Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 10:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Christ on a cracker.

For the vast majority of people, covid is not dangerous, nor is it a death sentence.
As of today it has been a death sentence for 559,000 Americans.

Many of those for whom the original infection has resolved are not doing well, with persistent symptoms weeks or months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 10:25 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As of today it has been a death sentence for 559,000 Americans.

Many of those for whom the original infection has resolved are not doing well, with persistent symptoms weeks or months later.
I repeat, for the vast majority of people covid is not dangerous nor is it fatal.

That is an irrefutable fact.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's weird, I could count on no fingers the amount of people I saw in America wearing masks pre Covid.

Covid is not the flu. It's dangerous to many people. What about their right to go out in the world?

People are worried about becoming second class citizens because they're voluntarily unvaccinated, and won't be able to participate where vaccinations are required - hypothetically.

Are people that can't go out in a Covid world for health reasons also second class citizens? After all if a large number of people don't vax and also pitch a fit if there are Covid free/vaccinations required places posted, then aren't at risk people still stuck in where they can go and where they can't?

Too bad for them I suppose.
They have always had those concerns. The common cold which there is no vaccine for could end up killing an immune compromised person too. Even a paper cut could be deadly. Being in a hospital is dangerous for them. I know an immune compromised person that got a staph infection and MRSA there. Covid is just "one more thing". There could be something else new and deadly that crops up tomorrow. There are too many things to list that could hurt a person in that condition. Many forms of hepatitis are highly contagious too which is a danger for everyone. It's a huge concern in areas where there are transients and open unregulated drug use.

Speaking of, though OT...people in cities (even small ones like mine) have asked why something can't be done about the public health risks of used needles everywhere. Human feces and urine too. We are told if we want to go out in the world we have to protect ourselves and take precautions to protect our own health. There is nothing they can do about the actions of other people. They have "rights". It's gotten to the point where you can't even tell a transient where they can sleep (even if it's dangerous) It would be illegal to restrict or limit their freedom of movement. In some cases it's quite inhumane IMO. Many are mentally ill and can no longer take care of themselves. Yet you can't even "force" them to take approved medication (nothing experimental in nature) that may benefit them.

Well...other people have rights too. We are in new territory here...this vaccine doesn't even have full FDA approval yet. It should be a voluntary decision at this point if one feels the need for that extra protection.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:36 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
I repeat, for the vast majority of people covid is not dangerous nor is it fatal.

That is a irrefutable fact.
1. 550k+ are dead in this country. For 2020 there was about 18% increase in deaths compared to the expected number with all the measures in place.
2. There is not enough information yet about the long lasting Covid effects.
3. Now, in terms of irrefutable facts: the virus is extremely contagious.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
1. 550k+ are dead in this country. For 2020 there was about 18% increase in deaths compared to the expected number with all the measures in place.
2. There is not enough information yet about the long lasting Covid effects.
3. Now, in terms of irrefutable facts: the virus is extremely contagious.
1. Again, the vast majority of people are not in risk of dying from covid.
2. You know what also can have long term effects? The flu.
3. It's not "extremely" contagious. It's more contagious than the flu and less than the measles.

Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
People are worried about becoming second class citizens because they're voluntarily unvaccinated, and won't be able to participate where vaccinations are required - hypothetically.

Are people that can't go out in a Covid world for health reasons also second class citizens? After all if a large number of people don't vax and also pitch a fit if there are Covid free/vaccinations required places posted, then aren't at risk people still stuck in where they can go and where they can't?
Many of us are beset by risks of various sorts. Not always can something be done about it. And sometimes the remedy is more noxious and oppressive than the risk itself.

Quote:
Too bad for them I suppose.
We all have to die some time. For some of us, that might not be for another 40 years. For some, it might be tonight.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
1. Again, the vast majority of people are not in risk of dying from covid.
2. You know what also can have long term effects? The flu.
3. It's not "extremely" contagious. It's more contagious than the flu and less than the measles.
1. So only if a vast majority are expected to die, action is necessary?

2. Flu: Much less contagious. Vaccine has been available every year for forever. Antivirals work really well.

3. Measles: Are you familiar with the MMR vaccine? Since 1971 I believe. But yes, limited outbreaks still happen due to idiots.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Many of us are beset by risks of various sorts. Not always can something be done about it. And sometimes the remedy is more noxious and oppressive than the risk itself.

We all have to die some time. For some of us, that might not be for another 40 years. For some, it might be tonight.
You are on to something there. IMO we need to teach people about mortality and acceptance of death. No one talks about that. I include myself as it's not easy. No one seems to prepare anyone for the prospect of unexpected illness either. Yes, we have to responsibly protect ourselves and others, but it got out of control at times. I witnessed a lot of fear based dysfunction these past 13 months. Many were forced to deal with others unhealthy neuroses as a result. Any doctor will agree that mental health is just as important as physical health. Some are forgetting that.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:32 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

True. Might as well apply all that logic and fatalism to taking the vaccine then, no? Then everyone can go about their business, and the very small percentage of people that suffer a side effect and die would be one of those who’s time was simply up. If that’s how we’re looking at things.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:33 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
You are on to something there. IMO we need to teach people about mortality and acceptance of death. No one talks about that. I include myself as it's not easy. No one seems to prepare anyone for the prospect of unexpected illness either. Yes, we have to responsibly protect ourselves and others, but it got out of control at times. I witnessed a lot of fear based dysfunction these past 13 months. Many were forced to deal with others unhealthy neuroses as a result. Any doctor will agree that mental health is just as important as physical health. Some are forgetting that.
A well vaccinated populace would go a long way in mitigation of such dysfunction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies