Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:44 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times

Advertisements

... what other country do you think is better?

Is there a libertarian ideal in any other country that you can point to with greater freedom where you would rather live if you could?

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-29-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 07:24 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
... what other country do you think is better?

Is there a libertarian ideal in any other country that you can point to with greater freedom where you would rather live if you could?
I would love to live in one of the Scandinavian countries.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
The US is going to hell. Im trying to get a second passport just in case there is a collapse out here at some point.

Do you not notice every freedom being taken away year after year? Crisis after crisis? Look what they have already done with this Covid non-sense.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:48 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
New Zealand and Switzerland ranked hugest on the libertarian scale in 2020.

Quote:
The jurisdictions that took the top 10 places, in order, were New Zealand, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Denmark, Australia, Canada, Ireland, Estonia, and Germany and Sweden (tied in 9th place)
https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index/2020

But I think that's dated on Hong Kong. No way anyone should go there. Canada has been self destructing too. They are calling themselves a racist country.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I would love to live in one of the Scandinavian countries.
Is there some reason you aren't going there?

Old 03-29-2021, 07:53 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
There arent any libertarian countries. Humans prefer to be treated like pack animals.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
The USA is no longer a country, but a failing Empire.

Better countries........Japan and Switzerland.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The US is going to hell. Im trying to get a second passport just in case there is a collapse out here at some point.

Do you not notice every freedom being taken away year after year? Crisis after crisis? Look what they have already done with this Covid non-sense.
No, I do not see "every freedom being taken away year after year." I tried to think, what could I do 20, 30, 40 years ago that I can't do today? (Not including the temporary restrictions under the pandemic)?

Well, I can't board an airplane without going through tight security. I can't take liquids in my luggage. Other than that, I pretty much have the same freedoms I did back when.

Some things have changed, however. My gay friends are able to get married, for one thing. And I can buy and smoke pot, if I so choose. This year I was able to vote without having to take time off from work and standing in line.

So if anything, I think we are getting freer every year. Maybe you could list some of those freedoms we've lost? And again, I don't count the emergency public safety measures being taken for Covid-19. I compare those to sacrifices we made during WWII, like gas rationing and curfews. Like those, this is temporary.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:06 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
No, I do not see "every freedom being taken away year after year." I tried to think, what could I do 20, 30, 40 years ago that I can't do today? (Not including the temporary restrictions under the pandemic)?

Well, I can't board an airplane without going through tight security. I can't take liquids in my luggage. Other than that, I pretty much have the same freedoms I did back when.

Some things have changed, however. My gay friends are able to get married, for one thing. And I can buy and smoke pot, if I so choose. This year I was able to vote without having to take time off from work and standing in line.

So if anything, I think we are getting freer every year. Maybe you could list some of those freedoms we've lost? And again, I don't count the emergency public safety measures being taken for Covid-19. I compare those to sacrifices we made during WWII, like gas rationing and curfews. Like those, this is temporary.

I'll give you one freedom that we lost. You cannot use your 1st amendment right of free speech to kneel during the national anthem. It's totally taboo!

In reality the "we've lost all of our freedoms" talking point is totally without merit.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 PM

926 posts, read 417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is there some reason you aren't going there?
Unless he (or she) is a citizen of the targeted country, what makes you think he can just pack up and move there?

There are rules and laws about who can live where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies