Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
We're seeing the right wing become more authoritarian.
Any SHRED or MICRON of evidence to support this malicious gaslighting statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 11:11 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

We're not in a struggle of competing ideas. In that fight, the merits of the ideas and the ability of their proponents to sell those ideas to the opposition determines which ideas are given a chance to succeed. That's how it's supposed to work, and that's the model that conservatives & true liberals are still trying to work with.
What idea has ever come from the Right????? Please enlighten me.

On healthcare? Nothing.

Social security? Nothing.

Education? Nothing.

Inequality? Nothing.

Immigration? Nothing.

They finally came up with the wall idea, controlled all three branches of government and still didn't do much for four years and left the office.

So tell me, how are we supposed to determine the best ideas when the only ideas have been coming from the Left???

I guess this post is the best we can expect from the right-wing: "Oh the Left is coming up with everything??!!! Why are their ideas being adopted when I have presented nothing?!!!"

Old 03-31-2021, 11:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
I'm always stunned that folks on both sides have these huge big theories of how the other guys are commiting all these actions that will doom the country.

Left and right folks hav eosme wild ideas.

I do think the two sides have different ways of doing things. I do think it has become so tribal that we see regularly that if the Republicans are in office and pass a stimulus bill it's a sound economic plan according to conservatives but if the Democrats pass a similar bill when they are in office, it is indicative of how they want to give out everything for free and will doom the country to socialsim.

Yeah that's anecdotal but it is the most current, easily offered up 'anecdote'.

I'm not vehemently opposed to conservative view points. I would love more fiscal conservatism, I do think that there are some sound arguments for some of their policies.

I'm not all in on all the liberal view points. Handing out student loan bailouts, meh, this stimulus bill has be scratching my head with the broad scope it was doled out to.

I think both parties are patriotic, care for this country and have very different views on how we carry that out.

I've lived in the USA for 24 years come August. 12 years of Republican President, 12 years of Democrat President.

Day to day living hasn't changed significantly with any of the administrations.

As for the talking to young people -- depends on where you lvie. I would say in our community -- like the country -- there are conservative young people and liberal young people. They have been exposed to the same school system and have different views.

Ma6ybe if your experience is that everyone thinks the same it speaks to where you live and the socio-economic factors in your community rather than the education system.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Any SHRED or MICRON of evidence to support this malicious gaslighting statement?
The right wing is becoming more conservative. Authoritarianism is at the extreme end of conservatism.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:15 AM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:
We saw a far right-wing mob riot and storm Congress trying to overturn a presidential election at the direction of an outgoing president who refused to acknowledge defeat in a democratic election, something that has NEVER happened in American history.

But it's the left that is authoritarian and gaslighting the right. Got it.

Back to OP, a tidbit you might find interesting is that psychologists find that people are less likely to change their mind after debating with someone. When debating, people don't meet in the middle, they dig their trenches deeper. You see it on this forum, when liberals only respond to the right-wing wackos, and conservatives only respond to the left-wing wackos. There's no appetite for honest, good faith debate. I include myself in that characterization. How do we stop this problem? I don't know. The answer is probably "get the hell off internet forums and just talk with people about sports or something".

Old 03-31-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Authoritarianism is at the extreme end of conservatism.
This is materially false, and we are seeing it every day that authoritarianism is a hallmark of the left. They are censoring and getting fired all voices they don't like. Ideology is being crammed down the public square and any opposing views are vilified. The country was completely unified in World War II to fight and beat the Nazis, and America was MUCH more conservative than it is today. This neanderthal linear axis of left to right is just completely inadequate to describe proximity to tyranny, totalitarianism, or authoritarianism.

Conservatism has no direct relevance to authoritarianism

You are either living in fantasy land or you are willfully lying to attack your political opponents

Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
I believe that both parties get accused of authoritarianism more and more because of the use of more and more Executive Orders/Actions.

I think we will see every change in federal administration followed by extensive use of those actions/orders to make changes in policy.

We are so divided that Congress is almost at a stalemate....and both sides seem determined not to work together if they don't have the upper hand.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
We saw a far right-wing mob riot and storm Congress trying to overturn a presidential election at the direction of an outgoing president who refused to acknowledge defeat in a democratic election, something that has NEVER happened in American history.
One Mob?

I know math is in question these days but last I checked the hundreds of rioting mobs on the left in 2020 are still more than the single right wing example

Old 03-31-2021, 11:21 AM

7,141 posts, read 4,736,438 times
We need two Americas. It’s at that point.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:22 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
This is materially false, and we are seeing it every day that authoritarianism is a hallmark of the left. They are censoring and getting fired all voices they don't like. Ideology is being crammed down the public square and any opposing views are vilified. The country was completely unified in World War II to fight and beat the Nazis, and America was MUCH more conservative than it is today. This neanderthal linear axis of left to right is just completely inadequate to describe proximity to tyranny, totalitarianism, or authoritarianism.

Conservatism has no direct relevance to authoritarianism

You are either living in fantasy land or you are willfully lying to attack your political opponents
What are you talking about? We just had a president who gassed his own citizens to stage photo ops. Anyone who disagreed with him was an enemy. The president made up a lie about election fraud to try and steal an election. The republican party today is becoming more authoritarian. The left isn't censoring anyone. Any of the 'censorship' we're talking about is the free market at work. The right wing seems to have a difficult time understanding that.

You are incorrect if you think the country used to be more conservative. Below is the 1956 Republican party platform. If I proposed that today, you'd call me a radical leftist. The hard truth is that the right wing is becoming more right wing, and that's becoming painfully obvious when the US is seen in a global setting.

1. Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers
2. Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers
3. Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service ad improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system
4. Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits
5. Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex
6. Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts
7. Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable
8. Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex
9. Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment
10. Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public
11. the protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively is the firm and permanent policy of the Eisenhower Administration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies