Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 08:16 PM

26,970 posts, read 15,187,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Law abiding citizens? The killer from Boulder may have also been law abiding....until yesterday.
I could be wrong, but he probably bought that firearm legally (for freedom and self defense)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...rnd/index.html

Could be but when someone does something wrong it is their responsibility and you don't punish the innocent.
If a driver runs into a crowd intentionally shall we remove all Driver's licenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Gun ownership is not new in America.
Let me repeat one more time just to make sure you get it through your head, ok? GUN OWNERSHIP IS NOT NEW IN AMERICA.

So what is the difference between what happened in Boulder Colorado yesterday and 100 years ago? What changed?

The ease at which one can buy guns, ammo, and semi-automatics firearms.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Mass shootings are defined as more than 4 people.

Hood rats in Chicago take down 4 people with cheap, Saturday night special type handguns on the regular.

You just don't hear about them because the media can't paint them as evil white guys with AR-15's.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-types-used/
Yep. The US definitely has a gun problem.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Could be but when someone does something wrong it is their responsibility and you don't punish the innocent.
If a driver runs into a crowd intentionally shall we remove all Driver's licenses?
How many people in schools, churches, nightclubs, theaters, malls, Walmarts, and grocery stores have been killed by someone driving their car inside a building and mowing over multiple people?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:25 PM

United States, where it is easier to buy semi-automatic firearms than it is to vote.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 PM

14,178 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The ease at which one can buy guns, ammo, and semi-automatics firearms.
Easier than 50-100 years ago when there were no such thing as FBI III and NCIC?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
Yep. The US definitely has a gun problem.

The US has a problem with coddling criminals and a lack of respect for the views of others.

The guns are largely the same as they've always been.

It's the hearts and minds that have gotten more dangerous.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:28 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
If gun is not a new invention and gun ownership is not new in America, then how come there are more mass shootings in the last 20 years than in the last 100 years?

What changed?
That's a really good question. Part of it is that 20 years ago, there was quite a bit of violent crime in the poor inner cities, really going back before that, but it's caught up in the rural areas and suburbs where many people (especially in the rural areas) have long owned guns for hunting/target shooting, etc.

A good number of my years have been spent in rural areas where owning firearms for sport, and God forbid protection (actually more from dangerous animals than from people), was such a common thing but years ago, I don't think people (including me) worried about it like now, and really didn't seem to have to to the extent that people do now. It was even common, in some areas, a few decades ago, to see high school students have their rifles in their truck, but it was to hunt and not to be violent misanthropes.

Now, it seems like some people are on a shorter fuse and keep to themselves more. I've personally noticed a change in rural areas where people aren't nearly as friendly as they used to be. Maybe (?), people still look out for their neighbors, but it's harder to tell in some of these areas that used to be close knit. It's sad.

The mantra now is "Turn around in my driveway, I'll shoot you. Disagree with me politically, I'll brandish my firearm. If you tell me to leave the store because I'm violating a policy, I'll pull a gun on you." Americans are just so freaking high strung about everything, and the maturity level of people who own guns now is honestly not as high as the maturity level of people who owned guns in the past. As guns have become more pervasive and fetishized (which I don't ever remember decades ago), they've gotten into a lot more of the wrong hands.

It's also very common where I am to see a police report of a larceny and one of the most commonly stolen item is a firearm. So although it may (?) have been obtained legally, the person who steals it isn't going to use it for something nice. And more in circulation simply means more opportunities for more thugs who have not business having them to get them in their hands.

Last edited by Jowel; 03-23-2021 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
United States, where it is easier to buy semi-automatic firearms than it is to vote.

Funny, nobody is mailing me unsolicited guns.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:31 PM

14,178 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
Show me where to buy a gun without showing your ID and an instant check through NICS?
Buying a gun with scratched out serial number from a trunk of someone’s car behind a dark alley does not count.

Do you need to show your ID and run background check to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies