Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 02:10 PM

210 posts, read 156,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
At least an amount equal to what is being wiped out for student debt. Debt is debt, why are they unfairly targeting certain debt holders over others?
Because 1) Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Other types of loans are.

2) Education is an intangible item that there is no way to reposess if defaulted on loan payments.

3) The disparity between the cost of an eductation (which has skyrocketed in the last 20 years) and entry level wages (which have remained largely flat in the last 20 years) is massive (no you can't compare today's loans to your experience from 1982), making it extremely difficult to afford both student loan payments and a rent payment (and have you seen what rents are like now?)

And lastly, 4) if a federal student loan is defaulted on, the government will still get their money from you eventually - they'll garnish your social security.

If it goes through, they'll be doing it to avert a future crisis of large numbers of elderly who are homeless and can't even afford to eat cat food from their remaining miniscule monthly SS payment.

Last edited by mcsangel2; 04-02-2021 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 02:31 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Good watch from CBS:

Old 04-02-2021, 02:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I don't have student loan debt, AND I'm for others getting their student loans wiped out by any means necessary. Just because some of you struggled to pay your loans off, doesn't mean someone else should struggle like you did. If you're doing
well financially, you shouldn't be worried about the helping hand someone else may receive.
Why should I help someone else pay off the same debt I worked hard to pay off? They can sacrifice and put in their time as well. If you want t pay of someone's debt, go for it, but you have no right to tell me I have to. More proof that Americans are soft as jelly. China might as well attack now. We wouldn't stand a chance. People would be screaming "why should I die for freedom just because others did"?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
Yes, he can. Don't forget some of the Debt is "Fed-owned" and orange wanted to sell the debts to a private company when he was POTUS.
actually he can't

remember EO's are meaningless....non-binding

Obama signed an EO to close Gitmo...its STILL open

Old 04-02-2021, 03:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
All I hear is "Me, Me, Me, Me, Me!!!!"

"What about meeeee"

I will pay off my loans next year whether this happens or not. This is a good thing for the economy long term.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:44 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post
Because 1) Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Other types of loans are.

2) Education is an intangible item that there is no way to reposess if defaulted on loan payments.

3) The disparity between the cost of an eductation (which has skyrocketed in the last 20 years) and entry level wages (which have remained largely flat in the last 20 years) is massive (no you can't compare today's loans to your experience from 1982), making it extremely difficult to afford both student loan payments and a rent payment (and have you seen what rents are like now?)

And lastly, 4) if a federal student loan is defaulted on, the government will still get their money from you eventually - they'll garnish your social security.

If it goes through, they'll be doing it to avert a future crisis of large numbers of elderly who are homeless and can't even afford to eat cat food from their remaining miniscule monthly SS payment.
1. Student loans should be dischargeable in bankruptcy. Basically solves the problem.

2. Whether or not the use of the debt is for an intangible has nothing to do with debt forgiveness.

3. Control the cost of higher education than. Maybe all the pampered tenured professors need pay cuts.

4. Feds shouldn't be making loans in the first place.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:52 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
The only way this could be fair is if you have $50k to every taxpayer not just those with student loan debts

Old 04-02-2021, 03:53 PM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Biden is about to write another check his butt can’t cash.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:55 PM

4,389 posts, read 1,697,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The "student loan places" are the United States Government. The government cannot cancel private loans, only federal loans will be canceled. They have already shut off interest and payments on federal government student loans. He might be able to say that no interest will be change and no payments collected on the first $50,000 of every federal student loan. This would effectively cancel them at least as long as his EO remained in effect. It is possible they might come back someday, but that could happen in a lot of ways. Actually cancelled loans are considered income, so instead of making loan payments, everyone would owe taxes on $50,000 of income. For us that would be about $11,000. We would have to take out a loan to pay it. It would be worth doing so, even if the tax loan was at a higher interest rate than the student loan, because we would still have $39,000 cancelled. However this would give the government a nearly instant short term influx of cash.
Actually, not always, not anymore. PSLF loans that are forgiven are not taxed. And just a week or so ago, the legislature passed a law (or EO, or whatever, I don't remember) that said they would pause the tax on loan forgiveness programs for the next several years. The taxes usually applied to loans forgiven after 20 years of being on an IBR plan.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:56 PM

1,173 posts, read 550,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I can’t wait. He has six months to do it before I have to start repaying my loans again...

I’m voting for him twice next time!
I thought you’re joking until I looked at your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies