Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 02:55 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Wait, isn’t that the party that “strongly” demands ID for voting, calling it “essential”? “Show me the papers” isn’t a factor when people want to exercise their democratic right to vote? Is it bad only when you can infect numerous people with the virus?

Anyway how does an unknown person entering a closed space supposed to prove he got the vaccine? Just by saying “I’m vaccinated”? Everyone gets a card when they got vaccinated, but not everyone has an ID card. In worst case scenario you may not be admitted to a ball game. It’s not like not being permitted to vote.
Whether you admit it or not, the only reason to oppose the requirement to show picture ID to vote is so that the Democrats can cheat.

Those that believe Voter ID is voter suppression all fall into one of two categories:
  1. Racists who are gullible idiots. They honestly believe that being black/brown makes you too stupid, incompetent and clueless to figure out how to get a State ID or Driver's License. They are so racist, they believe that being black or brown makes you vastly less capable of acquiring such things.
  2. Corrupt Democrats defending their ability to cheat like there's no tomorrow.
So which one are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 02:57 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
How about the massive surveillance that Edward Snowden has told us about?

If you don't know, then you're not paying attention or you just seem to have lost touch with the basics.
I am aware of what Snowden says, and I don't disagree.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I am aware of what Snowden says, and I don't disagree.
the Chinese Social Credit system is essentially what Naomi Wolf is trying to warn us of in regards to vaccine passports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

Old 04-02-2021, 03:01 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
It isn’t conspiratorial. It’s simply cover-your-posterior, or CYA. The vast apparatus of rules and regulations isn’t from a sinister cabal of fat men in 3-piece suits smoking cigars. It’s from jurisdiction, businesses and organizations seeking to protect themselves from lawsuit or liability.

Medicine bottles are hard to open because of the 1980s Tylenol scare. Remember that? Some jackass tool apart Tylenol caplets and inserted poison, or some such thing. People died. Consequently, safety-laws were passed. Manufacturers complied, and likely in some cases went above-and-beyond. Today, a feverish and exhausted person can’t use mouthwash at night, because the [expletive] bottle is too hard to open… one has to squeeze the cap just-so, often with considerable force. Otherwise independent convalescent patients now need a caretaker, to open their Listerine or Advil. This wasn’t a conspiracy. It was a cover-your-posterior reaction (over-reaction?) to the threat of future law-suits. What if another wacko injects poison into mouthwash or throat-lozenges or aspirin caplets? More liability, more lawsuits. Ergo, make the bottles tamper-proof… meaning, infuriatingly hard to open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is some irony that all the surveillance being done post patriot act on all Americans is a nothing burger to the people here screaming about vaccine passports. ...
Indeed. 9/11 was a watershed for the security-state. Covid is the second watershed.

Quote:
Naomi Wolf, who is a leftist, pretty much said the same thing--that China is being held up as the model for how to handle the whole Coronavirus. She also said in the video in my OP that the vaccine passport is the same thing as China's social credit system.
That’s an important point. China may be a geopolitical rival to the US or to the West in general, but the Chinese penchant for hierarchal organization, stability, and resilience in the face of crises, is indeed being regarded as a model and wise example. Today the West is asking itself, “Where have we gone wrong, whereas China has done right?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The patriot act which keeps getting renewed by huge majorities of both parties is proof enough both dems and GOP's want to control every american. There are a few like Rand Paul who stand up to all of this. The ACLU does not care.
This is precisely why the nanny/safety/security state is a non-partisan (or rather trans-partisan) issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
Our country will be completely open in 6 months, the need for vaccine passports will diminish over time.
As the kids say, "wanna bet"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A person can be pro vaccine and anti vaccine passports.
Exactly. I personally WOULD like to take the vaccine, because I regard the benefits to outweigh the risk. But I'd resent being compelled to do so, or to be judged for my choices.

Quote:
Funny how some will scream and yell over getting a vaccine in a pandemic, yet won't fight against racism, inequality, women's rights, voting rights, etc. So I guess fighting for freedom means only fighting for the issue(s) you believe in.
Yes, literally so. Fighting for freedom, indeed means fighting for those issues, in which I vehemently believe. What sense is there, in fighting for those things, in which one doesn't believe?

Quote:
It bothers me that you see this but just acquiesce to it all.
It bothers me too, but as others have noted, what exactly is the action-plan? Other than being more circumspect and guarded as an individual, what can I do? OK, I'm not shopping at Trader Joe's again, because of their particular zeal for anti-pandemic measures. Fine. I'll go elsewhere. As a consumer, I have choice (so far). But other than that, what are my options? What exactly I ought to be doing? What is the solution?

Should I donate money to somebody? To whom? Should I immigrate to Somalia? Douse myself in gasoline in the middle of Times Square, and set myself on fire? I mean, seriously: what should I do?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The Constitution is being ignored. The video explained that vaccine passports violate the 1st Amendment and the 4th Amendment, as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act. But you didn't watch it. And as you said, you don't really know. And you don't seem to want to know.
I'm all for freedom. However, in the case of a pandemic, measures have to be taken to try to mitigate the spread. Many in the US seem to averse to that logic. I've never seen so much "COPD" and "breathing problems" as I've seen since the pandemic started.

I've seen too many reports and studies that say that it's safe to wear a mask even if you have breathing problems.
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ly-wear-a-mask
https://www.uofmhealth.org/condition...onary-patients
https://www.webmd.com/lung/features/...ase-mask-myths
https://www.today.com/health/experts...larkey-t185344

Old 04-02-2021, 03:05 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It isn’t conspiratorial. It’s simply cover-your-posterior, or CYA. The vast apparatus of rules and regulations isn’t from a sinister cabal of fat men in 3-piece suits smoking cigars. It’s from jurisdiction, businesses and organizations seeking to protect themselves from lawsuit or liability.
But I repeat, how can anyone square the idea that Vaccine Passports are completely valid and acceptable, while at the same time believing that asking for photo ID to vote is an unimaginable suppression of Constitutional Rights and freedom??

Vaccine Passport is actually a lot more egregious. You're forbidding anyone refusing to show theirs the right to carry on in their life as normal. Voter ID is at least limited to elections.

So is it acceptable to ask people to prove who they are and provide details about their life or is it unacceptable??

Old 04-02-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Medicine bottles are hard to open because of the 1980s Tylenol scare. Remember that? Some jackass tool apart Tylenol caplets and inserted poison, or some such thing. People died. Consequently, safety-laws were passed. Manufacturers complied, and likely in some cases went above-and-beyond. Today, a feverish and exhausted person can’t use mouthwash at night, because the [expletive] bottle is too hard to open… one has to squeeze the cap just-so, often with considerable force. Otherwise independent convalescent patients now need a caretaker, to open their Listerine or Advil. This wasn’t a conspiracy. It was a cover-your-posterior reaction (over-reaction?) to the threat of future law-suits. What if another wacko injects poison into mouthwash or throat-lozenges or aspirin caplets? More liability, more lawsuits. Ergo, make the bottles tamper-proof… meaning, infuriatingly hard to open.

Indeed. 9/11 was a watershed for the security-state. Covid is the second watershed.

That’s an important point. China may be a geopolitical rival to the US or to the West in general, but the Chinese penchant for hierarchal organization, stability, and resilience in the face of crises, is indeed being regarded as a model and wise example. Today the West is asking itself, “Where have we gone wrong, whereas China has done right?”

This is precisely why the nanny/safety/security state is a non-partisan (or rather trans-partisan) issue.

As the kids say, "wanna bet"?

Exactly. I personally WOULD like to take the vaccine, because I regard the benefits to outweigh the risk. But I'd resent being compelled to do so, or to be judged for my choices.

Yes, literally so. Fighting for freedom, indeed means fighting for those issues, in which I vehemently believe. What sense is there, in fighting for those things, in which one doesn't believe?

It bothers me too, but as others have noted, what exactly is the action-plan? Other than being more circumspect and guarded as an individual, what can I do? OK, I'm not shopping at Trader Joe's again, because of their particular zeal for anti-pandemic measures. Fine. I'll go elsewhere. As a consumer, I have choice (so far). But other than that, what are my options? What exactly I ought to be doing? What is the solution?

Should I donate money to somebody? To whom? Should I immigrate to Somalia? Douse myself in gasoline in the middle of Times Square, and set myself on fire? I mean, seriously: what should I do?

I think what we can do is encourage state legislators to ban vaccine passports.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
the Chinese Social Credit system is essentially what Naomi Wolf is trying to warn us of in regards to vaccine passports.

Again, we are not China, and they don't have the freedoms we have. Requiring a vaccination passport in the midst of a pandemic isn't egregious IMO. It's just smart.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:07 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:

She said in the video that the vaccine passport is the same thing as the Chinese social credit system.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Again, we are not China, and they don't have the freedoms we have. Requiring a vaccination passport in the midst of a pandemic isn't egregious IMO. It's just smart.

We can lose freedoms if we don’t hold on to them. We’re not exempt. Once vaccine passports are here, they will not go away even covid does.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-02-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies