Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 03:02 PM

513 posts, read 469,805 times

Advertisements

They found chewed fentanyl meth pills in the back seat of the police car, that Floyd was shoving so many pills down his throat. I guess why Floyd said to the police when they had him down , I ate too many drugs'

Old 04-08-2021, 03:02 PM

728 posts, read 302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
As I noted earlier, the judge is being fair in Mr Nelsons duties and his limited team .
True that sending something over last minute is a maneuver more often used by the defense , So justice is balancing the scale in the procedural sense. Well at least for a 'nano second' it is

Would you say that you have learned a lot from following this case unfolding in court and now have an informed perspective on the George Floyd incident?

Old 04-08-2021, 03:06 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docyabut View Post
They found chewed fentanyl meth pills in the back seat of the police car, that Floyd was shoving so many pills down his throat. I guess why Floyd said to the police when they had him down , I ate too many drugs'
not looking too promising for the prosecution.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:10 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Dr. Tobin's statement that someone in good health would have died from Chavin's actions. Also significant was his statement that no injury would be shown at autopsy.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:24 PM

163 posts, read 55,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Odd. I'm looking at the report you're talking about and it states "no life-threatening injuries identified."

The criminal complaint against Derek Chavin states the autopsy "revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation."

Andrew Baker, the chief medical exminaner in Hennepin County, stated that given the 11 ng/mL of fentanyl found in Floyd's body, that "if he were found dead at home alone & no other apparent cuases, this could be acceptable to call an overdose."

As well, this past December, Baker reviewed findings during a meeting with the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office. Baker specifically highlighted the unlikelihood that the knee restraint was NOT likely to result in asphyxiation: "... it appeared to Dr. Baker that the pressure to the neck was coming from the back or posterior lateral portions of the back, and none of these strictures would impact breathing or cause loss of consciousness..."

Baker did, as well, point to the drugs in Floyd's body, and as well as to the 75%-80% narrowing of coronary arteries which put Floyd "at risk for a sudden cardiac arrest." The record of the meeting states "Dr. Baker offered that one possibility for the pathway of Floyd’s death is that Floyd’s heart was starting to fail because of the stress, drugs, enlarged heart, and [heart] disease . . . He said that once the heart starts to fail … one of the symptoms is the perception that you cannot breathe."

This resulted in threats coming in to Dr. Baker and to his staff which made the presence of police protection mandatory.

If it's such a "closed case" as you say why the threats?

And if it's a closed case, why were no life-threatening injuries identified? Why was no evidence showing asphyxia or strangulation?
An expert just testified earlier today that visible injuries would not be expected when the pressure exerted is static. He used the example of sitting on a hard church bench for a while. You would not see any injuries on your butt even though sitting on the bench for a period of time would be painful in that area. This is different from the type of bruising you'd expect to see if someone was hit with a baseball or some other blunt object. The expert also used the example of suffocating someone with a pillow. You would not see any bruising on the face or neck. The expert also testified that there is no correlation between visible bruising and asphyxia.

The ME mentioned "stress" as a possible reason for heart failure. I wonder what he meant by that? 90 pounds of weight embedded in your neck is quite stressful I'd say.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I had a young and wild friend who overdosed on prescription narcotics a few years ago, and she ended up in the intensive care unit with a breathing tube on a breathing machine until the narcotic (opioid) “metabolized” enough from her system so that she would be more awake and breathe on her own. The toxicity from an opioid overdose led her to have depressed mentation, and basically not initiating any of her own breathing so a machine had to breathe for her. She was not running around telling folks “I can’t breathe”.

I also learned that fentanyl is one of the drugs they use in the ICU to make people tolerate having a breathing tube better: it treats pain and it makes them very sleepy. People who get the breathing machine because of their breathing difficulties will get fentanyl for pain and sedation, so they don’t run around like George Floyd screaming I can’t breathe or the tube is hurting my throat and makes me want to gag.

I also learned from my friend’s grandmother, who ended up in hospice, that opioids like morphine and fentanyl are used to treat pain and air hunger during the last stages of dying, so that they don’t run around screaming I can’t breathe as George Floyd did.

The non-clinical and clinical effects of opioid use are so well-documented. Are Chauvin apologists just denying reality to satisfy their need to be contrarian? Or do they enjoy being comically obtuse and uninformed? I admit, these two options are not mutually exclusive.

Thank you for imparting your experience here.
^^ Your observations are quite accurate. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:27 PM

728 posts, read 302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Dr. Tobin's statement that someone in good health would have died from Chavin's actions. Also significant was his statement that no injury would be shown at autopsy.

Yes, he did say that applying pressure on his butt while sitting on it would not show any signs of injury later. Can we conclude that the pressure of Chauvin's restraint on Floyd was as benign as sitting on one's butt?

Old 04-08-2021, 03:30 PM

163 posts, read 55,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Steven Crowder did. Not that I completely agree with how he reenacted it. I think the guys knee should have been higher up on the neck, and one knee, not two on him. Still brings up some interesting things.

https://youtu.be/5qHLXbVDnkc?t=4458
Is this a joke?

Old 04-08-2021, 03:32 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
An expert just testified earlier today that visible injuries would not be expected when the pressure exerted is static. He used the example of sitting on a hard church bench for a while. You would not see any injuries on your butt even though sitting on the bench for a period of time would be painful in that area. This is different from the type of bruising you'd expect to see if someone was hit with a baseball or some other blunt object. The expert also used the example of suffocating someone with a pillow. You would not see any bruising on the face or neck. The expert also testified that there is no correlation between visible bruising and asphyxia.

The ME mentioned "stress" as a possible reason for heart failure. I wonder what he meant by that? 90 pounds of weight embedded in your neck is quite stressful I'd say.
Shoulder blade, not neck. Camera perspective bias.

And why the threats against Dr. Baker?

Are you sure you read the actual autopsy report?

Old 04-08-2021, 03:35 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Drats! Dern doctor smock and his education on asphyxiation.
Imagine that! He is explaining the Dynamics and physical ways no bruising or petichea hemorrhage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies