Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard
Quote:
My definition of "reasonable" is what is generally accepted to be the norm in a industrial, developed first world country such as the US and Canada. By any stretch of the imagination, 18 children is not acceptable for a western style country. Eighteen children may be OK for a tribe in the Amazon rain forest where the child mortality rate is 40 or 50%, but not in a first world country.

Quote:
Steve Hazzard
You are now engaging in circular logic for the sake of argument.
Quote:
laysayfair
No, he's not. I think he's trying to make you be specific so we can understand if your criteria has any objectivity to it at all or if it's just as subjective as it seems to be.
OK, I'm exceeding my daily quota of mouse clicks! Here's a flash for you, my criteria is a mix of objectivity and subjectivity, the ratio of which is determined by me at the time of my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
What is day care have to do with it?? If you have 18 kids standing in line for 10 days to get your individual attention, then it's wrong.
You said kids need to be raised by their moms...? I thought you meant that. I wondered if that woman was raising her kids any less then mothers who left their children in daycare all day. But if you don't see it don't bother to answer. It was just a thought. if anyone else out there understands my point I'd be interested in where the line is between this woman and working mothers...

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-15-2008 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times
Quote:

You are now engaging in circular logic for the sake of argument.

Greatday
Quote:
Incorrect.

Who decides how many children a person can have?

YOU were the one who use the term "reasonable" - I'm asking you to define it.

I'm also going to ask you if, in your opinion, there should be a limit, by law, on the number of children someone can have in the United States

The term "reasonable" is a subjective term which is used when there is no definitive quantifying or qualifying statement. Having said that, applying the "reasonable person" standard as defined in legal terms, 18 children is not a "reasonable" quantifying term for children born to one set of parents in an industrial first world country such as the United States!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This is just simply not true, yet I read it over and over again. Just this last week "natural disasters" rid the worlds population of over 100k people. We're not even close to being overpopulated, and anyway, who decides what that arbitrary number is? It's like hazzards "reasonable" number of children. Honestly, as long as we aren't paying for them, which ironically, liberals are usually in favor of, it's none of our business how many kids they have.
Overpopulation is an issue for debate(not one I intend to have here). My post states "in my opinion"because that's what it is, as far as this post goes I would choose the number and I say 18 is too high. It is my business because I live in this world, and I have a right to want a livable earth for myself, my children, my grandchildren and beyond.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
[quote=Steve Hazzard;3778373]children born to one set of parents in an industrial first world country such as the United States! [/quote]

There was a question I posed to you Steve which I see you did not respond to:

In your opinion, should there be a limit, by law, on the number of children someone can have in the United States ?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post

Greatday

The term "reasonable" is a subjective term which is used when there is no definitive quantifying or qualifying statement. Having said that, applying the "reasonable person" standard as defined in legal terms, 18 children is not a "reasonable" quantifying term for children born to one set of parents in an industrial first world country such as the United States!

Well, that was illuminating...

Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
My feelings are if parents can take care of their children and give them love and a stable
home, it is none of my business how many they have. I would much rather know that the children are happy and taken care of, rather the opposite where they are abused and neglected and have a miserable childhood.
I hope the government never steps in and dictates how many children we can have.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post

Greatday

I agree. I wouldn't support laws about it, but I don't need to because most people are reasonable and would never plan to have 18 children.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Overpopulation is an issue for debate(not one I intend to have here). My post states "in my opinion"because that's what it is, as far as this post goes I would choose the number and I say 18 is too high. It is my business because I live in this world, and I have a right to want a livable earth for myself, my children, my grandchildren and beyond.
Uh, no such right exists, but lets say for the sake of argument that it did; how do the Duggars affect these "rights"?

To be honest, your reasoning is quite scary, that you can decide someone else's choices because they simply don't line up with your own. That is fascism in the broadest sense.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Uh, no such right exists, but lets say for the sake of argument that it did; how do the Duggars affect these "rights"?

To be honest, your reasoning is quite scary, that you can decide someone else's choices because they simply don't line up with your own. That is fascism in the broadest sense.
OMG chill! I said in my opinion, that's all it is. Guess what? I have a right to want anything I want. I can't decide anyone's choice, that's paranoia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies