Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 01:26 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Tough spot to be in. Do you get involved and risk physical harm or death to yourself. What if you kill accidentally kill the perp? You then become a perp. Call the cops and walk away seems to have been the best option for him, which apparently he didn't call the cops. There are a variety of reasons why he didn't. None of that really matters. What matters is if the building wants to safeguard people they should hire a full-time security force that is armed for these types of situations. Firing this guy does nothing but set the building management company up for a big lawsuit that they will lose for termination without cause.
I don't think it is about going out and fist fighting the assailant. I think it is about going out and giving aid to the woman once the assailant has left rather than just looking at her on the sidewalk, in distress, and then literally closing the door to the woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This makes my blood boil. Should all be immediately fired and sued by the woman who they didn't help
I hear you, but THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY LEGAL AUTHORITY OR LEGAL PROTECTION TO INTERVENE. Himain, in NYC, if they should have intervene there is three things that could have happened to them. A) Be fired since their job is to observe and report or B) If the criminal is badly hurt or killed, be arrested for assault or manslaughter or C) be sued by the criminal in civil court... For whatever they can make up.

I was a LEO that worked in NYC and the laws in NYC and in NY favor the criminal.

If they didn’t call the police or render first aid to the victims AFTER the criminal left, I’d have some issue with that... But for them not intervening, physically, I can’t blame them... I blame the politics and voters in NYC and in NY, since they created this monster.

Even armed security has to operate within these rules, since if the crime happens off the property they are responsible for, they will find themselves in a possible tricky area of the law.

If the city or State would pass a law that would legally PROTECT citizen and security guard... Which are nothing more than citizens working as security, people would most likely get involved in these type of situations.

For people who are blaming security for not acting like the police, they need to know the laws that these people have to work within.

Personally, people need to see that security isn’t the police AND not paid enough to take on the legal responsibilities of police... Unarmed security makes minimum wage, what do you expect from them??

You couldn’t pay me to possibly go to jail for a minimum wage job. As for armed security guards, they make about 40% to 50% more than unarmed guards. And before somebody jumps in and says they I “know” this guy who makes $100ks a year for working in security, that’s true, but these people are most likely retired cops and former military special forces members, that are armed and only responsible for said property ONLY.

Btw, the victim CANNOT sue them or the property owners since AGAIN, these people had ZERO AUTHORITY or RESPONSIBILITY to intervene.

The optics suck, but it’s the reality of the law. People in NYC just cut the police budget, which means less police protection...

Old 04-06-2021, 03:09 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Apparently they didn't follow the building's emergency protocols including trying to wave down or call police which was noted in other articles.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ttack-76903206
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies