Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,331 posts, read 80,658,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And to think...

We already have a thread where all the right wingers were crying about "wokeness" and sports.

Now this.

I guess there is still bass fishing and monster trucks that you all can watch.
Don't forget noodling!

I had a business for 16 years, and I took the approach that anyone's money was as good as anyone else's. I did work for both the Democrat and Republican parties, and for candidates for both parties, and often don't vote for either. Just as religion should be kept out of politics, politics should be kept out of business. And yes, professional (and college) sports are business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6IUDifi2Q

Old 04-02-2021, 01:59 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Voter suppression is bad for business. The MLB is a private corporation and under capitalism, can do what is best for its business.
It's a little early to be declaring that this was a good business move, isn't it? You live in Pennsylvania? What in this Georgia law would make voting there any more onerous there than it is here in PA?

Old 04-02-2021, 01:59 PM

20,110 posts, read 16,086,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
They only have 7 states that aren't trying to restrict voting rights to choose from so if they go anywhere else that is trying to restrict voting access, then they are bing very disingenuous and outright hypocritical...the only states not considering any laws like in GA are
MA-Boston
NY-NY Mets or Yankees
OH-Cleveland Cincy
WV- No Team
VT- No Team
IL- Chi Cubs or White Sox
WI- Brewers
CO- Rockies
CA- Padres, Dodgers, Angels, Athletics, or Giants
OR- No Team
WA- Mariners.

Now, w/ a Dem governor in place, PA can try and pass restrictions but they will be vetoed...so Pirates or Phillies could host
MI can try and pass them but their Dem governor will veto them so Tigers could host
MN won't pass any even though its been introduced in their legislature
Of course Toronto could host and DC could host.

So plenty of options still of where to play it...but many other states are trying some or all or in AZ's case even more restrictions.
Are we also taking out all the places that changing their voting laws because they already have the same, or in many cases, more stringent voting laws in place?

Old 04-02-2021, 02:00 PM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Voter suppression is bad for business. The MLB is a private corporation and under capitalism, can do what is best for its business.

The good ol' boys in Georgia can spin this any way they want, but the bottom line is that to them, too many of the wrong people voted in the last election. And just like it was in the old south, that must be stopped.
Completely false. Nothing in this bill suppresses votes.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,289,959 times
There’s a better chance of Pelosi switching parties tomorrow than there is of the Masters not being played at Augusta. You might see a few players like Cameron Champ or something announce they won’t play it but that’s as far as it’ll get

Old 04-02-2021, 02:01 PM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In Abram’s own words - “Black, Latino, AAPI, and Native American voters whose votes are the most suppressed under SB 202 are also the most likely to be hurt by potential boycotts of Georgia.”

Problem is it’s a lot easier to get a rock to start rolling down hill than it is to stop it once it gains momentum. You started that rock rolling, girlfriend. Good job.
well she still thinks she's the governor, so...

Old 04-02-2021, 02:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 454,748 times
Nothing funnier than liberals thinking the most tradition based event in sports history can be moved.

LMAOOOOOOOOO

Old 04-02-2021, 02:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 3,980,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Well this is sad to see. Can't say I'm surprised MLB caved to the woke left... Hopefully the numbers tank this year (regarding how many people watch it).

MLB moving All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law

Thoughts?
They don't want people to show photo ID to vote, but will demand them show covid vaccine papers to attend a game? Can't make this crap up people.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:08 PM

5,280 posts, read 5,210,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Well, I was planning to take the kids to their first Braves game this year. I’ve decided to cancel baseball now.

Besides, next will be pressure to change the team name as well.
Already doing that here in Cleveland...IT doesn't bother me...so long as they don't change our team colors which I think are the best our our 3 sports teams, I'm cool...I root for them because the represent our city, not because of their nickname.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:10 PM

5,280 posts, read 5,210,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Didn’t GA vote blue/Biden in 2020?
Yep, and that's a major problem as far as the GOP ran legislature and governor are concerned...they know their only chance to keep control is if they limit the # of voters in high population Democratic leaning Metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.