Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 09:30 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times

Advertisements

The media and those against all things Trump put out a narrative of what happened at the Capitol and how the country barely survived.

Now they have to prove the narrative in court, and the evidence is not there to back up the seriousness of the charges.

Prosecutors struggle with consistent story in Jan. 6 cases

There’s little doubt the Oath Keepers were planning for something on Jan. 6. The question at the heart of the criminal case against its members and associates in the attack on the U.S. Capitol is: What, exactly, did they intend to do?

Authorities suggested for weeks in court hearings and papers that members of the far-right militia group plotted their attack in advance in an effort to block the peaceful transition of power. But prosecutors have since said it is not clear whether the group was targeting the Capitol before Jan. 6.

More than 300 people are facing federal charges and more are expected. The most serious charges have been brought against 10 people described as members and associates of the Oath Keepers and several members of another far-right extremist group, the Proud Boys.

But as the sprawling investigation has unfolded, prosecutors have sometimes struggled to maintain a consistent narrative and had to walk back statements made in court hearings or in papers. It has created an opening for defense attorneys to try to sow doubt in the case.

“The government presented a theory (without evidence) that there was a weeks long plan to invade the Capitol,” an attorney for one of the Oath Keepers, Jessica Watkins, wrote in a recent court filing. “There was no such plan.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 09:31 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
It was a riot not an insurrection.

You dont lead an insurrection with a guy that looks like the grand poobah from the flintstones.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,440,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

You dont lead an insurrection with a guy that looks like the grand poobah from the flintstones.
The thread can end between your and the OP's post. The silly court cases can end as well. You both are absolutely right.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:42 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

I didn't say it was an insurrection, but others have said that. I said it was fake.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:46 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,550,068 times
These individuals were all traitors to America. They illegally entered the Capitol grounds with many also physically attacking law enforcement. They all deserve to be prosecuted and punished.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:55 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I didn't say it was an insurrection, but others have said that. I said it was fake.
I am about 75% agreeing with you in my post. Yeah I know. Scary.

It WAS a riot and likely some form of trespassing. Perhaps simple assault on the part of those breaking down the door since simple assault can mean the fear of harm in some jurisdictions. I have NO problem with charges along these lines as appropriate.

The line that it was in insurrection is a lie pushed by left of center media to push the narrative that the right wing did nearly as much damage as the left wing did in the past year.

I have ZERO problem with appropriate charges levied against the people in the Jan 6 riot. I just want the same effort to track down the rioters from last summer.

Laser in cops eyes.
Damage over X is a felony. Depends on location
Arson
Looting

etc

Old 03-30-2021, 10:00 AM

7,896 posts, read 3,447,226 times
Doesn't matter what the courts say because the insurrection talking point is part of the mainstream narrative. People on the right will be fending off the insurrection label in perpetuity. You still see Russian collusion brought up now and again and that was debunked six ways to Sunday.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:09 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
These individuals were all traitors to America. They illegally entered the Capitol grounds with many also physically attacking law enforcement. They all deserve to be prosecuted and punished.

One man's traitor is another man's patriot.

And one man's post is another man's hyperbole.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:43 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post

On another day progressives will tell us that the United States is an illegitimate entity, founded on racism, slavery and genocide. This is what they think of the country, yet will speak of "treason" and "insurrection."

It's like I've explained to you all, progressives and 'crats don't argue in good faith. They move the goalposts, change the definitions of terms, obfuscate and deflect. Progressives have one goal, the acquisition of power, and will make any argument to obtain it.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:48 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
One man's traitor is another man's patriot.

And one man's post is another man's hyperbole.
Right? Susan Rosenberg was involved in a bombing of the Capitol in 1983. She had her sentence commuted by Bill Clinton, and is now a fundraiser for BLM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies