Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 11:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

I'm safe in Texas. /unsub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 11:54 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
True. Might as well apply all that logic and fatalism to taking the vaccine then, no? Then everyone can go about their business, and the very small percentage of people that suffer a side effect and die would be one of those who’s time was simply up. If that’s how we’re looking at things.
For the proverbially umpteenth time, I am IN FAVOR of the vaccine, and intend to sign up, as soon as I'm eligible. What I oppose is the nanny-state either mandating the vaccine, or even worse surveilling and recording and then segregating based on vaccine-update.

Analogously, I like to exercise regularly. But I'd deeply resent if the state mandated exercises. I'd resent it even more, if everyone had to carry an exercise-card, where it was recorded and displayed, how often they exercise, and whether they'd exercised that past week.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
A well vaccinated populace would go a long way in mitigation of such dysfunction.
I won't excuse some of the madness I witnessed. Like a person showing up for work in a gas mask. That's overkill. It scared customers too.

If this vaccine was something that people could have assurance would involve a one and done shot like the measles I would agree it would help. That's not what I am hearing. They are talking changes to the vaccine, variants and a yearly booster needed. Possibly every six months. All that uncertainty every year won't be good.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:13 AM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Americans are freaking out disproportionately to what’s been happening partly because of media and their breathless fear in their voices about Covid. I don’t even believe their claims that “younger kids are the new victims,” because they never put any numbers behind that claim to back it up. Seems like they’re programming for their next massive vaccine campaign for all young kids. A kid under ten years old and small toddlers getting a shot of an emergency use vaccine? The idea is unsettling to say the least. MO

Americans are freaking out disproportionately because they’re terrified of dying. Americans have become self-absorbed, money hungry, power hungry, suffer from lust for material things, and have gotten off track. If more people felt truly “Right with their maker,” whatever they see that as, there would be less panic, and they wouldn’t accept anything as obtrusive as the new, “convenient, easy-access” vaccine passport. The new shiny object. It won’t stop when Covid is gone.

Start meditating or do yoga or something. It helps. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:19 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
For the proverbially umpteenth time, I am IN FAVOR of the vaccine, and intend to sign up, as soon as I'm eligible. What I oppose is the nanny-state either mandating the vaccine, or even worse surveilling and recording and then segregating based on vaccine-update.

Analogously, I like to exercise regularly. But I'd deeply resent if the state mandated exercises. I'd resent it even more, if everyone had to carry an exercise-card, where it was recorded and displayed, how often they exercise, and whether they'd exercised that past week.
Agreed. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:07 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I repeat, for the vast majority of people covid is not dangerous nor is it fatal.

That is an irrefutable fact.
She doesn't deal in facts. Only opinions, google-copy-paste without reading the links, and lots of fear.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:21 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Ah! So everyone at risk should follow rules. As set out by the government. Just curious if anyone considers that overbearing control or I dunno.... common sense.

Taking measures to take care of one’s health is common sense, yes. The “rules” however are not always right for everyone.

I have an autoimmune disease and do things to deal with that that others without AI disease don’t have to do. It’s pretty normal actually for people to have different ways of maintaining their own health due to different health factors, etc.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-08-2021 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 07:25 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
As of today it has been a death sentence for 559,000 Americans.

Many of those for whom the original infection has resolved are not doing well, with persistent symptoms weeks or months later.
You do understand what most means, right?

Old 04-08-2021, 07:50 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I repeat, for the vast majority of people covid is not dangerous nor is it fatal.

That is an irrefutable fact.
The ones for whom it is dangerous and fatal do not count, eh? There are a lot of them, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I won't excuse some of the madness I witnessed. Like a person showing up for work in a gas mask. That's overkill. It scared customers too.

If this vaccine was something that people could have assurance would involve a one and done shot like the measles I would agree it would help. That's not what I am hearing. They are talking changes to the vaccine, variants and a yearly booster needed. Possibly every six months. All that uncertainty every year won't be good.
Measles vaccine is two doses.

Yes, one and done would be great, but why is the need for a booster such a stumbling block? Six months seems to be off the table. Pfizer has six month results on its Phase 3 participants showing efficacy is still high with no signs of it waning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You do understand what most means, right?
Most is a relative term. It absolute numbers 559,000 is a large number of deaths. Does half the population have to die before you consider the number significant?

Old 04-08-2021, 07:56 AM

17,409 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The ones for whom it is dangerous and fatal do not count, eh? There are a lot of them, too.

I never said they do not count.

What I did say is that for the vast majority of people, covid is not dangerous nor a death sentence.

No matter how many times you say "but, but, but ..." will not change that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies