Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 12:40 PM

47,038 posts, read 26,131,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Atheism means you can do anything you want, never have to give anything up, and never be inconvenienced.
If the only thing that keeps you from "doing anything you want" is the fear of some supernatural father figure doling out punishment, that's a bit of a condemnation of your internal ethics, isn't it?

It's not as if there isn't a point to the argument, mind. I do rape, steal and murder as much as I want - that is, not at all. It appears I can check baser impulses without the threat of supernatural consequences.

Old 04-03-2021, 12:47 PM

47,038 posts, read 26,131,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
So the people writing about Syria, Damascus, etc --- giving oral account of its history, was just making all that stuff up?
You need to sort the wheat from the chaff. The Odyssey is a rip-roaring tale of people greater than life, set in an actual setting. As is a whole lot of the Old Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian_Summer View Post
Church membership declines

Get woke, go broke.
Many churches have adopted leftist/marxist type values over the past few decades.
Yeah! Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked - what does that have to do with Christianity?

Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,443,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You need to sort the wheat from the chaff. The Odyssey is a rip-roaring tale of people greater than life, set in an actual setting. As is a whole lot of the Old Testament.
The Nephilim is kind of where the Old Testament and The Odyssey merge for me.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:14 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
So the people writing about Syria, Damascus, etc --- giving oral account of its history, was just making all that stuff up?
Quote:
Joe Rogan sorting it out:

Joe Rogan - Did Moses Take DMT?

Old 04-03-2021, 07:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,092,584 times
I really wish the left could take credit for this, but that isn't the case. People are becoming less religious because religious belief if silly and contrary to everything we know about reality.

It is more likely that people are becoming less religious because it makes more sense.

Whatever the reason, it is certainly great news.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,904,466 times
<70% of Sweden is nonreligious, and <60% of Japan is. They have low crime rates, civil societies, and are people generally thought of as being pleasant and kind.

The US has been majority religious since its foundation and has huge problems with violence.

The underlying problem is the way that our society addresses it's problems; we were founded by Puritans and much of our way of doing things focuses around punishment for making mistakes. A lot of our society seems to fetishize the idea of punishing those that they view as having done wrong: execute them, let them waste away in the streets, take away their rights...

I think that to a large degree, religion is being supplanted by a pragmatic humanism among younger people. I don't view it as amoral.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:03 PM

1,943 posts, read 567,271 times
Happy Easter!

Old 04-03-2021, 10:41 PM

3,634 posts, read 3,438,649 times
As I stated and implied before, one does not need to be a member of a church to have faith. I have not set foot in a church in over twenty years. But I have faith, regardless of church.

Again, happy Easter, everyone!

Old 04-04-2021, 06:07 AM

51,685 posts, read 25,947,539 times
Quote:
If the only thing that keeps you from "doing anything you want" is the fear of some supernatural father figure doling out punishment, that's a bit of a condemnation of your internal ethics, isn't it?

It's not as if there isn't a point to the argument, mind. I do rape, steal and murder as much as I want - that is, not at all. It appears I can check baser impulses without the threat of supernatural consequences.
Some people realize that without a set of rules and a supernatural overseer they would be raping, stealing, murdering, treating others terribly.

If churches keep them from doing so, fine by me.

But to be fair, religion is often used as a an excuses for committing crimes against others.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-04-2021 at 06:28 AM..

Old 04-04-2021, 06:26 AM

19,309 posts, read 17,193,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I really wish the left could take credit for this, but that isn't the case. People are becoming less religious because religious belief if silly and contrary to everything we know about reality.

It is more likely that people are becoming less religious because it makes more sense.

Whatever the reason, it is certainly great news.
Why does anyone have to take credit for it? People have free will and make their own choices, no one is claiming faith has diminished only religion. Like any business I guess they don't like seeing their bottom line go down, before you know it Olstein will be forced to drive a domestic car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies