Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:32 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,845,260 times

Advertisements

It would seem that groups of people in racial demographics that don't have many children out of wedlock are better off financially. If blacks and Hispanics stopped having children out of wedlock at such high rates would that lead to better living conditions for these groups of people (generally speaking) and help to decrease the amount of poverty found in these racial groups? Or is this is a case of correlation does not equal causation?

Chart of the day: Median household income and share of births to unwed mothers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:41 AM

Other consequences it would seem on having children out of wedlock. What is being done to stymie this trend?

Old 03-27-2021, 09:11 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,066,640 times
The worst thing that can happen in a person’s life is to be born to a single mother.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:15 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,744,640 times
Yes, having babies is expensive and poor people shouldn't have them. I also think there is a stereotype that single childless people are rolling in dough.

Poverty can strike anyone for a myriad of reasons.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:28 AM

13,268 posts, read 8,376,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The worst thing that can happen in a person’s life is to be born to a single mother.
Expand upon this opinion. Curious how you accessed that view?

Old 03-27-2021, 09:32 AM

26,709 posts, read 22,353,981 times
Let me throw in an explosive thought out there, that might look like a hand grenade to some, and a long-suspected fact to the other.

Women are not "equal" and not the same across the line.

Black woman represent the ultimate "matriarchy."
On average they are far more masculine than the majority of the White women in America.

That is they exhibit the features that are traditionally considered "masculine" - being independent, strong-headed, "in your face," and "in charge."

It's only natural that this type of women don't think twice whether they can be single mothers or not, whether they have what it takes to raise the child on their own, boys or girls. ( Other than material part of it; this is something they don't take in consideration much. I think a lot of them think that American society owes them anyway, because of slavery and all.)

With other words, they are "emancipated" by default.

And since women are not "equal," the outcome of their actions/decisions would be different too.

It's only natural.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Expand upon this opinion. Curious how you accessed that view?
See the first two posts in this thread.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Let me throw in an explosive thought out there, that might look like a hand grenade to some, and a long-suspected fact to the other.

Women are not "equal" and not the same across the line.

Black woman represent the ultimate "matriarchy."
On average they are far more masculine than the majority of the White women in America.

That is they exhibit the features that are traditionally considered "masculine" - being independent, strong-headed, "in your face," and "in charge."

It's only natural that this type of women don't think twice whether they can be single mothers or not, whether they have what it takes to raise the child on their own, boys or girls. ( Other than material part of it; this is something they don't take in consideration much. I think a lot of them think that American society owes them anyway, because of slavery and all.)

With other words, they are "emancipated" by default.

And since women are not "equal," the outcome of their actions/decisions would be different too.

It's only natural.
Interesting thoughts. Would it be better for black community (generally speaking) if women were encouraged to be more feminine? How would we go about doing that? There is a popular meme that I think of when I read your post that has a black woman saying "I'm a strong independent black woman and I don't need no man!". It seems society would be better off if that attitude didn't exist.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM

13,268 posts, read 8,376,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
See the first two posts in this thread.
I read them. I was directly engaging the one poster to expand on their opinion. I believe in hearing a person out before assuming....

Old 03-27-2021, 09:52 AM

4,305 posts, read 1,640,043 times
Correlation does not equal causation.

Are minority groups poor because they have more kids out of wedlock?
Do minority groups have more kids out of wedlock because they are poor?
Do minority groups and whites who have children out of wedlock end up in the same SES?
Do minority groups and whites who have NO kids out of wedlock end up in the same SES?
How do children of divorce fare in this situation?
Where do single or married, childless, adults fit in here? How are they skewing the results, if at all?
How different are the statistics between unwed mothers who remain with the fathers, and married couples?
Unwed mothers does not necessarily mean no fathers are in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies