Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:38 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times

Advertisements

What a BS excuse from this politician. Leave religion out of politics. We always went to church on Saturday because the church made it easier for people to attend since some couldn't make it on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 05:19 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Her religious litmus test for voting would seem less disingenuous if she didn't support a serial philander in the last election for president. But perhaps she is edging towards Biblical marriage and polygamy.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:28 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
What about the majority of people that are not religious (A lot more than are these days, especially young folks), we can vote on Sunday while others are communing with their imaginary friends.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
And yes -- once again -- deeming one religious ideology as what all religions should adhere to is the problem with religion in the USA.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:34 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Keep your religion out of government. No one is forcing you to vote on Sunday. Let people who don’t regard Sunday vote and vote early.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Government business are closed on Sundays. To make the government open on Sunday for a few to vote , means you have to order government employees who usually have Sunday off to work. There is a reason why the government federal and state closed on Sundays and it has to do with the constitutional right of worship.

What this Senator said is basically government business should be closed on Sunday. I don't see a problem. I don't see Democrats trying to open government on Sundays.

I don't get how you concluded that this politician's mindset (you read people's minds now) that wants to keep younger, working people from voting by keeping government closed on Sundays. There are 7 days in a week. I guess I don't know how young people can get a license or do bank stuff since the DMV and banks are closed on Sundays. I wonder how they get things done when places of business are closed on Sundays. That's a mystery.

I didn't know keeping government business close on Sunday is suppressing the votes of young people working. I don't how they ever get DMV stuff done, get tested or renew the licenses or have cars in the first place or deal with the banks.
Oh, please.

The people who man the polls aren't government workers. They are volunteers. The polling stations are often in churches and community centers, not government offices. And your assertion that "government business are closed on Sundays" is beyond wrong. Police stations are open, aren't they? Army bases? Fire stations? National park rangers are working. Numerous government employees end up working on Sundays.

As for your other assertions regarding banks (which have NOTHING to do with this topic) most people I know do their banking business on-line. It doesn't matter if it's 2pm on Wednesday or 2am on Sunday. And while I had to go the DMV year before last to get a license renewed, guess what, they open at 7am. I didn't miss any work at all.

But in the end, this isn't about "keeping government business close on Sunday" at all. The political parties are separate from the government. The volunteers who man the polls aren't government workers. The polling stations opened on Sundays aren't government offices.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:39 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So thats why they let Walmart open on Sunday. And here where I am they keep pushing for Sunday liquor sales. Yet its evil to vote on Sunday?????

Maybe if they didnt make it so much WORK to vote, it wouldnt be such a unChristian thing to do? So do they also not vote on Saturdays for Jews and Fridays for Muslims?
Agreed. Maybe we shouldn't be voting on Fridays or Saturdays either.
I remember when Walmart was only open 12-6 on Sundays and they closed at night to stock the shelves. Now, we all get to witness the trashy stocking sessions every time we go there. Yay.
Voting isn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Entire states vote by mail without issue today. People have been voting by mail since the civil war. What could go wrong? What specifically are you talking about?

Let me repeat. Why do you want to make it more difficult for people to vote?
Voting isn't hard to begin with.
Voting on Sunday in and of itself isn't a problem with me, but when I see politicians from either side getting overly worked up one way or the other, there's always a self-serving agenda behind it.
Always.
They couldn't care less about making voting easier because they're boy scouts and want to do the right thing. They just want to manipulate the votes for themselves.
I think there's a bigger issue here that needs to be addressed but everyone's too busy reading the cue cards.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Agreed. Maybe we shouldn't be voting on Fridays or Saturdays either.
I remember when Walmart was only open 12-6 on Sundays and they closed at night to stock the shelves. Now, we all get to witness the trashy stocking sessions every time we go there. Yay.
Voting isn't work.

Voting isn't hard to begin with.
Voting on Sunday in and of itself isn't a problem with me, but when I see politicians from either side getting overly worked up one way or the other, there's always a self-serving agenda behind it.
Always.
They couldn't care less about making voting easier because they're boy scouts and want to do the right thing. They just want to manipulate the votes for themselves.
I think there's a bigger issue here that needs to be addressed but everyone's too busy reading the cue cards.
Exercising one's legal right to vote =/= shopping at Walmart.

The bigger issue is that voting should not be overly burdensome. Lawful citizens should be able to participate easily, without losing work hours, traveling great distances or standing in long lines. Also, they should be assured that every vote counts. Equally.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-26-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-26-2021, 11:07 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exercising one's legal right to vote =/= shopping at Walmart.

The bigger issue is that voting should not be overly burdensome. Lawful citizens should be able to participate easily, without losing work hours, traveling great distances or standing in long lines. Also, they should be assured that every vote counts. Equally.
Generally, voting isn't burdensome.
Make it easier at your own risk. I'm all for it, but blindly going with the system that one party promotes seems... not wise.
Every vote should count. If we can guarantee that via the USPS, then I fully expect to never lose a package or a check ever again. Never again. Not holding my breath. Besides, the way politics works, there's an even greater chance of ballots getting "lost" or showing up out of thin air than there already is.
As far as being counted equally, well, even with our convoluted politics, I don't recall anyone's votes only being counted as .769 of a vote or 1.63 of a vote. It's all just 1.0 last I checked... except for a few double votes that slip in.
If you're talking about the Electoral College, I vehemently oppose getting rid of that. Small states matter. It already is the equal playing field that you seek.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:15 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So?
It's what she believes. Deal with it.

But shopping, drinking, gambling, sporting events, etc are fine by her on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies