Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 11:19 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Slippery slope

Define mental illness

where does it end?

Anxiety that millions have? Parkinsons? Brain injuries? Who decides this list? How do you go about removing weapons from all these millions of people now on said list?
In patient treatment is a low bar. No one goes for that unless they are seriously mentally ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Quite a long thread and sorry I haven't read every comment. As someone who used to handle background checks, I can say that my department did a thorough search when requested by law enforcement from other jurisdictions. We stopped a lot of felons from acquiring a gun in other states. I can't say all jurisdictions are as thorough but adding more restrictions to an already sufficient action isn't going to stop shootings.

Personally, I find no reason for a law abiding citizen to own an assault rifle. Other guns? Okay, fine. That's just me, though. As for stopping people from getting their hands on a gun??? They can pass all the laws they want. Criminals can and will get a gun if they want it. You just have to know where to go and who to ask for. Heck, even I could have a gun and ammo in my hands within the hour, if I chose to. No background check, either. Why don't politicians get that? Stop blocking responsible gun owners. They aren't the problem.

How many law abiding citizens own an assault rifle?

Old 03-24-2021, 11:28 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
In patient treatment is a low bar. No one goes for that unless they are seriously mentally ill.
The problem is, once they know they will be on the no weapons list they simply won't go and remain untreated.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:28 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
More than you know. They don't advertise it.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
More than you know. They don't advertise it.

I doubt it because for what is being identified as the Assault Rifle is the AR-15. Is that what you are calling an assault rifle? Do you want to go into battle with that rifle? What military in the world uses the AR-15?

Old 03-24-2021, 11:34 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Quite a long thread and sorry I haven't read every comment. As someone who used to handle background checks, I can say that my department did a thorough search when requested by law enforcement from other jurisdictions. We stopped a lot of felons from acquiring a gun in other states. I can't say all jurisdictions are as thorough but adding more restrictions to an already sufficient action isn't going to stop shootings.

Personally, I find no reason for a law abiding citizen to own an assault rifle. Other guns? Okay, fine. That's just me, though. As for stopping people from getting their hands on a gun??? They can pass all the laws they want. Criminals can and will get a gun if they want it. You just have to know where to go and who to ask for. Heck, even I could have a gun and ammo in my hands within the hour, if I chose to. No background check, either. Why don't politicians get that? Stop blocking responsible gun owners. They aren't the problem.

"Assault Rifle" = full automatic machine gun.

Those are already heavily restricted from the general public.

Semi automatic sporting rifles such as the AR-15 and variants of similar type are NOT "Assault Rifles" .

Old 03-24-2021, 11:34 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
anyone with half a brain already KNOWS. That law abiding citizens won't be the cause of what's going on. It's the nut jobs, Muslims with an agenda (not all of them of course) and others that are not all there that will continue to abuse the use of guns. Biden and his clan of course would like you to think it's ANYONE with a gun. Yet another way to take control of an entire society, remove their guns. It's happened before in history with other countries. We had better hope NOT here

Old 03-24-2021, 11:35 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
I doubt it because for what is being identified as the Assault Rifle is the AR-15. Is that what you are calling an assault rifle? Do you want to go into battle with that rifle? What military in the world uses the AR-15?
Rapid fire assault weapons. That's what I was referring to, Tamara. Military personnel should be the only ones using such weapons. Citizens like you and me have no need for anything like that.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Rapid fire assault weapons. That's what I was referring to, Tamara. Military personnel should be the only ones using such weapons. Citizens like you and me have no need for anything like that.

Well, as stated, the AR-15 is not an assault weapon. What military uses that as an assault weapon? Secondly, it is the Bill of Rights for us Citizens.....not the Bill of Needs.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:38 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Very few, since the definition of assault is a select fire weapon that uses an intermediate cartridge and is magazine fed. Select fire means a firearm that can be switched to fully automatic fire from semi-automatic fire. Since normal citizens in the US can't buy a fully automatic firearm made after 1986, none of the millions of AR-15, semi-auto only AK-47 variants, etc are assault weapons, they are semi-automatic firearms with an ergonomic design that facilitates accurate shooting.

As for the notion that so called assault rifles, like AR-15's aren't used for any so called "legitimate" purpose, I would point the folks spewing that nonsense towards the thousands of shooting competitions held each year with semi-automatic rifles, or to the large number of people using them to hunt feral hogs, coyotes, and other pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies