Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:49 AM

18,465 posts, read 7,105,093 times

Advertisements

Background checks disproportionately keep people of color and the poor from exercising their constitutional rights.

So, I say they should be done away with.

Turns out the Founders weren't racist at all when they said "shall not be infringed".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 12:08 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times
I think it’s less a sense of doing away with them and instead changing what we ding people for. People shouldn’t be held back decades later for some minor offense in their youth, especially if it was a victimless crime.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,474,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think it’s less a sense of doing away with them and instead changing what we ding people for. People shouldn’t be held back decades later for some minor offense in their youth, especially if it was a victimless crime.
So a minor who is charged and convicted of arson ( that silly victimless crime) , shouldn't be background checked ? Hmmm... Interesting.

I agree in part that if time was served and no further activity of that nature was ever reacted by the minor. The background check process is a data retrieve for those in public positions of public safety. Consider it a valid tool. Like a calculator is to an accountant.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:21 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So a minor who is charged and convicted of arson ( that silly victimless crime) , shouldn't be background checked ? Hmmm... Interesting.

I agree in part that if time was served and no further activity of that nature was ever reacted by the minor. The background check process is a data retrieve for those in public positions of public safety. Consider it a valid tool. Like a calculator is to an accountant.
Arson isn’t really a victimless crime. If you burn down an empty structure, you generally have at least deprived someone (the owner) of a valuable asset. In many cases that loss might represent a substantial portion of their net worth.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:27 PM

6,753 posts, read 3,377,577 times
So the OP would rather risk having a potential terrorist, foreign agent, convicted felon, or illegal alien in a sensitive position versus weeding out the bad apples?

Ridiculous. If someone doesn't belong there they shouldn't be there. My advice for the woke left is to really wake up and get with reality. Playing the race card for everything makes you look foolish.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:30 PM

14,235 posts, read 4,608,113 times
Quote:

Over here in California we have multiple fires every summer resulting in many lives and properties lost to fire.

Many of the fires started by arsonists.

So you can get your victimless crime shove up your ass
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sac...246453020.html

Old 03-31-2021, 12:31 PM

18,492 posts, read 8,318,409 times
LOL....a background check is about the most non-discriminating thing there is

it doesn't care what color you are

...if you can't do the time...don't do the crime

Old 03-31-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:

How long is a sufficient time to strip someone of a constitutional right that specifically states that it can't be restricted??

5 years?

10 years?

30 years?

Old 03-31-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
So the OP would rather risk having a potential terrorist, foreign agent, convicted felon, or illegal alien in a sensitive position versus weeding out the bad apples?

Ridiculous. If someone doesn't belong there they shouldn't be there. My advice for the woke left is to really wake up and get with reality. Playing the race card for everything makes you look foolish.

I would rather have people who have been deemed too dangerous and irresponsible to own a firearm be kept locked up and away from society.

I'd rather illegal aliens be deported out of the country.

But apparently the Left believes that they are both important enough to their agenda to give them incremental freedom.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
LOL....a background check is about the most non-discriminating thing there is

it doesn't care what color you are

...if you can't do the time...don't do the crime

People of color are more likely to be disqualified for their criminal history.

According to the Left, this is not by any fault of their own...

It's your fault because your racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies