Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Western NY and still have friends there. Sad to see just how badly the state is doing.

1) Worst unemployment in the US, outside of Hawaii. Hawaii's economy is based on tourism so there position is understandable...NYS is not.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

2) For some time they have lead the nation in new cases of Covid-in spite of having some of the worst, most draconian lockdowns in the nation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

3) They lead the nation with a decline in population.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...t%20for%20each.

4) And of course they have the highest taxes in the nation.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

And...having grown up not far from Buffalo, I can say the winters don't help. Sad to see how bad things have gotten. Much of the state is really beautiful, with 2 of the Great Lake, the Finger Lakes region, Adirondacks, and all the coastline of LI. Too bad their government is responsible for destroying so much of the state and putting the citizens in misery. I really didn't appreciate how bad things were until I left-and things have gone way downhill in the last 27 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 06:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
New York state has been a boarded up mess since the late 90's when manufacturing left. They had a lot of company towns that were decimated once the company left.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
And there are Liberals out there that want to whole country to go this route...

Old 04-06-2021, 01:10 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times
I believe upstate and western New York would be better off separated from downstate and NYC. Policies championed by urban leftists are devastating to non-urban areas.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:32 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I grew up in Western NY and still have friends there. Sad to see just how badly the state is doing.

1) Worst unemployment in the US, outside of Hawaii. Hawaii's economy is based on tourism so there position is understandable...NYS is not.

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

2) For some time they have lead the nation in new cases of Covid-in spite of having some of the worst, most draconian lockdowns in the nation.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

3) They lead the nation with a decline in population.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...t%20for%20each.

4) And of course they have the highest taxes in the nation.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

And...having grown up not far from Buffalo, I can say the winters don't help. Sad to see how bad things have gotten. Much of the state is really beautiful, with 2 of the Great Lake, the Finger Lakes region, Adirondacks, and all the coastline of LI. Too bad their government is responsible for destroying so much of the state and putting the citizens in misery. I really didn't appreciate how bad things were until I left-and things have gone way downhill in the last 27 years.

Agreed.

I grew up in the Southern Tier area.

I left in 1997 but I still have family and friends there.

I go home to visit occasionally and thoroughly enjoy the food and the beauty of Upstate NY.

But I'm also always quickly reminded of why I left in the first place.

Economic decline has taken its toll on the area, high prices, high taxes, no jobs.....no future. And sadly, this has not improved since I left.

I love my home state but I hate NY government for what they've done to it.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:37 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Time to form a new state, North NY.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:37 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Some of them can move.. That is what I'd do.. some are stuck though. some voted for this and i do not feel sorry for them one whit. but some are stuck and did not vote for the rats. I do feel sorry for them.. but there is always a way out,, you might have to count your losses, but at least you will have a life getting out if its so bad. Unfortunately, the state you flee to might soon become liberal anyway.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:42 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
To add insult to injury, DeBlasio has absolutely destroyed NYC. Yet, the low information voters will keep electing him due to them being totally clueless.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:46 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
I remember riding on a Harley and seeing all the run down houses in the finger lakes region. Not one decent home did I see. It was sad. No jobs.. China first.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:49 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Time to form a new state, North NY.
Here is my plan and it does not include creating a 51st state.

(1) At the point where the Massachusetts, New York and Connecticut borders intersect, draw a new border west to the northeast corner of Pennsylvania. The area north and west of that line becomes upstate New York and keeps the name New York state.

(2) Separate the northern 1/3 of NJ from the lower 2/3rds of the state. The lower 2/3rds keep the Jersey name.

(3) Merge downstate New York (including Long Island, NYC and the NYC northern suburbs) as well as northern 1/3 of NJ into a physically expanded Connecticut.

This turns three existing blue states into two potential purple states and one hopelessly blue state and it consolidates the most toxic of the northeast leftists into just two states: the newly expanded Connecticut and Massachusetts.

It'll never happen but one can dream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies