Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 01:49 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Beware: Non believers are judged immediately upon death, and find themselves in a state of separation from God and condemnation/punishment from which there will be no escape, either temporally or at the close of the age in eternity....

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx
Beware: you can try to force 21st century reality into a Bronze Age mold of thought if you want, but it will be a futile effort. The light of reason burns as a bright flame unencumbered by such efforts during the Information Age.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
LOL. Seeing trump pulling in the so called Christians to support him, and taking them down along with the GOP with his stunning incompetence has been one of my more amusing things about all of this lately.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:03 PM

552 posts, read 223,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Beware: Non believers are judged immediately upon death, and find themselves in a state of separation from God and condemnation/punishment from which there will be no escape, either temporally or at the close of the age in eternity....

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx

Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka Kansas "Likes" this.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:13 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And we are still pay those taxes to the government --- thousands upon thousands of years have past and people still don't know better. Oh wait, you thought --- oh funny. PS: the church was the government. (and Christ was the first rebel)

Mark 12:17 Then Jesus told them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." And they marveled at Him. (biblehub.com)

Old 03-30-2021, 02:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Well, when supposed Christians bow to someone like Trump as their savior, no wonder people get turned off.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:21 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If you were honestly trying to create a world to "test" people, the ever-presence of god would invalidate the test. It would be like your girlfriend testing to see if you'll cheat on her, while never leaving your sight. A true test must necessarily create doubt, and provide an opportunity to make the wrong decision.
That reduces humans to lab mice in some random deity's maze. A deity like that doesn't deserve obedience, yet alone worship. What an utterly depressing thought.

Quote:
All of those countries that tried to abolish religion are now promoting it.
Lots of very successful countries are populated with mostly non-religious people. Scandinavia and Northern Europe are chock full of heathens, and anyone trying to pass laws with some sort of religious underpinning will be laughed out of town.

Quote:
When you destroy religion, you destroy society.
Tosh. Why shoudn't we be able to run a society without resorting to supernatural authorities?

Quote:
The reason religion exists is because it was evolutionarily-successful.
Our evolutionary development fine-tuned us for a survival on the savannah. There are tons of millennia-old traditions that got thrown on history's dustpile when they were no longer useful. Patriarchy. Slavery. Tribalism.

If you read history, you'll notice how successful religions always manage to tune their reasoning according to where power can be found. The God-King became the monarch appointed by God (if God hadn't wanted the king to rule over you, he'd not have made him king, peasant) and when we gave up on the Divine Right of Kings, Christianity decided to come 100% on board with the idea that men, created as equals by God, should have a say in electing their rulers. (Except for those disqualified by skin color, or insanity, or being women, or being poor. God has standards.)

Quote:
Moreover, in the absence of religion, people look for some other meaning and purpose to fill the vacuum.
I hear that often - that all humans have some God-shaped hole that must be filled. I see no empirical evidence to support it, though.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 03-30-2021 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 02:23 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That reduces humans to lab mice in some random deity's maze. A deity like that doesn't deserve obedience, yet alone worship. What an utterly depressing thought.

Lots of very successful countries are populated with mostly non-religious people. Scandinavia and Northern Europe are chock full of heathens, and anyone trying to pass laws with some sort of religious underpinning will be laughed out of town.

Tosh.

Our evolutionary development fine-tuned us for a survival on the savannah. There are tons of millennia-old traditions that got thrown on history's dustpile when they were no longer useful. Patriarchy. Slavery. Tribalism.

I hear that often - that we have some God-shaped hole that must be filled. I see no empirical evidence to support it, though.
^Good points here.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:27 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Meh........ Left?Right?
I'm a Republican who would never vote for a Democrat. I swore off organized religion long ago. Christianity is irrelevant these days.

Sorry if it leaves the "But you worship Trump!" crowd swinging. But you never did make sense.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:17 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
The Left Has Corrupted America’s Soul; U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

The Op's cited article on Gallup questioning does reveal:

* In 2020, 47% of U.S. adults belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque
*Down more than 20 points from turn of the century
*Change primarily due to rise in Americans with no religious preference

What it does not do is claim a political party or people with a progressive political position are to blame for the decline in membership in formal houses of worship. The OP would have us believe---just because he says so in yet another one of his prolific thread starters--- that this decline, in dues paying membership to a congregation of those with like minded religious philosophy, has corrupted the soul of our country and it is the plot of The Left.

In the words of Daniel Patrick Moynihan: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-30-2021 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: punctuation correction

Old 03-30-2021, 03:55 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I'm going to repeat something I heard or read --- that Constantine (speaks to the printing of the Bible) thought people could be ruled over easier if they had something to believe in.
It's probably my english that is lacking but I don't understand what you mean by he printing of the bible ? Is it literal as in actual printing in the modern sense or manual transcription or does printing in that context has a meaning I don't know ?

Only asking for clarification, since Gutenberg only invented printing in the mid-15th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies