Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:50 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
All that matters is he wont hurt anyone ever again.
Nearly every statement that begins with the words "All that matters is" is false. Have you ever looked into what the effects of an execution are upon the rest of the lives of the innocent families and friends of the person put to death for instance? I hardly suspect so.

And should I take it that despite trying your very, very hardest, killing people is the only, only, only way you can think of to accomplish the end you have in mind? Should I take it as well to be assured that you yourself will not hurt anyone ever again? Again, I have my doubts. I suspect that you simply get a That'll show 'em! sense of macho enjoyment out of the act of killing people. Rather a sociopathic sort of thing, in the minds of many...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nearly every statement that begins with the words "All that matters is" is false. Have you ever looked into what the effects of an execution are upon the rest of the lives of the innocent families and friends of the person put to death for instance? I hardly suspect so.

And should I take it that despite trying your very, very hardest, killing people is the only, only, only way you can think of to accomplish the end you have in mind? Should I take it as well to be assured that you yourself will not hurt anyone ever again? Again, I have my doubts. I suspect that you simply get a That'll show 'em! sense of macho enjoyment out of the act of killing people. Rather a sociopathic sort of thing, in the minds of many...
I am sure the family and friends would be joyous and happy if only the person was in prison for life....

One thing for sure,not ONE of the criminals executed will commit another crime.

And THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,092,680 times
He killed two children, give him his wish and execute him. I don't know why they are in prison for so long, getting repeal after repeal, what a waste of time and money.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Nearly every statement that begins with the words "All that matters is" is false. Have you ever looked into what the effects of an execution are upon the rest of the lives of the innocent families and friends of the person put to death for instance?
As one who has been a witness to an execution (for the victims family), I know the closure the execution brought to the family.

As for your comment "......looked into what the effects of an execution are upon the rest of the lives of the innocent families and friends of the person put to death for instance" - Horse Hockey -

Old 05-10-2008, 08:04 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,620 times
Quote:

I am against the death penalty for religious reasons, but this post came off as very snobby. You are the minority in this country by the way, people could make the case for you being sociopathic as well. I'm against the death penalty because I don't think it solves anything, and I think we should move beyond the days of government sanctioned execution. However, I respect that this man came to terms to the evil he committed, and is willing to pay the price for it. I wouldn't say he is honorable, but I would say that he is doing a good thing for the people he has effected.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As one who has been a witness to an execution (for the victims family), I know the closure the execution brought to the family.
How be they just go get some grief counseling instead. Tens of thousands of families lose loved ones in horrible ways every year. You don't get any special rights out of it.

Quote:
As for your comment "......looked into what the effects of an execution are upon the rest of the lives of the innocent families and friends of the person put to death for instance" - Horse Hockey -
Nice argument. Your compassion as a Man of God knows no bounds, I see...

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
How be they just go get some grief counseling instead. Tens of thousands of families lose loved ones in horrible ways every year. You don't get any special rights out of it..
Oh - they went to counseling as well -

But the bottom line is / was, the person abducted, raped, sodimized then killed their little girl will never be able to do so again -

Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I am against the death penalty for religious reasons, but this post came off as very snobby.
That's too bad. I could reword it, but the message would still be the same. The "At least they'll never hurt anyone again" argument is a non-starter.

Quote:
You are the minority in this country by the way...
So was Martin Luther King Jr. in his day. Now, there's a national holiday in his honor. Let me be the first to insist that "Saganista Day" be always celebrated on a Friday.

Quote:
...people could make the case for you being sociopathic as well.
No, they couldn't.

Quote:
I'm against the death penalty because I don't think it solves anything, and I think we should move beyond the days of government sanctioned execution.
Well, you're right about that much.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Oh - they went to counseling as well -
Apparently not enough. Life sometimes sucks. Despite assurances to the contrary from some, none of us is being specially protected from the worst that life has to offer. It can visit any of us in the span of a few fractions of a second. If we can't learn to accept the human condition as applying to ourselves, then perhaps grief counseling isn't the only kind that some of us would stand to benefit from.

Quote:
But the bottom line is / was, the person abducted, raped, sodimized then killed their little girl will never be able to do so again -
In all of our recorded history, what is the number of little girls that has been abducted, raped, sodomized, and killed by persons who were at the time serving a life sentence without parole?

Your supposed "bottom line" justification isn't even a proper part of the equation...

Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
In all of our recorded history, what is the number of little girls that has been abducted, raped, sodomized, and killed by persons who were at the time serving a life sentence without parole?

Your supposed "bottom line" justification isn't even a proper part of the equation...
In many states, "Life without parole" does not mean "life without parole".

And, I disagree - the "bottom line" statement I made is a proper part of the equation. The scumbag will never be able to repeat his crimes on other children. Thats a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies