Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 08:12 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
This again?
567k dead so far in this country. So the number of infected then must be 567 million
Then why does Biden have open borders with COVID outbreaks?

Guess he doesn't care about the 567K dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 08:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Actually I did read your OP. And I defended you position on not wanting to take the vaccine in spite of the swipe you took at Trump supporters implying we are all uneducated rubes:

"Just wondering if there are other thoughtful, intellectual "sane" people (as opposed to the Q nuts and Trump supporters"

I like you claim to be, am educated, well informed, well read and fairly well traveled. I don't buy into hyperbole, which is why I cut cable and watch no television or cable news outlets and haven't for years. I never heard of "Q" until I read comments here on CD about "Q". I'm simply an observer of trends, have well honed critical thinking skills and a fairly accurate internal BS detector, or Spidy sense in the current vernacular.

And that sense was triggered about a year ago when the "flatten the curve" temporary lockdowns, social distancing and mask mandates kept getting extended into infinity. That was paradigm one. Mask adherents vs mask deniers.

Then the vaccines rolled out and that is paradigm two. Unquestioned faith in the vaccine vs skeptics like yourself and me, who are reluctant to take an injection that was quickly developed without knowledge of long term effect in the face of minimal risks involved in contracting Covid. And I'm in the 65+ high risk group.

If "people of the left" is a "stupid" way to refer to people, I'm open to alternatives. Progressives, secular progressives, communists, hate filled progressives, democrats, bandwagon riders, etc., take your pick. I didn't include the term "liberal" because I am a classic liberal. The left hijacked the liberal label long ago to lend credibility their radical agenda.

I have similar feelings and thoughts on all of this. I’m also former liberal.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:18 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Draconian, there is no need to go that far.

Plus, once herd-immunity is reached, there is no need for all this caution. Well, that is until the next "covid-season" rolls around and the your vax no longer protects you against that different strain.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:18 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Yep! And if it was so deadly, then we would be seeing hundreds if not thousands of homeless people dropping dead, or dead and dying in all the caravans coming up from South and Middle America. Seriously, did observance in people decline that much in the past 30 years?
Bingo, we would all be in hazmat suits if this pandemic was as scary and liberals wanted it to be.

Also, why is the southern border open if this virus is so deadly? Do illegal immigrants have access to this vaccine?

Old 04-03-2021, 08:25 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
My 87-year-old very active cousin and his 67-year-old wife got the vaccine. They do have several serious underlying issues. They were fully vaccinated a month ago and as of Thursday are both sick with the Rona. One of them is in the hospital, and I am pretty sure they will both be in the hospital by Monday. This vaccine is not the cure-all we were told it would be. Not the early stage one. Pfizer has already pushed out vaccine 1.1 that they say is improved over the first one. I have no doubt that these vaccines will be more effective at some point. Perhaps even fully effective. But we aren't there yet. It's going to take a couple of more years to perfect. Truth be told, I know more people sick with COVID today than I did a year ago.
Hmm, I wonder how many times we are supposed to get stuck before they get it right. And they say it only lasts six months if it does work.

I also wonder do people think this is one and done, life gets back to normal because we "did our part"...and we put it behind us lalalalala.

I hope it does slow things down of course and we can reach herd immunity sooner than later but I don't feel so optimistic as many of the gung ho pro vaxers are and they are very assertive and certain in their faith that this is going to be the end of the virus, even being told we will still have to practice safety measures after vaccination.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:46 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Hmm, I wonder how many times we are supposed to get stuck before they get it right. And they say it only lasts six months if it does work.

I also wonder do people think this is one and done, life gets back to normal because we "did our part"...and we put it behind us lalalalala.

I hope it does slow things down of course and we can reach herd immunity sooner than later but I don't feel so optimistic as many of the gung ho pro vaxers are and they are very assertive and certain in their faith that this is going to be the end of the virus, even being told we will still have to practice safety measures after vaccination.
Testing shows that after 6 months, antibodies are still present to protect from Covid. That’s because we’re 6 months out from the first vaccines being administered. That doesn’t mean they only last 6 months. It means that’s all the data we currently have. Big difference.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Testing shows that after 6 months, antibodies are still present to protect from Covid. That’s because we’re 6 months out from the first vaccines being administered. That doesn’t mean they only last 6 months. It means that’s all the data we currently have. Big difference.
Right.

It's experimental with no long-term data regarding efficacy OR safety.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right.

It's experimental with no long-term data regarding efficacy OR safety.
yep.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
First off, the disclaimer: I am not an "anti-vaxer" (which is now a slur). I was vaccinated as a child, as were my children. I like to live healthy, as much as is possible (for me, meaning organic foods and natural healing methods. I do use allopathic medicines when necessary and have a primary health care provider (so into natural, but will use conventional when necessary).

I am not a part of any radical fringe group like QAnon.

I am a thoughtful person and do not fall in line with the status quo.

I have noticed that it's "popular" to jump on the vaccine bandwagon - and I'm kind of amazed that so many educated, otherwise intellectual people have no qualms about getting the vaccine.

I don't want it. It has not been approved by the FDA and the people taking it now are actually, by default, guinea pigs.

I don't think there is a chip being installed, AND I think Bill Gates should stick to computers and stop trying to control the world. He has talked quite a bit about "de-population," and has said in the past that vaccines would be part of that plan (I forget the exact thinking on how this is supposed to work - I will go back and look it up).

I am a democrat, highly educated, so not in the demographic that is saying dumb people are the ones with "hesitancy."

Most of my friends and family have no qualms about getting the vaccine. I am baffled by the large number of people who are willing to do it without hesitation, even though no vaccine is FDA approved.

Some of the arguments FOR getting the vaccine seem so flawed to me, and there is such pressure - so many media sound-bites to program people to want to line up and get it.

That one health official who said last week she FELT like "doom and gloom" was around the corner (more surges and variants and the virus NOT being under control), but today we get the green light for FLYING ALL OVER THE PLACE. How does that make sense?

I don't have the energy to argue my position and why it makes sense to me. I understand that others want to ridicule and pressure people who they perceive as "being selfish" or not falling in line with the current pressure and propaganda (the "being selfish" seems to relate to their concept of herd immunity - which has nothing to do with real herd immunity, which does not require a vaccine and is not that affected by a vaccine - despite the sound bites to the contrary).

Just wondering if there are other thoughtful, intellectual "sane" people (as opposed to the Q nuts and Trump supporters) who will still make a stand against mandatory vaccines and government attempts to make you get a vaccine card to attend events or even enter stores.

One of my major goals is to travel to one place in the U.S., but I am not ready to fly while cases are still surging and there are all kinds of variants. I am hoping in a year or so the virus will have died down somehow (have no idea how many people have gotten sick from Covid and how that factors into herd immunity).

If you are a thoughtful person who is resisting the current pressure, what are some of your thoughts?
I am a thoughtful, sane, highly educated individual who is against using "vaccine" passports to control every aspect of people's lives. But I voted for Trump, and supported the good things he made happen during his administration, so I have to assume you wouldn't care to hear what I have to say or the rationale behind my stance on the topic.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
I am a college educated, left-leaning independent and find the passports a privacy violation of my health (goodbye, HIPPA). It will also set a precedent for things like insurance and employment.

Also, Pfizer made 15 billion just in 2021 so far. I am not an anti-vaxxer (I get a flu shot every year), but that is food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies