Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 07:13 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

BTW, I'm of Hispanic descent. All my Hispanic relatives have valid ID. It's insulting to suggest that minorities are incapable of obtaining valid ID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBxZGWCdgs
That video is great.

Daughter's husband and in-laws are Mexican. The ones in the US all have IDs and agree it's racist and insulting to accuse minorities of being too stupid to get one.

Other relatives are black and some American Indians. Everybody has ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 07:35 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Learn me --- where is it stated in the Constitution one must have an ID to vote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Oldhag quoted it before. Time, place, and manner of elections is up to the states, but with Congressional oversight if they want. No federal law forbids voter ID policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just because something is not specifically listed in the Constitution does not make it unconstitutional. Voter ID laws, including ones with pictures and/or provided by a government entity, were upheld as constitutional by Crawford v Marion (2008). The state only need prove they have taken steps to be inclusive and not create undue burdens on voters. This is what my state does to help those that struggle with the ID requirement - https://www.voteriders.org/states/kentucky/

The Kansas ID law (Fish v Schwab) that required residents to provide a birth certificate or passport if they wanted to register to vote was struck down at the Circuit level because there were not reasonable alternatives available to an estimated 30,000 voters and the state could only find evidence of around 60 fraudulent registrations of non-citizens. That was unconstitutional - burdensome voter without proof it was crucial to safeguard election. Allegedly, if Kansas had experienced a run of non-citizens registering or had a significant illegal population, such as California or Texas, the results may have come out different.
It's all in the 'interpretation' of the Constitution as to a law's constitutionality. So are we saying we are going to deny a person their right to have their say in representation, if they are a citizen without an ID? If that's true, then Due Process is next.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:35 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Nowadays with the left, if they don't like something, they say it's racist. Only Republicans can be racist though. Dems are exempt. lol hypocrites.

How the heck is requiring an ID to vote in this country racist? Y'all can't be serious.
Since we all need a photo ID to drive a car, open bank account, cash checks, fly a commercial airplane, visit Joe at the White House, apply for welfare, etc... wouldn't making sure every American has a proper photo ID be an imperative, even if we have to help them by subsidizing the process???

So why is Joe "you know the thing" O'Biden not pushing for legislation to make sure every racial minority in the US has a proper photo ID? Nope, instead, Joe seems happy if minority persons in the US vote, but doesn't care that they cannot drive a car, open a bank account, cash checks, fly a commercial airplane, visit Joe at the White House, apply for welfare, etc...

Old 03-26-2021, 07:38 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
That video is great.

Daughter's husband and in-laws are Mexican. The ones in the US all have IDs and agree it's racist and insulting to accuse minorities of being too stupid to get one.

But sadly the woke racist bigots think racial minorities are too inept to spell DMV much less find it on a map, cuz they don't know how to use a computer and navigate the internet.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:52 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
That video is great.

This is just degrading at 1:04.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Are you saying I can go to a gun store and buy a gun without an ID? Did our Founding fathers require an ID to buy a gun?

How come you have to provide an ID to buy a gun, but no ID to vote?

I am here all day.
Depends on the state, but you can buy a gun privately and probably at a gun show WITHOUT AN ID. Or at least nobody is that interested whether its a real id. And further YOU DONT HAVE TO REGISTER YOUR GUN. You do have to register to vote.

Hey here is the chance to unify the country. Agree to permanent gun registration in exchange for voter registration. You are afraid somebody will vote for a non-Republican. And I am afraid some crazy will shoot up school, a movie theater, or a store. Win-win!

Old 03-26-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Since we all need a photo ID to drive a car, open bank account, cash checks, fly a commercial airplane, visit Joe at the White House, apply for welfare, etc... wouldn't making sure every American has a proper photo ID be an imperative, even if we have to help them by subsidizing the process???

So why is Joe "you know the thing" O'Biden not pushing for legislation to make sure every racial minority in the US has a proper photo ID? Nope, instead, Joe seems happy if minority persons in the US vote, but doesn't care that they cannot drive a car, open a bank account, cash checks, fly a commercial airplane, visit Joe at the White House, apply for welfare, etc...
But the Constitution doesnt guarantee you right to drive a car, open a bank account, cash checks, fly a commercial airplane, visit Joe at the White House, apply for welfare, etc. IT DOES GUARANTEE EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN THE RIGHT TO VOTE, WITH NO MENTION OF NEEDING A PHOTO ID!

Hey here is the chance to unite the country. I will agree to need to register to vote if you agree for the need to register ownership of your guns! Pass a constitutional amendment stating such. Easy peasy.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Article I, Section 4, Clause 1:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chuting Senators.

From Smiley v Holme (1932)

Voter ID was specifically addressed in Crawford v. Marion County Election Board (2008).

In other words, the constitution gives states the right to require an ID to vote.
So time, place, and manner of how to vote, not that its required to have a photo id to vote. Meaning you want paper ballot, electronic ballot, send different color smoke up your chimney, put certain color marble in a jar. Yep no argument, state can decide that. Even decide on a 100% mail in ballot or an internet voting scheme. Same they can decide to hole elections at midnight on 4th of July far as I can tell and on roof of the state capital should they desire. But doesnt say voter has to have his picture on piece plastic to vote. I think you will find state laws requiring voters to guess the number of marbles in a jar in order to vote or recite the state constitution backwards were outlawed.

I would say perhaps somebody should challenge constitutionality of voter id UNLESS the state is willing to pay all costs to get each and every citizen an acceptable voter id required by the state, including the personal assistance in tracking down birth certificates, etc. Making a voter pay a dime to meet arbitrary requirements costing money is a poll tax. Which I am sure you noticed is illegal. Same way requiring a citizen to take off from work to vote and LOSE WAGES is also a poll tax. A national election day holiday would take care of that. Course that would let those pesky poor people vote without penalty. And thats the whole idea of the restrictions, to make it difficult for anybody but wealthy white people to vote.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:50 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So time, place, and manner of how to vote, not that its required to have a photo id to vote. Meaning you want paper ballot, electronic ballot, send different color smoke up your chimney, put certain color marble in a jar. Yep no argument, state can decide that. Even decide on a 100% mail in ballot or an internet voting scheme. Same they can decide to hole elections at midnight on 4th of July far as I can tell and on roof of the state capital should they desire. But doesnt say voter has to have his picture on piece plastic to vote. I think you will find state laws requiring voters to guess the number of marbles in a jar in order to vote or recite the state constitution backwards were outlawed.

I would say perhaps somebody should challenge constitutionality of voter id UNLESS the state is willing to pay all costs to get each and every citizen an acceptable voter id required by the state, including the personal assistance in tracking down birth certificates, etc. Making a voter pay a dime to meet arbitrary requirements costing money is a poll tax. Which I am sure you noticed is illegal. Same way requiring a citizen to take off from work to vote and LOSE WAGES is also a poll tax. A national election day holiday would take care of that. Course that would let those pesky poor people vote without penalty. And thats the whole idea of the restrictions, to make it difficult for anybody but wealthy white people to vote.
Voter turn out is poor enough, with out it getting help.

You know people use to remember history, not just that of our own, but of other countries, as well. We use to try and safeguard our freedoms --- Not anymore. Those pesky freedoms just keep getting in the way of control. I'm just wondering how much control people will continue to give up, before they decide they want to do a take back. If that day ever happens, Americans would be on their own, as there isn't a country in this world, that will help out with that. Nope, but they will watch with interest.

Illegals won't gather in large crowds at voting polls, they fear being found and deportation --- good post; couldn't rep you again.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:51 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Depends on the state, but you can buy a gun privately and probably at a gun show WITHOUT AN ID. Or at least nobody is that interested whether its a real id. And further YOU DONT HAVE TO REGISTER YOUR GUN. You do have to register to vote.

Hey here is the chance to unify the country. Agree to permanent gun registration in exchange for voter registration. You are afraid somebody will vote for a non-Republican. And I am afraid some crazy will shoot up school, a movie theater, or a store. Win-win!
What is the difference between buying a gun from a private saler inside a gun show to buying a gun from a private saler OUTSIDE of the gun show? There is none

The fact of the matter is you still need ID to buy a gun from a dealer. Did our Founding Father required Americans to have ID to buy a gun? Yet, you don’t think we need ID to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies