Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
As of 2019, Alaska had 732k people. D.C. had 706k.

So where is the magic number of disenfranchising the citizens from voting. Seems to me if you dont believe the 706k people in D.C. should have the vote, then shouldnt the vote be taken away from Alaska.

And Wyoming definitely should lose statehood and the ability to be represented, they only have 578k people. I am not going through the states, you can Duck Duck Go all the states, just be aware if you dont like idea of small population states voting, that means vote should be taken away from several small population states. Its not about square miles of territory, its about the population of USA citizens living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 09:00 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If Puerto Rico and D.C. leaned Republican, would you feel the same?
Yes. And if my aunt had something hangin' I'd call her my uncle. So what?

Old 03-24-2021, 09:06 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
As of 2019, Alaska had 732k people. D.C. had 706k.

So where is the magic number of disenfranchising the citizens from voting. Seems to me if you dont believe the 706k people in D.C. should have the vote, then shouldnt the vote be taken away from Alaska.

And Wyoming definitely should lose statehood and the ability to be represented, they only have 578k people. I am not going through the states, you can Duck Duck Go all the states, just be aware if you dont like idea of small population states voting, that means vote should be taken away from several small population states. Its not about square miles of territory, its about the population of USA citizens living there.
Those are all actual states, not mid-sized cities. Hell, Pittsburgh doesn't even have its own U.S. Representative, never mind two senators. Our congressional district contains the entire city, plus several large suburban municipalities.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:08 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
That is the one and only purpose of making Puerto Rico and Washington DC states. Instead of unifying America, the democrats are committed to forcing half of America to comply with their radical agenda. The other half are dependent on government "programs" or have already been fooled.
No, that's been the republicans dream forever. You think there are no republicans in DC or PR? really?

Old 03-24-2021, 09:13 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Those are all actual states, not mid-sized cities. Hell, Pittsburgh doesn't even have its own U.S. Representative, never mind two senators. Our congressional district contains the entire city, plus several large suburban municipalities.
No they are populations of USA citizens not represented. IF you dont believe in a certain size population of USA CITIZENS being able to be represented due to population then we need to take voting rights and statehood away from such SMALL STATES not meeting those standards. Dont want D.C. population to be represented, then take away the vote from Wyoming and Alaska and probably several other low population states.

Square miles of land don't vote, people living on those square miles of land do vote. In D.C. they just live closer together. And there are far more people in D.C than Wyoming. And very close to population of Alaska.

Course if you believe in square miles of land having a vote, then Alaska should have many times the vote of any other state.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:14 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Yes. And if my aunt had something hangin' I'd call her my uncle. So what?
Even if what she had hanging was female, but just unusually large? She might be offended.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:30 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just how supposedly did Trump and the Republicans eff up? What lies? You actually think that the radical agendas of Biden and the so-called progressive left of the Democrats is a good thing for our country? Unbelievable!

It's almost comical isn't it? I was watching updated videos of downtown Portland the other day. It's tragic. I live in Seattle and haven't ventured downtown in a year. I look at big Democratic cities like San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Baltimore and just scratch my head. Look at any migratory maps and see folks fleeing these cities and moving into smaller rural areas and it's apparent, even the left can't stand living inn these hellholes.

And yet the left somehow is able to puff up their collective chests and throw rocks at the right? Oh the irony....

Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Well yeah, the open southern border told us that on day 1 of Biden's presidency.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:36 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The Democratic party may possibly dominate in national elections for a time, but only because the Republican party effed-up so badly when Trump came along.

The resolution is simple: start a new party with integrity, or clean out the charlatans which dominate the Republican party today: the fake 'prophet' preachers who dominate right wing politics, the radio and TV pundits whose only defense for their lies is that they are 'entertainers' and can not be held to journalistic standards of truthfulness, and of course the criminals and liars like Trump and Sidney Powell.

The only way for Republicans to clean up the mess they made is to look in the mirror.
Just how supposedly did Trump and the Republicans eff up? What lies? You actually think that the radical agendas of Biden and the so-called progressive left of the Democrats is a good thing for our country? Unbelievable!
I realize you are butthurt about losing the election and Sidney Powell coming clean about the lies you have all been spreading, but get serious and honest here for a bit.

You followed Trump to lose the House, then the Senate and the White House. Your party has not won the popular vote for president in five of the last six national elections and you feel the need to resort to voter suppression because of it.

The Republican party has degenerated into a mean spirited arcane cult, and we see the evidence for that every day on the board here.

You are on the wrong side of history, the people are becoming sick of your party and everything it stands for.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:37 AM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
I do feel sorry for the people who are forced to live in Washington, D.C. However, I've heard that there are ways to get past the walls and razor wire, etc. that surround the city. It's difficult to get out, but it's not impossible.

Oh, and I've never enjoyed the kind of representation that you're talking about. I lived most of my life in a city that's similar in size to D.C., we never had two U.S. Senators.
Rhode Island isn't much larger than DC and has 2 Senators. Do you object to that as well?

Quote:
They're free to do so, if they're that worried about it. I also said that a mid-sized city having two U.S. senators isn't "meaningful representation." Boston, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc., etc., etc. don't have two senators. And neither should this city.
DC's population is larger than several states. Should those states lose their representation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
It's interesting: America's politics is a true 50/50 split. Just a few seats in the House, the Senate is 50/50 (and realistically, the GOP should have won at least one Atlanta seat) and both Trump and Biden had historic turnouts.

Why on earth do the Democrats rule like they won in a landslide? Why does Biden talk about 'unity' when he's full of it?
It's hard to create unity when a significant number of Republicans in Congress still think the election was stolen and supported the January 6th insurrection, and continue to profess their hate for all things Democrat. Same thing with the mouth breathing Trumpsters that infest the suburbs of many cities. They are still spouting their hatred for Democrats, and would be unlikely to join in any unity efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies