Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 09:02 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-milita...102400071.html

"One of the most enduring, indestructible toxic chemicals known to man – Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF), which is a PFAS “forever chemical” – is being secretly incinerated next to disadvantaged communities in the United States. The people behind this crackpot operation? It’s none other than the US military.

As new data published by Bennington College this week documents, the US military ordered the clandestine burning of over 20m pounds of AFFF and AFFF waste between 2016-2020. That’s despite the fact that there is no evidence that incineration actually destroys these synthetic chemicals. In fact, there is good reason to believe that burning AFFF simply emits these toxins into the air and onto nearby communities, farms, and waterways. The Pentagon is effectively conducting a toxic experiment and has enrolled the health of millions of Americans as unwitting test subjects.

AFFF was invented and popularized by the US Armed Forces. Introduced during the Vietnam War to combat petroleum fires on naval ships and air strips, AFFF was the whizz kid of chemical engineering that forged a synthetic molecular bond stronger than anything known in nature. Once manufactured, this carbon-fluorine bond is virtually indestructible. Refusing to become fuel, this herculean bond overpowers and tames even the most incendiary infernos."

To those of us that live, or have lived, in one of these communities, this article will come as no surprise. The problem in NH has been ongoing news since 2014 when problems first started showing in water samples from wells. It's continued on into the Great Bay area as well and appears to continue to spread.

Will the government ever learn the chemicals are not the answer? First Agent Orange and now this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Not surprising at all!!

This is right on par for the US govt.

Perhaps they need a taste of their own medicine?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
OP do you even have any real concept of why AFFF was invented or the lives it has saved or would you rather a Class B Fire spread and destroy lives and equipment when it occurs. This product like so many that have been invented over the years were designed along the standard practices of their day but I guess allowing leaking petroleum products to contaminate everything it touches and spread fire and devastation is a better choice...

Old 03-26-2021, 09:32 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP do you even have any real concept of why AFFF was invented or the lives it has saved or would you rather a Class B Fire spread and destroy lives and equipment when it occurs. This product like so many that have been invented over the years were designed along the standard practices of their day but I guess allowing leaking petroleum products to contaminate everything it touches and spread fire and devastation is a better choice...
LOL the Chief made us drink some of that crap back in the day.. We were always told if the boat goes down and you see a can of it in the water to grab it 'cause it beats seawater to drink......

Old 03-26-2021, 09:33 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
OK, and the tons upon tons of plastic garbage and trillions of cigarette-butts that find their way into the oceans..........that is more troubling to me.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:12 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
LOL the Chief made us drink some of that crap back in the day.. We were always told if the boat goes down and you see a can of it in the water to grab it 'cause it beats seawater to drink......
Actually that was the older Animal Protein Foam in the red cans that could sustain you in an emergency..

Old 03-26-2021, 10:38 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
PFAS pollution becoming a big issue in some places these days. See Gurnee, IL.

I would not brush it off.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:06 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
The US military has been polluting across the world for decades, not just the US.

"while firefighters were told it was as safe as soap.

Synthetic carbon-fluorine chemistry, now classified as per- and poly- fluorinated compounds (PFAS), are coming into focus today as fuelling an unprecedented environmental crisis. After the briefest moment of practical utility, PFAS compounds come to haunt life with roving mobility, torpid toxicity, and a monstrous immortality. As we now know, exposure to trace amounts of these “forever chemicals” is strongly linked to a host of cancers, developmental disorders, immune dysfunction, and infertility. Exposure has also been linked to aggravated Covid-19 infections and weakened vaccine efficacy."

Hey now, they told us the vaccines are safe also, you know, "trust science".

Old 03-26-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Yes, I'm aware of the lives it has save due to fires, etc. I'm also aware that it's causing cancer and thyroid problems in both private citizens via their drinking water as well as in firefighters around the country.

My point is, the government should be making sure products are not going to cause cancer before they put them into use for decades on end. How many people have to die from drinking water or swimming in it to make it worthwhile?

And why is the government burning this crap when they don't even believe that burning it will kill the chemicals in it?

Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK, and the tons upon tons of plastic garbage and trillions of cigarette-butts that find their way into the oceans..........that is more troubling to me.

Last I looked, neither of those caused cancer in people's drinking water. Sounds like misplaced priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies