Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Who knows why people are not in church?

Actually, a church does not need one thousand members, they rather would need 50 good ones in the pews who are doing good and being for realz.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
There are a lot of great reasons not to murder, rob and rape my neighbors and religion isn’t one of them for me.
I don't think Jesus ever talks about murder, robbery, or rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Science does tell us what happens after death, in great detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
After death our biological remains are recycled back into the universe. No reason to fret, it is our notch in existence.
What is consciousness? I don't mean intelligence, or the capacity for decision-making. I'm talking about consciousness. You. Who are you? Is consciousness even real? Or necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
We have the present day 'sovereign' citizens running around and there goes the neighborhood.
Sovereign citizens remind me of my niece. Her favorite saying is, "I do what I want".

"I always had an aversion to your apostles of freedom; each but sought for himself freedom to do what he liked." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Why does anyone assume that anything happens after death? Its only because they don't want to deal with their own mortality, and that their conscious being ends with their death. But that's the fact, and everyone is better of dealing with the truth than buying into some fantasy.

Good and evil are human constructs, developed so that human behavior could be controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Science can't explain the most important questions in life like what happens after death and why evil exists. And atheist countries never last.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
... U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

I am fairly religious myself. I do a regular examination of conscience, as I was taught decades ago. I don't know anyone else my age who does that.

Church leadership has failed, especially those so-called 'evangelical' types and the TV preachers. They are like whitewashed tombs and false prophets.

But the drop in religious affiliation is not unexpected. Europe has a far lower church attendance than the USA, it seems to be the trend in the modern world.

Let's remember: we can make people go to church ... when they are minors under our control ... but we can not make them believers. The best we can do is set a good example, but honestly we have generally failed at that.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Neither can religion. Religion has theories about what happens after death, but no one has ever provided real, documented, reproducible proof.
True.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:00 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's natural for a civilization to become more enlightened as science explains the world, leaving the belief in magic/myths behind.
Not a chance, America has a LONG way to go to be actually progressive and a secular country.

America is still one of the most religious developed countries on the planet.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:26 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Why does anyone assume that anything happens after death? Its only because they don't want to deal with their own mortality, and that their conscious being ends with their death. But that's the fact, and everyone is better of dealing with the truth than buying into some fantasy.

Good and evil are human constructs, developed so that human behavior could be controlled.
If good and evil are human constructs, why do we put people who murder other people in prison? If evil is a human construct, why have prisons at all? If evil is a human construct then who decides what is a crime and what is not a crime? What standard do we guide our lives and our society by?

Old 03-31-2021, 10:37 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If you're right then I have nothing to loose; if your wrong
Lol, people still run with pascals wager....

Old 03-31-2021, 10:41 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Donald Trump standing outside that church holding a bible upside down tanked church memberships.
That's a major reason Trump's supporters love him so much. He likes to do things unconventionally.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's a major reason Trump's supporters love him so much. He likes to do things unconventionally.
I think they just like to be lied to.

That's not as strange as it sounds, people don't like uncertainties. They want their own worldview reinforced, they want all those 'bad' outcomes to simply go away. A lie strongly asserted is a welcome thing to a lot of people. It doesn't change anything, but it makes people feel better.

Every new husband knows this. "Do I look fat?" ... there is only one answer.

There must be a term for that ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies