Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:40 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,834,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I'll become more enlightened when someone builds an ark according to specifications given in Genesis 6, fills it with animals and enough potable water to last a year, and takes a year long voyage around the world in it.

Some guy actually did that, he built an ark anyway. He parked it in Kentucky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-29-2021, 10:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,911,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Beware: Non believers are judged immediately upon death, and find themselves in a state of separation from God and condemnation/punishment from which there will be no escape, either temporally or at the close of the age in eternity....
How can you not read your own words that you wrote and not understand why people no longer believe in that stuff? It sounds like the ramblings of a mad man. People have no reason to turn to mythologies any more.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:45 PM

379 posts, read 155,048 times
I wonder how much the internet impacts this...nowadays one can hear many preachers preaching any day of the week at ANY time...live or recorded. They can also jump in the comment sections or on forums to “fellowship” as much as they desire.

For example, in just the past week I’ve stumbled upon and listened to sermons by 2 different pastors...one who isn’t even alive. I’ve also seen a lot of religious posts/verses/quotes by people I know on social media. Being “at church” can happen any time nowadays via technology....not just on Sunday where you have to show up looking presentable with a sociable attitude.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:55 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,834,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
religion is a man made construct that you don't need in order to know how to live a just and moral life. so let me guess this straight, over 3 billion people on the planet are instantly going to hell because they don't believe in christianity and/or because their cultures have very little religion? yeah, doesn't sound racist/ethnocentric/stupid at all....lol.

the only reason religion/god/spirituality exists is because humans are terrified of death. people cannot wrap their brains around the fact that their existence terminates upon death. there's nothing after.

A lot of people do, fear death I mean. I've never understood that. It's inevitable. Death comes for all of us at some point. It's nothing to fear. Not from my perspective anyway.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:24 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,314,338 times
Quote:
Beware: Non believers are judged immediately upon death, and find themselves in a state of separation from God and condemnation/punishment from which there will be no escape, either temporally or at the close of the age in eternity....

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx
God has yet to speak for himself. Man is corrupt and so is the church.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,637,317 times
Quote:

Membership and attendance has been declining for two decades due to a sharp increase of people with no religious affiliation. The unaffiliated may or may not be non- believers.

Perhaps absolute statements like your opening remark turnsome people away from organized religion.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:32 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,671,462 times
Our intrepid OP has not returned. Perhaps he was being facetious...otherwise the last few molecules of respect that I might have had for his forum posts (stuck on my shoe?) evaporated away. Church membership has little to do with faith. I know a lot of people who fit that model. People in this country have been disconnecting from every sort of organized and regimented affiliation from church denominations and political parties to social and civic clubs. Voting with their absence or perhaps lack of attendance or membership is often a form of intentional rejection or rebellion.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:35 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,286,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Well, I must say, most of the responses on this thread are not in the least bit surprising. Seems like lots of non-religious people aren't content to just leave us believers alone; no, they need to openly mock and denigrate our faith. This is nothing new, of course, but it's still kind of annoying.

As to why it's a bad thing that church membership is falling, the reason should be clear to anyone who knows history. This country was founded on Christian principles. A vibrant, abiding faith in God has been one of this country's greatest strengths.
The people of America didn't let their churches down.

The churches of America let their people down.

If the omnipresent financial corruption, and the sexual and social abuse from the clergy was to stop, there would be a great return to all churches.

It wouldn't happen overnight. It would take years, likely a decade or more, before the numbers were to return to what they once were. The hypocrisy, the abuses, and the corruption have gone on for far, far too long for their deep wounds to heal quickly. Many of the wounds won't ever heal, either.

Non-religious people have nothing to do with this. You're just passing the blame from where it belongs on to them. If faith was pure, the non-religious couldn't mock it, nor denigrate it, and wouldn't want to.

Being so blindly self-defensive is not ever going to win those who fell away from your faith back to it. Perpetuating the hypocrisy will only keep the desertion going. As those like you who remain steadfast leave, every vacancy will add to the load of the fewer who remain.

The longer it goes on, the riper it becomes for a new religion to seed, sprout, and grow. The hypocrisy is making fertile ground for those who hunger for a faith that is more pure. One that isn't stained with abuse.

Old 03-30-2021, 02:10 AM

33,512 posts, read 37,073,486 times
Quote:

This is the first time I've ever seen you post good news....Refreshing..

Old 03-30-2021, 04:11 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,762,128 times
Quote:

This is the first time I've ever seen you post good news....Refreshing..
Its refreshing that you finally admitted who you really are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.