Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 03:14 PM

25,740 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

I've unsubscribed from the MLB.com email list 3x now, but they keep sending me their junk. I've cancelled MLB, & NBA, and NFL.

I'm getting used to this cancelling stuff now. Lots of company's too!

Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I've unsubscribed from the MLB.com email list 3x now, but they keep sending me their junk. I've cancelled MLB, & NBA, and NFL.

I'm getting used to this cancelling stuff now. Lots of company's too!
Yet you call the left the cancel culture crowd

Old 04-06-2021, 03:41 PM

379 posts, read 155,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Yet you call the left the cancel culture crowd
Why do so many on the left get upset by those on the right adopting leftist tactics that obviously work? But, but, but...you said you were against cancel culture....so just let those of us on the left keep using it as a club to whack you on the head.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Well this is sad to see. Can't say I'm surprised MLB caved to the woke left... Hopefully the numbers tank this year (regarding how many people watch it).

MLB moving All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law

Thoughts?
No more Cubs or Cardinals games for me.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:37 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I see, so you don’t know. As a GA resident and voter there are many ways to handle water.

1) people bring their own

2) poll workers make it available. As long as it isn’t political or partisan they can have a cooler full of water bottles handy, even within 25 feet.

3) people step out of line and go get water from someone outside the boundary and come back

4) the county election board, who is responsible for polling locations, sets them up appropriately so that there won’t be huge lines. That’s not on the state, but until the law passed there was no process to force a county to fix problems.
Seems to me that the largest problem they have in Georgia is extremely long lines, I didn't see any effort to address that forcing the counties to reduce the wait. If they didn't have such long lines water would not be an issue, seems like they are addressing the symptom rather than the disease.

I don't see that many other states took the time to address the issue of water.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Seems to me that the largest problem they have in Georgia is extremely long lines, I didn't see any effort to address that forcing the counties to reduce the wait. If they didn't have such long lines water would not be an issue, seems like they are addressing the symptom rather than the disease.

There is only so much that can be done about long lines. The counties and state can’t mandate that not everyone waits until the last minute. They could potentially build some kind of system that gives people say a three day window to vote to spread the voters out, but can you imagine the uproar over that? If you don’t want to wait in a long line, vote by mail or go early. It’s simple. BTW water is still allowed at the polling stations, it’s just that campaign people can’t hand it out anymore.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:45 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
There is only so much that can be done about long lines. The counties and state can’t mandate that not everyone waits until the last minute. They could potentially build some kind of system that gives people say a three day window to vote to spread the voters out, but can you imagine the uproar over that? If you don’t want to wait in a long line, vote by mail or go early. It’s simple. BTW water is still allowed at the polling stations, it’s just that campaign people can’t hand it out anymore.
It appears they addressed everything else in their bill I don't understand why this couldn't be resolved, waiting on line for hours is abusive. I don't know of any other state that has that issue, maybe Arizona or Florida. Reducing wait times should be bipartisan.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:49 PM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

How can there be long lines to vote in Georgia? I mean, with all the racist voter suppression going on there, there shouldn't be any lines.

Do liberals even pause to consider how irrational their arguments are?

Old 04-06-2021, 05:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
How can there be long lines to vote in Georgia? I mean, with all the racist voter suppression going on there, there shouldn't be any lines.

Do liberals even pause to consider how irrational their arguments are?
No your ability to understand what causes the lines is the problem.

It took me four hours to vote the first time in 2008 -- in Georgia.

It took me 45 minutes in early voting in South Carolina. South Carolina where they offer a month of early voting.......

Old 04-06-2021, 06:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
as quoted by someone who supports the law, a few posts up, it's not even allowed within 25 feet of someone standing in line, however long that line is.

So they empower election officials to restrict voting to 9-5, which disproportionally affects low-wage and hourly workers, they give them the ability to bottleneck early voting, which puts more people in line, and then they forbid people from dropping off water or snacks to voters.

IDK about GA, but in NC, it was often families just handing out water to show their children more of the American voting process (which I'm sure terrifies those wanting to keep R's in office).

nope, but if folks want to have a real discussion, we sure can.

It's not trying to keep kids from handing folks water bottles. It's to keep folks from attempting to influence a voter's choice by doing so. How obvious is this not, apparently?

You live near me. Surely the signs are the same in your precinct as mine. They're placed a certain distance from the entry door. Beyond that, there re always volunteers telling you how you should vote for certain candidates - politely in NC of course .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies