Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:50 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times

Advertisements

Don't let anyone convince you that having mass shootings in our everyday lives is just something we have to live with.

Quote:

I’m from Kentucky. I like guns. But I know things need to change

As a born-and-raised Kentuckian, I’ve been around guns and gun owners as long as I can remember.

Guns shouldn’t be any different. Potential gun buyers should have to prove themselves mentally sound enough to own a firearm. Each firearm a gun owner has in their possession should be registered, insured, and safely stored. Anyone trying to buy a gun who has a history of domestic abuse or other violent behavior should be prohibited from owning one. And family members should have the ability to petition the court to take firearms away from anyone they suspect could cause harm to themselves or others (also known as “red flag laws”).

Responsible gun owners by and large support basic gun regulations like these. A 2019 Johns Hopkins-Bloomberg survey found that 72 percent of gun owners support red flag laws. That same year, Ohio State University researchers found that 90 percent of gun owners supported universal background checks, 72 percent approved of mandatory waiting periods for new gun purchases, and 63 percent of gun owners were in favor of safe storage laws.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 12:53 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Get rid of semi-auto guns and we will still have shootings, but the death toll will be far smaller. Semi-autos are convenient but not really necessary for any legitimate purpose. The Founders did not have them when they penned the 2A.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:01 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
here's your problem - the devil is in the details.
Quote:
Anyone trying to buy a gun who has a history of domestic abuse or other violent behavior should be prohibited from owning one.
what defines a "history"?
"domestic abuse"?
"other violent behavior"?

is "history" 1 time or a pattern? Within the period a charge hasn't been adjudicated, or only once found guilty?

is "domestic abuse" some pattern, or a single incident? Husband and wife get in an argument, and either one starts physical behavior, maybe both are charged, maybe the cops are called but no one gets charged. At what point does it become "domestic abuse" that disqualifies one for gun ownership?

is "violent behavior" multiple convictions, or one charge?

It's much easier to say "a conviction of a felony which involved the brandishing or discharge of a firearm" than a simple "violent behavior".

Old 03-24-2021, 01:01 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
There are not mass shooting every day. And since guns dont act on their own, you might look elsewhere for a solution.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Get rid of semi-auto guns and we will still have shootings, but the death toll will be far smaller. Semi-autos are convenient but not really necessary for any legitimate purpose. The Founders did not have them when they penned the 2A.
so, instead of 15,000 gun homicides annually, we'd only have 14,900?

Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
It shouldn't be easier for a person to get a gun than to get help for mental health issues.

Healthcare for all, including help for those with mental issues would go a long way.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I like many things, some are not safe, so I refrain from doing them. I am intelligent enough to know which.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:12 PM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so, instead of 15,000 gun homicides annually, we'd only have 14,900?
Policy wonks call that a win.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:12 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,159,885 times
Some on here need Mental Help.

I'm so glad I have Guns. Never thought I would want them, but as Time went on - I felt the need for protection.

And we have mass shootings everyday? Everyday????

Old 03-24-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It shouldn't be easier for a person to get a gun than to get help for mental health issues.

Healthcare for all, including help for those with mental issues would go a long way.
people have a problem by seeking mental health care but being denied?

I know we all feel that mass killers = mentally-unstable, but that doesn't mean everyone who's mentally unstable has mass-killing tendencies. It's not "either I get mental health care, or I might buy a gun and kill a bunch of people".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies