Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 05:26 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I don’t think illegal immigrants are “destroying “ the country either. We could debate the costs versus the benefits, but regardless there just aren’t enough of them to actually destroy the country. 12 million illegal residents is about 3% of our population.
There is no limit to the number of Democrat-voting citizen children they can produce over time. So, yes, of course they are enough to destroy the country. Even a million or a thousand would be enough given enough time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 05:36 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I don’t think illegal immigrants are “destroying “ the country either. We could debate the costs versus the benefits, but regardless there just aren’t enough of them to actually destroy the country. 12 million illegal residents is about 3% of our population.
Oh yes, they are! 3% of the population? What about all their anchor babies? They are reducing wages, stealing jobs, taxes and resources from Americans, overcrowding our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods and increasing our crime rates. They commit felony ID and/or tax evasion. They are depleting our natural and social resources and are costing us over $100 billion a year. They are diluting our culture and language also. They will change our political scene forever to. They are being counted on the census which gives some districts and state unfair representation in congress. Hundreds of thousands more are crashing our border right now which will increase their percentages.

How about we just stick to the bottom line though and that is they violated our immigration laws and therefore we should not have any sympathy for them and instead want them deported? I have never seen you take that basic stance though. Why is that? Everything else are just the negative impacts on Americans.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:14 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm not saying that legal immigration is destroying our country illegal aliens are. However, I think we should be more selective with the legal immigrants we allow in and I think at this time 1 million a year is too much. I'm against immigration just for family reunifications purposes also. I would like to see legal immigration from those countries where their cultures and views are more similar to ours and that are willing to assimilate into our society. It makes for a more cohesive society.
I don’t think illegal immigrants are “destroying “ the country either. We could debate the costs versus the benefits, but regardless there just aren’t enough of them to actually destroy the country. 12 million illegal residents is less than 3% of our population.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:39 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
...Because of that Democrats who are younger are more immigrant heavy, are better-educated (likely more traveled as well) and have more immigrant friends are more likely to support more immigration.

Just look at New York, Chicago, Houston, Austin nightlife. You see tons of liberals with people from all around the world.
Increasingly, Democrats are the people who have benefited from the past 40 years of social and economic change; Republicans are those who have benefited less, or actually struggled. This is ironic, because "the past 40 years", is the Reagan-Thatcher economic-liberal consensus.

Quote:
I don't know where you are getting the notion that young Democrats or any other Democrats are more educated and more traveled than Republicans. If Republicans are the so-called party of the rich as liberals claim then how is that possible? ...
Republicans are now less the party of the "rich", than the party of the working-class. This isn't a barb or a taunt; it's Republican self-identification. People who invest, who benefit from more power to Capital and less power to Labor, are finding less and less consonance with the modern Republican party.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:49 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I don’t think illegal immigrants are “destroying “ the country either. We could debate the costs versus the benefits, but regardless there just aren’t enough of them to actually destroy the country. 12 million illegal residents is less than 3% of our population.
Remain in denial if you wish. Only someone with an agenda on this issue would. No one is fooled by the defenders of illegal aliens and you don't fool me.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:17 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I didn't say economics is a zero-sum game, I didn't say anything about trade, and I don't disagree with what you are saying.
Ok, cool. That’s a good starting point. Elaborate, please! I’m interested, because you seem to be on to something I haven’t yet thought of.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that legal immigration is destroying our country illegal aliens are. However, I think we should be more selective with the legal immigrants we allow in and I think at this time 1 million a year is too much. I'm against immigration just for family reunifications purposes also. I would like to see legal immigration from those countries where their cultures and views are more similar to ours and that are willing to assimilate into our society. It makes for a more cohesive society.
I guess I grew up differently. I actually like what immigrants bring. It’s a little boring where I am now, compared to where I grew up where close to half were foreign born in my neighborhood, and a little over 25% for the entire metro area. Here, sure, we have blacks and whites, some Hispanics, but it’s not a place where you can readily access even facile parts of other cultures, such as through cuisine. Even when I was much more conservative than I am now, there’s a through line where I always thought immigration was a wonderful thing. Hell, my ma is an immigrant (Austria), and I married into a family with a lot of Salvadoran immigrants. I’ve personally always been enriched and thrilled and charged up by being amongst other cultures.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:45 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Republicans are now less the party of the "rich", than the party of the working-class. This isn't a barb or a taunt; it's Republican self-identification. People who invest, who benefit from more power to Capital and less power to Labor, are finding less and less consonance with the modern Republican party.
This ^^^ is exactly the answer to the OP. Used to be Republican was the party of big business and Democrat was the party of labor. These roles have substantially reversed in recent years. Labor is more hostile to immigration because they see it as a threat to their jobs.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:52 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
This ^^^ is exactly the answer to the OP. Used to be Republican was the party of big business and Democrat was the party of labor. These roles have substantially reversed in recent years. Labor is more hostile to immigration because they see it as a threat to their jobs.
This thread isn't about the Democratic Party though. It's about ordinary people who identify as "liberal" when given the choice of liberal, moderate or conservative. Why have such people's views on immigration shifted dramatically while the views of conservatives have mostly remained stable?

Old 03-25-2021, 07:09 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This thread isn't about the Democratic Party though. It's about ordinary people who identify as "liberal" when given the choice of liberal, moderate or conservative. Why have such people's views on immigration shifted dramatically while the views of conservatives have mostly remained stable?
But Liberals by and large identify as Democrat, so I think explaining it through what Democrats have become make sense. More educated, more immigrants-heavy, younger as a group, knows more immigrant people compared to the democrats of yesteryear. As more immigrants have come in the country has become more supportive of immigrants, it didn't happen by accident. Of course not all people are like that. But I doubt many people could live in Fort Bend County and be vocally anti-immigrant. Because the county is the 2nd wealthiest county in Texas and is heavily foreign born and children of foreign born. As a result their has been a shift as to who identifies as liberal/Democrat. The county used to be heavy in the Republican block, but now it is leaning Democrat.

The answer isn't that people have changed but that the demographics of a liberal has changed. Liberals are younger, better educated and wealthier than before. People with master's degrees are the least anti-immigrant group in America.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...-into-the-u-s/

Even Republicans are seeing a minor shift in a positive direction towards immigration. This is why Republicans have shifted from being anti-immigration to being anti-illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies