Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 05:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I know a RN in TX who got vaccinated and got Covid a second time! she was put on a Vent. She did recover, thank Goodness.

It just shows, it's not 100 percent for some people.

I think some people - assume, once vaccinated, you are Free, Free, you can't get covid.

I already had Covid. But it does not mean, I can't get it again. I know people who have had it twice. Just like the RN I have mentioned.
It was never meant to be 100 percent. It was suppose to reduce the spread and help to reduce the impact of symptoms.

The RN in TX without the vaccine might have not been able to get off the vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 05:16 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Just a way to try to get people in masks forever. Got my first shot today. Mask comes off May 1st.
By reporting extremely optimistic data that shows the vaccine is quite effective at reducing the risks for which we wear the mask?

I'm not sure you're thinking this through.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Woo hoo --- folks -- no one ever said it was 100 % -- you folks really need to listen or read slower.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:22 PM

462 posts, read 207,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is 89 out of 862,955 fully vaccinated people. I wonder how many got sick within two weeks of the last dose?
The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were said to be 95% effective. Meaning, 5% of the people vaccinated, could still catch Covid.

Sounds like they did.

Why is this a surprise?

Old 03-25-2021, 05:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
No vaccine is 100% effective.
It's been established that a chance of reinfection or infection after vaccination may occur.
Minnesota will use these 89 cases to maintain the control over their residents to the extent that they can, and to the extent that Minnesotans allow it.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:32 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
MN, population 5.6M. About 600,000 people had their 2nd shot more than two weeks ago (not 800K, as in the article). Since Jan. 1st, about 80,000 people have tested positive for COVID (in Minnesota.) Of that 80,000...89 were after the vaccine. The 5M general pop. got 80K cases - while the 600K post-vaccine got 89. (if you "math it out" to the same sample size - 600K without a vaccine - it's 9600 sick. Vs. 89.)

Your analysis is flawed, you can't just 'math it out' as there are too many unknowns and many ways to misapply the numbers. Just one example, taking the total positive cases since Jan 1 and comparing that to vaccinated cases in the same time period doesn't take into account that those 600000 people were not all vaccinated at the same time, it's been a ramp making a direct comparison specious at best.

Before anyone goes off and starts spouting off saying I'm some kind of 'antivaxxer', my comment is not a statement about efficacy, it's about correctly determining efficacy.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Your analysis is flawed, you can't just 'math it out' as there are too many unknowns and many ways to misapply the numbers. Just one example, taking the total positive cases since Jan 1 and comparing that to vaccinated cases in the same time period doesn't take into account that those 600000 people were not all vaccinated at the same time, it's been a ramp making a direct comparison specious at best.

Before anyone goes off and starts spouting off saying I'm some kind of 'antivaxxer', my comment is not a statement about efficacy, it's about correctly determining efficacy.
Actually I think you can “math it out “; that’s what clinical trials do all the time. I realized that my previous post was erroneous; it’s not 99.99% effective. The efficacy compares % of people without vaccine who get sick with % of those with vaccine who get sick. I think Roodd279 got it right.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:57 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Actually I think you can “math it out “; that’s what clinical trials do all the time. I realized that my previous post was erroneous; it’s not 99.99% effective. The efficacy compares % of people without vaccine who get sick with % of those with vaccine who get sick. I think Roodd279 got it right.

I'm sorry, but simply saying that "that's what clinical trials do" is a gross generalization that misses the mark.

Let's take an edge case, say that between Jan 1 and Mar 15, 1000 people were vaccinated and that the remaining 590000 were vaccinated after Mar 15. Then that 89 number doesn't look so good. Obviously the distribution isn't that extreme, but it does show that the actual distribution over a time period is a significant variable and to assume the other extreme, that all 600K spontaneously were vaccinated Jan 1 is just as erroneous.

Data points like "efficacy" don't exist in a vacuum, time periods matter, target population during those time periods matter, and seemingly 'good enough' back of the napkin calculations are rough approximations (at best) that have to be put into context.

Again, I'm not attacking the notion that vaccines are beneficial, just let's not bandy about random calculations that may be technically correct in the context in which they are presented as being representative of something that they're not.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
When they were individually vaccinated does not matter. The vaccinated and unvaccinated folks are from a pool with the same exposures.

Quote:
Let's take an edge case, say that between Jan 1 and Mar 15, 1000 people were vaccinated and that the remaining 590000 were vaccinated after Mar 15. Then that 89 number doesn't look so good. Obviously the distribution isn't that extreme, but it does show that the actual distribution over a time period is a significant variable and to assume the other extreme, that all 600K spontaneously were vaccinated Jan 1 is just as erroneous.

Data points like "efficacy" don't exist in a vacuum, time periods matter, target population during those time periods matter, and seemingly 'good enough' back of the napkin calculations are rough approximations (at best) that have to be put into context.

Again, I'm not attacking the notion that vaccines are beneficial, just let's not bandy about random calculations that may be technically correct in the context in which they are presented as being representative of something that they're not.
Your extremes do not exist, though. The number vaccinated is cumulative. Ultimately the vaccinated and unvaccinated are from a group with the same exposure to the virus over time.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Minnesota will use these 89 cases to maintain the control over their residents to the extent that they can, and to the extent that Minnesotans allow it.
Every single one of you "it's about controlling the people" types will see USA open up more and more from summer into fall until there are no more mask restrictions despite continued low rate of covid infections, then you'll have to figure out something else to be irrationally paranoid about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies