Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 05:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,703,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I think it's fair to suggest with a crowd forming Chauvin wasn't paying attention to what was happening to Floyd.

His fellow officers as much as told Chauvin a pulse could not be felt on Floyd and suggested they turn Floyd to the recovery position.

Chauvin responded, "No, staying put where we got him." Again Floyd was a big man who hadn't been obey officers attempt to put him in a squad car. Chauvin has 19 years on the force. He was doing what he felt was warranted which in no ways excuses his behavior.

However, Floyd's death clearly wasn't intentional.
The crowd was begging with Chauvin to check a pulse!

Saying that distracted Chauvin would be like anesthesia allowing a patient on the table to die because the surgeon was telling anesthesia that the patient was severely bleeding and needed blood immediately. After anesthesia just stared in response, the surgeon and the entire OR staff began pleading with anesthesia to give blood. Later, anesthesia claims he/she was too distracted by the OR staff's cries to give blood that anesthesia didn't pay attention to the patient.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,248,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How can Chauvin have no clue what he was doing to Floyd? His fellow officers as much as told Chauvin a pulse could not be felt on Floyd and suggested they turn Floyd to the recovery position.

Pedestrians could see Floyd was most likely without a pulse. Chauvin had to have felt a loss of Floyd's muscle tone at the time Floyd died.

Either Chauvin knew and didn't care or Chauvin is dumber than the law allows.
Wish I was there. I am a crippled octogenarian. But I am actually a bigger human being than Floyd or the officer. My offensive ability is limited but then again they do not see it coming. I simple throw my body or my body and wheels into an attack.. And unless you are very quick or very strong you are done for.

Few people will come up fighting after getting hit by a 265 body and a 30 lb walker. And my legs are a disaster but not my arms.

So yeah I would ask the officer to get someone doing compressions or breathing. If not I go for it myself. One advantage is it is very likely no one will shoot me. Threaten to but shooting an unarmed octogenarian is very unlikely. .

Old 04-02-2021, 05:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 7,772,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
A hung jury will lead to a retrial of the case.
I think it's possible we'll see a hung jury. There will be a couple who feel Floyd was flat out murdered. A couple of feel the officer was doing his job. And the rest somewhere in the middle.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The crowd was begging with Chauvin to check a pulse!

Saying that distracted Chauvin would be like anesthesia allowing a patient on the table to die because the surgeon was telling anesthesia that the patient was severely bleeding and needed blood immediately. After anesthesia just stared in response, the surgeon and the entire OR staff began pleading with anesthesia to give blood. Later, anesthesia claims he/she was too distracted by the OR staff's cries to give blood that anesthesia didn't pay attention to the patient.

Oh, please the crowd wasn't "begging" for anything. The female firefighter testified as much. Yes, she and others tried to get Chauvin attention but with a crowd becoming unruly he wasn't listening.

To suggest Chauvin was intentionally trying to murder Floyd is ridiculous.

What he is guilty of is gross negligence.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:05 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,882,611 times
Quote:
I think it's possible we'll see a hung jury. There will be a couple who feel Floyd was flat out murdered. A couple of feel the officer was doing his job. And the rest somewhere in the middle.
Plausible imho.

What's not bloody likely is former PO Chauvin "goes free" in the event of a hung jury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Ok, you get to vote guilty. All we need is just one of us to say not guilty and Chauvin goes free.

Will you abide by the rule?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Plausible imho.

What's not bloody likely is former PO Chauvin "goes free" in the event of a hung jury.

No. Not possible. He'll be re-tried over and over again if necessary until a verdict is reached.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:15 PM

34,248 posts, read 19,254,567 times
Quote:
Way too early to say still. Right now? I think he would get convicted. But we have to see what the defense has got.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,767,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
What do you think a cop's business is? A cop's job is that of a trained guard dog. The onus is on Floyd not to get bitten when the dog gives a warning growl. If Chauvin was a 120 pound K-9 doberman, Floyd would have been torn to shreds and the dog would get a medal.
If Derek Chauvin was a dog, he is a rabid dog. Rabid dogs are menaces to society and are to be dealt with. You either lock them up or put them down. Chauvin should be treated as a rabid dog. If the legal system fails and he walks (and he isn't locked up), he will face street justice and will be put down like the mangy rabid mutt he is.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,767,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Ignorance spreads like wildfire. The fact is that Floyd died because Chauvin had his knee on that man's neck. Floyd was already in cuffs while he was lying down face forward. I know most of you want Chauvin and the other cops to get off, but guess what...the blood will be on YOUR HANDS if that's the case. The video footage shows it crystal clear, Chauvin killed Floyd, not died of some overdose. Cut the crap.
Conservatives are very much in denial that cops can be pigs. I don't call all cops pigs. I reserve pigs for those that are corrupted. The pigs are the ones posting racist gangster Popeye memes on Facebook. The pigs are those that shoot when the situation doesn't call for it like a person is down with no reach for a weapon. The pigs are those that choke men to death that do not stand as a threat.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:44 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,882,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If Derek Chauvin was a dog, he is a rabid dog. Rabid dogs are menaces to society and are to be dealt with. You either lock them up or put them down. Chauvin should be treated as a rabid dog. If the legal system fails and he walks (and he isn't locked up), he will face street justice and will be put down like the mangy rabid mutt he is.
It's a strange rationale to compare human beings to animals however, how would I know? This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Perhaps that member is confusing the statute upon which the charge is based?

Quote:
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.

History: 1963 c 753 art 1 s 609.205; 1984 c 628 art 3 s 11; 1985 c 294 s 6; 1986 c 444; 1989 c 290 art 6 s 5; 1995 c 244 s 14
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205

This is the only section that makes sense, or is suitable, considering the particular circumstances, imho:

A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies