Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:04 AM

962 posts, read 541,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Yep. Nobody in their right mind is going to want to be a police officer. Those that are already on the job and can't leave will become reactionary only - pro-active policing will be a thing of the past and officers will become nothing more than after-the-fact report writers. This is nuts.
If people are deterred from being police officers since they can be held accountable for acting improperly, I say that that is a very good outcome. Whatever it takes to keep good cops and ensure bad cops don't get to simply skip town and continue to be a bad cop in the next county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 AM

24,499 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
This is not going to end well for the general public.

I agree. 99% of cops are good cops and something like this will affect them all leading some to put their hands up in frustration and leaving the career.

I think we can all foresee bogus lawsuits being filed by idiots that are offended by the littlest things and tying the good cops up in court when they should be out patrolling the streets.

Of course bad cops should be held accountable and their behavior should not be tolerated but we have a society that is filled with Ken's and Karen's that scream foul at the drop of a hat.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:15 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree. 99% of cops are good cops and something like this will affect them all leading some to put their hands up in frustration and leaving the career.

I think we can all foresee bogus lawsuits being filed by idiots that are offended by the littlest things and tying the good cops up in court when they should be out patrolling the streets.

Of course bad cops should be held accountable and their behavior should not be tolerated but we have a society that is filled with Ken's and Karen's that scream foul at the drop of a hat.

The court issue is a nonissue IMO !!!

Bogus lawsuits, called frivolous generally, are dismissed now !!!

There has to be a damaged party and if there isn't, its frivolous !!!

Old 03-29-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
How should power be used as intended? Please describe what that would look like in your utopian vision.
You talk about power when the talk should be about respect !!! I see no indication you would understand the vision no matter what it was !!!

Old 03-29-2021, 03:25 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You talk about power when the talk should be about respect !!! I see no indication you would understand the vision no matter what it was !!!
You're the one who mentioned power and now you say power shouldn't be talked about.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You don't understand how qualified immunity works. Citing a couple of cases where it was applied inappropriately is not indicative of a systemic problem. You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
In the words of Slick Willy "I did not have sex with that woman" !!! Its not my baby !!!

I understand how it isn't working and that seems to be something you don't understand or maybe you do butt as long as you aren't the one being abuse its fine !!! Setting for a proper 30 min. session of abuse before going to the hosp. might change your mind !!!

Old 03-29-2021, 03:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
If people are deterred from being police officers since they can be held accountable for acting improperly, I say that that is a very good outcome. Whatever it takes to keep good cops and ensure bad cops don't get to simply skip town and continue to be a bad cop in the next county.

It isn't that simple.

At the turn of the century, Senator Cantwell of Washington State ended "qualified immunity" for Federal wildland firefighters. Unfortunately, Senator Cantwell chose four well respected Federal employees in the fire community to make a prime example. BTW....the nearest of the four was 30 miles from the incident.

For most Federal wildland firefighters firefighting is a "secondary" job and they don't have to do it!!!

So this is what happened.

First, people refused to sign up for firefighting. Putting their families financial future on the line for lawsuits that THEY would have to personally defend was not in the cards. Those four were well-respected members of the fire community....if they can go after them....what chance do I have??

Last year, the Governor of Oregon complained about the lack of Federal firefighters. Well, guess what, the local and state governments offer qualified immunity to their firefighters. Those folks are still working fires. It is the Feds that left in most cases.

Second, nobody wants to make a mistake for which they can be held personally liable.

So the wild land fire acreage burned on Federal fires skyrocketed. Not that this was all bad, but thousands of homes and millions of acres were now burned because nobody wanted to accept the personal liability for a decision that is the best of circumstances is almost always made on little information due to fast moving fires.

The outcome your going to get is many fewer police officers. People taking the law into their own hands to protect themselves and their families due to the lack of strong law enforcement response.

And that scenario does not end well for everybody concerned, and quite frankly the police officers by standing back and waiting will NOT be faulted for their response.

It is becoming the new normal.

It will be the same with cops. I can't see anybody taking a job as a cop these days. Worst yet, I cannot imagine working as a cop, with nobody covering my back....and my family. Remember them?? They end up paying the cost of a split second decision.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:55 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
You don't understand how qualified immunity works. Citing a couple of cases where it was applied inappropriately is not indicative of a systemic problem. You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Yes there are only a few bad cops but the problem is many others know they don't belong on the force yet turn their heads or cover for those that have no business being a policeman. This isn't just about bad officers like Chauvin, it's about those that allow them to continue.

The systematic part is leadership ignoring the problem and protecting the few. Plenty of case in NY if you you want me to quote them. These people don't belong on the force period and hopefully raise some questions why leadership allows them to remain, aside from the direct result of their actions they have cost tax payers millions.

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-29-2021 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 07:59 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It isn't that simple.

At the turn of the century, Senator Cantwell of Washington State ended "qualified immunity" for Federal wildland firefighters. Unfortunately, Senator Cantwell chose four well respected Federal employees in the fire community to make a prime example. BTW....the nearest of the four was 30 miles from the incident.

For most Federal wildland firefighters firefighting is a "secondary" job and they don't have to do it!!!

So this is what happened.

First, people refused to sign up for firefighting. Putting their families financial future on the line for lawsuits that THEY would have to personally defend was not in the cards. Those four were well-respected members of the fire community....if they can go after them....what chance do I have??

Last year, the Governor of Oregon complained about the lack of Federal firefighters. Well, guess what, the local and state governments offer qualified immunity to their firefighters. Those folks are still working fires. It is the Feds that left in most cases.

Second, nobody wants to make a mistake for which they can be held personally liable.

So the wild land fire acreage burned on Federal fires skyrocketed. Not that this was all bad, but thousands of homes and millions of acres were now burned because nobody wanted to accept the personal liability for a decision that is the best of circumstances is almost always made on little information due to fast moving fires.

The outcome your going to get is many fewer police officers. People taking the law into their own hands to protect themselves and their families due to the lack of strong law enforcement response.

And that scenario does not end well for everybody concerned, and quite frankly the police officers by standing back and waiting will NOT be faulted for their response.

It is becoming the new normal.

It will be the same with cops. I can't see anybody taking a job as a cop these days. Worst yet, I cannot imagine working as a cop, with nobody covering my back....and my family. Remember them?? They end up paying the cost of a split second decision.
Police officers on Long Island run close to $200,000, NYC somewhat less but still a good job, they aren't going anywhere. Nassau and Suffolk counties have waiting lists of hundreds to get on the force, it takes years.

That may be true in some states but certainly not the greater metropolitan area of NY.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:42 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Good luck with recruitment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies