Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:26 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You gotta laugh at these poor butt-hurt Lefties who see every statement by Republicans as an attempt at voter suppression.
Lefties have no opinion; their judgement is absolute!
Historically, they've gotten a lot of traction making that argument, so they'll keep going back to the well until it doesn't work anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 12:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I said this country was founded on Christian values. Read the constitution. That's why federal and state agencies are closed on Sundays. It has been like that since this country was founded but if you want to change that go ahead. I'm sure the millions of federal and state employees including liberal employees and the teacher's union will love to work on Sundays. It's a famous proposition.

I'm guessing that you are not a government employee that could say all governments employees should work on Sundays. Make it the Secular/Atheist amendment: ALL Government state and federal agencies including public schools should be open on Sunday. Just make sure you amend the constitution because you will lose in court quick.
And I can repeat, this isn't 1920. We are not a christian nation. Let's divorce outdated religion from politics.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:36 PM

13,444 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
And I can repeat, this isn't 1920. We are not a christian nation. Let's divorce outdated religion from politics.

What's up with 1920? is that number supposed to mean something to you? This country wasn't founded in 1920. 75% of Americans identified themselves as Christians, 62% are active members of a church. The constitution who was founded on Christian Values protects every American to worship their religion and that's why all government business are closed on SUNDAYS (Christian Value) The majority of private business are closed on Sunday (Christian Value)

If that's not a Christian Nation, then I don't lknow what is. But you can wish all you want. Go ahead and run and see how far you get by erasing over 250 years of Christian values and traditions and forcing everybody to work on Sunday including X-Mas. Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2021, 12:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Republicans cling to their "guns, corruption, religion and hypocrisy."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-for-religious
Good grief. Just Schumer throwing the race card out that for the 10 millionth time. I thought liberals were tolerant? Why make fun of the Republican for her beliefs? She's not hurting you.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:42 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Sorry, but we have freedom of religion under the constitution. That means you don't get to tell people what to believe. Why are you being so intolerant? I don't agree with her, but I respect her right to believe it. I understand it.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:43 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
What's up with 1920? is that number supposed to mean something to you? This country wasn't founded in 1920. 75% of Americans identified themselves as Christians, 62% are active members of a church. The constitution who was founded on Christian Values protects every American to worship their religion and that's why all government business are closed on SUNDAYS (Christian Value) The majority of private business are closed on Sunday (Christian Value)

If that's not a Christian Nation, then I don't lknow what is. But you can wish all you want. Go ahead and run and see how far you get by erasing over 250 years of Christian values and traditions and forcing everybody to work on Sunday including X-Mas. Good Luck!
Pick whatever date you feel, if you want to argue semantics. 1920 is a meaningless date. The point is we are not a christian nation, and the history behind laws with a basis in religion should be ignored at this point. It is logical to have the notion of sundays being special divorced from politics.

And I've read the christian bible cover to cover multiple times. This country was NOT founded on christian values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Sorry, but we have freedom of religion under the constitution. That means you don't get to tell people what to believe. Why are you being so intolerant? I don't agree with her, but I respect her right to believe it. I understand it.
You are more than welcome to believe whatever you want! Please don't have politicians set policy because of religion. That's kind of the point here

Old 03-25-2021, 12:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Republicans cling to their "guns, corruption, religion and hypocrisy."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-for-religious
No, but Schumer's doing a good finding the demonization of any "vote whenever however and whoever you want to be" restrictions.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So?
It's what she believes. Deal with it.
Her religious beliefs shouldn't be imposed on others.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:32 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
If we are going to look at history, we should be providing a long window for voting. In VA, during the first national election voting for president took place between December 15, 1788 and January 10, 1789.

The Virginia Constitution of 1776 (authored by James Madison and George Mason) permitted special elections on any day of the week - as compared to almost a month as noted above.

"In case of vacancies, the Speaker of either House shall shall issue writs for new elections." https://www.law.gmu.edu/assets/files...nstitution.pdf

Old 03-25-2021, 01:37 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Her religious beliefs shouldn't be imposed on others.
Quite right. What's next, requiring Jews to swear on a Christian Bible before holding public office? Until the Civil War, this was a requirement in NC. Or perhaps a religious test to vote. In MD, Jews did not get the right to vote until Jan. 1826 when the "Jew Bill" was passed.

https://www.msa.maryland.gov/megafil...artogensis.pdf

And if we are a Christian nation, then what of those Christians, such as Seventh Day Adventists who have their Sabbath on Saturday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies