Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 11:03 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaplan2323 View Post
Catholic voters mirror the general electorate population.
I don't know where you live but my family is Catholic and Democrat. Due to the current ideas of the Democratic party is what has pushed us to vote Republican or 3rd party. Most Catholics from church I know are Democrat.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
It sounds more like anti-Trumpers getting angry when their own tactics get used against them.
I'm not angry, I think it's a person or a (private) businesses right to do as they please, and they can enjoy or suffer the consequences. I just find it funny.

You guys have gone on and on about "cancel culture". I saw Mitch McConnell specifically calling on his base to boycott businesses that don't support their agenda. Which is it?

Another thing that I found "interesting" was that Right Wingers want businesses to have constitutional rights (People's United, which IIRC, was originally a poorly thought out DEMOCRATIC initiative, but now embraced by the right), but then their leader, Mitch, goes on TV and says "businesses need to stay out of Politics". Seems like they want to have their cake and eat it too.....

Since you were the first to respond to my post, which way do you see it. Should Businesses have a voice in politics, or should they stay out of it, or should they only stay out of it when they don't agree with your POV?
Same question for Musicians
Actors
Athletes

Let's be consistent, that's all.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:27 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I don't know where you live but my family is Catholic and Democrat. Due to the current ideas of the Democratic party is what has pushed us to vote Republican or 3rd party. Most Catholics from church I know are Democrat.
Same here. Due to democrats. It has pushed me to vote 3rd party. I mainly vote Dem on economic line and not social.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:31 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I saw Mitch McConnell specifically calling on his base to boycott businesses that don't support their agenda.
link pls.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
and you don't find anything about the left hypocritical or funny? the grandfather of mass incarceration of black people and breaking black families apart calling Georgia Jim Crow on steroids. The same sellout that sold us to China and got rich from China calling this Jim Crow on steroids and everybody on the left buys it? I'm sure many blue states had the same thing about "F" Trump. This has been going on for 4 years but I guess you don't find them funny or hypocritical. You are part of them.

So you don't have a problem with the snowflakes complaining in the first place and protesting, demanding, boycotts and people get to fired but if the right complains about the Woke and PC culture then they are the babies? LMAO! Nice spin.
You should read more of my posts. I find A LOT about the Left Annoying, Hypocritical and 'funny'. I think I even said that in this discussion, but maybe it was another.

I don't have a problem with anyone complaining, protesting or demanding boycotts, UNLESS they are against it when it's not convenient for them.

Plenty of hypocrisy on both sides. The left is awful. Just not as awful as the right recently. (And if the Right actually lived by the values they claim to have, like fiscal responsibility, smaller gov't and American success, I would vote for them more than I already do. So would a lot of people. If they did what they claim to do, and the left didn't change, they'd have my vote, and a huge majority of Americans. The reason they don't have the votes, is because they don't do it.)

Are you willing to be honest too, or do you only expect it of me?

Old 04-06-2021, 11:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In Abram’s own words - “Black, Latino, AAPI, and Native American voters whose votes are the most suppressed under SB 202 are also the most likely to be hurt by potential boycotts of Georgia.”

Problem is it’s a lot easier to get a rock to start rolling down hill than it is to stop it once it gains momentum. You started that rock rolling, girlfriend. Good job.
they've never considered that.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
I see that article was written before a lot of these news organizations started walking back on some of this. Some of the arguments you have are based not on comparing it to former Georgia election laws but to the emergency changes done for the 2020 election due to Covid.

But, to your “facts”-

-Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
The time shaved off is in the beginning. Honestly, six months before the election is ridiculously early. The new amount of time, 78 days before, is plenty. By the way, I see you either didn’t notice the “no-excuse” absentee voting or chose not to mention it - something new to increase voter access and not available in 16 other states.
-There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
They are now in line with multiple other states including Colorado and my Kentucky
-It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
If the person has moved that gives personal information, including voter ID#, to the new resident. Sure, you aren’t supposed to open their mail, but people do.
-Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
Drop boxes did not exist prior to the 2020 election, that was something done for Covid, and were placed there as part of emergency measures that covered only the 2020 election. Having drop boxes is a new measure to increase voter access. My state just revised their election laws post election and they did not keep the drop boxes.
-Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
That’s a bad idea, regardless. Who has those, anyway? How do you decide where they go? The potential for claims of partisan favoritism is incredible and would probably be legitimate.
-Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
Good thing you said probably, because that just isn’t true. The law state minimum hours/days, including at least two Saturdays, and additional hours/days, including Sundays, can be chosen at the discretion of the local election official - which in heavily Democrat counties is run by a Democrat.
-Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.
Only within the electioneering prohibited area. Approaching people in line is considered soft electioneering and is not allowed in most states. Two other states specifically forbid or have restrictions on handing out food and water - one being New York. By the way, volunteers are allowed to drop off an unmarked cooler with plain water bottles.
-If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
That exists in most states.
-With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
Well, I sincerely doubt it will be as long as we waited for the 2020 election.
-With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
As they should. Why was this not a thing before?????
-The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
Read your constitution, they are supposed to.
-The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
It’s about an even split between states where the Secretary of State is voting or just the Chairman.
-The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
Somebody should be able to..... the Fulton County guy should have been removed after the 2018 election. The guy is inept. But, you do need to read the rules about that - it takes two failed election cycles and there are provisions for appeals.
-Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.
That is a good thing. Don’t know why Georgia doesn’t have primaries like others states, it’s a lot cleaner. But their state, their rules.
Best post ever on this. As someone who not only lives and votes in GA, I’ve also read the bill in its entirety. Spot on.

I’m waiting for the next round of idiotic misinformed complaints in 3..2..1....

Old 04-06-2021, 11:41 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're wrong. You have to read the entire passage to understand why you're wrong.

It is not illegal in GA to provide food and/or drink to those waiting in line at the polls. What IS illegal is electioneering while doing so. Here is the specific passage in SB 202, the only one in which food and drink is mentioned:

"Section 33

Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:

(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, [b]nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink[/B], to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:

(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;

(2) Within any polling place; or

(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place."

https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legisla...0212022/201121

Become informed, educate yourself, and PLEASE stop spreading left-wing misinformation (aka deliberate lies).
Do you understand the meaning of the words "Nor shall any person give ....including but not limited to food and drink", speaking of education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Do you believe your own B.S.? there is nothing repressive about the new law.
You quoted me telling you what I think is wrong with the Dems, then posted that you don't think I have any critique, and YOU want to accuse ME of spreading BS?

Of course there are repressive things about the GA law. Do you research, and don't just listen to Fox (or CNN). There is good and bad in the law, but mostly it's to repress voting.

One example, under the new law, if a majority of the five-member board decides that a county's elections officials have been doing their job poorly, the board can suspend those officials and replace them with one person the board has hand-picked to serve as a temporary superintendent, with the same powers the officials had.

How is that helpful?

Or read section 15, where they can challenge electors, and have their board (which is currently loaded with Republicans, but one day might be loaded with Dems) review the final decision if it's legit or not.

BTW, here is a link to the bill, in case you haven't bothered to go to the source:
https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legisla...0212022/201121

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
First, self-serve water stations are allowed. Any volunteer group can drop off unmarked coolers full of plain water bottles. Second, that provision only applies with the certain number of feet of the polling place or line that prohibits electioneering - just like in 47 other states (Louisiana and Washington don’t have specified distances).
I'm assuming that the water coolers have to be outside of the "no electioneering" zone, right? Otherwise, the volunteers wouldn't be able to replenish the coolers when they ran empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies