Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 08:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It's rare - most people in China don't do that, and most people even in the city you named don't either.

https://www.hsi.org/news-media/zhuha...cats-wildlife/

I see little difference between eating cats and dogs, and eating cows, pigs, or lambs. So, the fact that some Chinese eat cats and dogs is a non-issue, imo.

Again, the issue is the utterly inhumane treatment the animals receive at the "festival," and other tourist destinations, where people stand around and watch the cruelty. Unbelievable.

And people who try to rescue the animals are mocked. Animal rights isn't really a thing in China.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is true that in some parts of China it is normal to eat dogs and cats. They even have a festival.
It was a staple of many Native American tribes as well. Louis & Clark, I can't remember which, preferred dog over venison after his travels.

We eat pigs (as smart as dogs) as well as a bunch of other stuff so if China etc. want to eat dogs, cats, pigs etc. then that's their business.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:27 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It was a staple of many Native American tribes as well. Louis & Clark, I can't remember which, preferred dog over venison after his travels.

We eat pigs (as smart as dogs) as well as a bunch of other stuff so if China etc. want to eat dogs, cats, pigs etc. then that's their business.
Yeah but a pig is a prey animal, and cats and dogs are predators. It sort of unusual for animals and man to eat other predators. It's just repulsive to me to eat dog.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:02 AM

1,301 posts, read 665,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is true that in some parts of China it is normal to eat dogs and cats. They even have a festival.
Oh boy, you have much to learn about China. They eat much more than cats & dogs:

Chinese People Eat Human Baby Soup to Improve Health & Boost Sexual Performance
https://www.themostpopularlists.com/...y-soup-to.html

Apparently there is a trade in China for aborted fetuses, which are used in herbal soups and other "remedies" in traditional Chinese medicine.
It's not just the strange oddities they eat in China, it's their abject cruelty in how they treat animals and prepare their food:

For instance, animals like dogs are often skinned and boiled alive in China:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...boiled-8788111

I won't even post the videos here, it's much too disturbing and upsetting.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah but a pig is a prey animal, and cats and dogs are predators. It sort of unusual for animals and man to eat other predators. It's just repulsive to me to eat dog.
I hear ya, I certainly am not going to eat dog myself.
Hogs are omnivorous but tend to eat smaller mammals, snakes, frogs.
There are known cases of them killing and eating humans fyi.

Smaller cats are on the menu for lots of things as are dogs. *shrug*

Old 04-01-2021, 12:53 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Is it necessary to put such content in a "test"?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/educ...rs-branch-isd/
Those are just facts. To Americans, China is like a backwards country in Africa where utterly barbaric actions are considered completely normal. They eat dogs and cats and scorpions and other weird things. Like any good African hell-hole, they're run by tyrannical dictators and they'll murder you just for looking at them the wrong way. They do crazy things like mass-exterminating sparrows only to massively regret it later on. They build infrastructure that is doomed to fail from the beginning. They're big proponents of ethnic and ideological genocide. And the tyrants running China absolutely do think theirs is the master race and that it is their right and destiny to rule/dominate the rest of the world.

If China wants to be seen in a better light, stop doing all the bad things. It's really that easy.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:10 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I can't watch the video. I've seen one before. Absolutely vicious.
The entire content is so cruel that the ONE instance where a dog dies a relatively quick death is still rather violent - a dog is smashed in the head with a very large mallet twice. It surely hurt but the first blow all but kills it - the second just makes sure death is certain. That's the one dog which didn't suffer too long in that video.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:15 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:

What is wrong with disliking China or residents of China? China is our enemy. Its very different from Asian Americans. As others have said some of them do eat dogs and cats. And their wet market is pretty disgusting. They have concentration camps for Muslims. Not much to like about them.

Kids should learn this at an early age.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:21 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

That is quite a stretch.....teaching children to dislike china/chinese.

The school district issued a statement Wednesday saying the “inappropriate language about Asian Americans” was “derogatory and hurtful.”

It was about China, not Asian Americans and although may be perceived as derogatory it is nonetheless true (eating dogs and cats and caning)

Does seem like stupid test questions though. I'm curious about the content of the lesson.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is quite a stretch.....teaching children to dislike china/chinese.

The school district issued a statement Wednesday saying the “inappropriate language about Asian Americans” was “derogatory and hurtful.”

It was about China, not Asian Americans and although may be perceived as derogatory it is nonetheless true (eating dogs and cats and caning)

Does seem like stupid test questions though. I'm curious about the content of the lesson.
I agree with this.

What do Chinese schools teach about the US, OP? About Europe? Do they gloss over historical or current facts? Are they concerned with teaching Chinese boys and girls to like the West? Somehow I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies