is a sad "perspective" for the US. Our country is the most violent and dangerous on the planet.
Okay well to put that into perspective in 2015 you had a 6:100,000 chance of being the victim of a homicide in America. A .06:100,000 chance of being a victim of a homicide in a mass killing. It's not impossible but it's highly improbable.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:13 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So I love how someone who is not advocating for gun control -- still gets attacked for suggesting we need to do something. I don't support bans, I don't know about specific controls...but I want something to happen.

That's the line in the sand. We can't even talk about gun violence in this country.
We can talk about it we are talking about it right now, fact is no matter what kind of gun might have been used the outcome would have been pretty much the same but those that want to ban semi auto gloss over that fact.

What you think those that don't want gun control like me aren't hurt by the fact that too many want to murder? I am dismayed by it but putting a band-aid over a deep dark serious problem won't help. You can't legislate morality or love, and that is what is the root cause ,the lack of it.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:16 PM

14,227 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Freedom used to mean being able to go to the damn grocery store without being terrified.
What do you mean “used to mean”?

Is firearm a new invention or something?

Old 03-23-2021, 07:18 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
He absolutely could have done the same with any weapon.

You have no chance against the AR-15. Don't be Biden stupid here. There is a reason it's the guys favorite toy for masss shootings.

If we could have cut down the body count by less than 5 it's worth it.
AR-15 or semi auto is not magically more lethal than say a shotgun. Firepower only matters when someone is shooting back at you, these murderers target people and places where most people can't or won't fight back.

However when does firepower like from a AR-15 matter? when you are lone storekeeper being attacked by a ANTIFA mob and the cops are nowhere to be seen.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Do you think it's a GOOD idea to ban law-abiding citizens who have never shot, threatened, or worried anybody, from buying so-called "assault weapons"?
Who said background checks would do that and how?

Old 03-23-2021, 07:20 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
At the very minimum an AR-15 ban since they are used in pretty much every mass shooting.

The mouth breathers will come back with well hand guns kill the most. Yes they kill the most in BAD, usually ghetto neighborhoods.

These mass shootings are in nice areas where you don't expect any kind of crime of that magnitude. That's the difference.

The AR-15 especially is the gun because you can mow down so many more people.

Australia hasnt had a mass shooting since their ban
Except they aren't. Do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies