Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 08:48 PM

728 posts, read 301,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am really offended by the title of this thread (combined with the fact it's a Sticky, meaning someone in authority thinks it's okay to smear someone like that and put it at the top of the board).

The man was killed by the force of a boot attached to a murdering man, while supported by his posse.

We saw the video. There is no disputing what killed him.

He was not killed by fentanyl - what could be a possible motive of not allowing this man to Rest In Peace and making sure justice is served by convicting his killer and accomplices.

A stupid person brings harm to himself and others.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:55 PM

18,349 posts, read 18,966,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
A stupid person brings harm to himself and others.
Stupidity, even drug abuse or petty crime isn’t justification for death he suffered.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,716,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am really offended by the title of this thread (combined with the fact it's a Sticky, meaning someone in authority thinks it's okay to smear someone like that and put it at the top of the board).

The man was killed by the force of a boot attached to a murdering man, while supported by his posse.

We saw the video. There is no disputing what killed him.

He was not killed by fentanyl - what could be a possible motive of not allowing this man to Rest In Peace and making sure justice is served by convicting his killer and accomplices.
Answer this one: He was in the back of the patrol car saying, "I can't breathe" when nobody was touching him (at that point) When you can't breathe, you can't speak!!! Example: I was at work and started choking on a piece of meat. I could not tell my lunch partner that meat was stuck in my throat because I had no air to make sounds!! I motioned with my hand to my throat, he jumped up and performed the Heimlich Manuver. Popping the meat out! After that was clear in my throat I could speak again, albeit raspy for a bit.Floyd was panicking and saying he could not breathe numerous times before they ever restrained him on the ground. He was under the influence and was not cooperating with their commands. He was also claustrophobic.

So the many, many times he said, "I cant breathe" he actually could breathe because he could make air sounds which make speech. Did the officer hold his neck down too long? Yes. He could have positioned him in another way, like sit on the sidewalk. There were enough officers to move him from the sidewalk to a standing or sitting position. I think the officer holding him down made him panic. He asked, "are you going to kill me?" that comes from his parental training that cops are bad. He was trained to fear cops. :O

Old 04-02-2021, 09:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 548,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No. Not possible. He'll be re-tried over and over again if necessary until a verdict is reached.
The State will evaluate the cost of a new trial and offer some better plea deals to end it. Alternatively, I could see the defense requesting a bench trial or change of venue depending on the statements of the jurors about their votes.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:00 PM

34,755 posts, read 16,775,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Stupidity, even drug abuse or petty crime isn’t justification for death he suffered.
Inviting interactions with the police often does not end well.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:47 PM

5,973 posts, read 2,215,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Answer this one: He was in the back of the patrol car saying, "I can't breathe" when nobody was touching him (at that point) When you can't breathe, you can't speak!!! Example: I was at work and started choking on a piece of meat. I could not tell my lunch partner that meat was stuck in my throat because I had no air to make sounds!! I motioned with my hand to my throat, he jumped up and performed the Heimlich Manuver. Popping the meat out! After that was clear in my throat I could speak again, albeit raspy for a bit.Floyd was panicking and saying he could not breathe numerous times before they ever restrained him on the ground. He was under the influence and was not cooperating with their commands. He was also claustrophobic.

So the many, many times he said, "I cant breathe" he actually could breathe because he could make air sounds which make speech. Did the officer hold his neck down too long? Yes. He could have positioned him in another way, like sit on the sidewalk. There were enough officers to move him from the sidewalk to a standing or sitting position. I think the officer holding him down made him panic. He asked, "are you going to kill me?" that comes from his parental training that cops are bad. He was trained to fear cops. :O
And that means 9 min. neck to the head was smart for a guy saying he cannot breathe? Do you think that helps the cop's case?

What your saying is:
1. Guy complains he cannot breathe while handcuffed
2. Take cannot breathe guy to the ground handcuffed
3. Restrain cannot breathe guy by placing a knee on his neck with two other officers on him
4. Continue position until cannot breathe guy is now no longer moving guy
5. Fellow cop checks no longer breathing guy and feels no pulse
6. Cops continue prone, handcuffed, and X3 body weight w/ one on neck position of cannot breathe guy.
7. Opps?

I would argue it would make the prosecution case stronger and the defense weaker to argue that angle. You would be admitting that a CPR and positional asphyxiation trained cop should have known the end result of his actions prior to taking them and proceeded with a 9:00 min knee to the neck.

Oh wait that is what happened to George Floyd.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:11 PM

8,861 posts, read 5,347,088 times
I might have trouble convicting the police officer of murder. But there are other things he could have been charged with.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:26 PM

728 posts, read 301,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I might have trouble convicting the police officer of murder. But there are other things he could have been charged with.

A police officer is a role that ordinary people like you and I are paid to play. Chauvin is on trial for not playing that role good enough to win an Oscar for best actor. Are we being fair to that guy; especially, when he had to deal with Floyd who went off script and didn't play his part rght?

Old 04-02-2021, 11:25 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,840,695 times
So Derek Chauvin is found guilty on the higher 2nd Degree murder charge in this case. What happens when the feds charge him with the higher 1st degree federal murder charge? Where does that trial happen, and what do you think the outcome will be? Keep in mind that fed charges result in 99% conviction.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:40 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,541,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
The state (prosecution) needs to prove only that Chauvin’s actions “contributed to the death,” Judge Peter A. Cahill has written, not that they were the “sole cause of death.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/u...-strategy.html
That standard doesn’t sound right. It’s usually a “but for” standard. Otherwise, anyone who serves someone a burger could be tried for murder if the guy later has a heart attack. It’s true it doesn’t have to be a sole cause, but a substantial one.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.