Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 03:08 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times

Advertisements

First off, the disclaimer: I am not an "anti-vaxer" (which is now a slur). I was vaccinated as a child, as were my children. I like to live healthy, as much as is possible (for me, meaning organic foods and natural healing methods. I do use allopathic medicines when necessary and have a primary health care provider (so into natural, but will use conventional when necessary).

I am not a part of any radical fringe group like QAnon.

I am a thoughtful person and do not fall in line with the status quo.

I have noticed that it's "popular" to jump on the vaccine bandwagon - and I'm kind of amazed that so many educated, otherwise intellectual people have no qualms about getting the vaccine.

I don't want it. It has not been approved by the FDA and the people taking it now are actually, by default, guinea pigs.

I don't think there is a chip being installed, AND I think Bill Gates should stick to computers and stop trying to control the world. He has talked quite a bit about "de-population," and has said in the past that vaccines would be part of that plan (I forget the exact thinking on how this is supposed to work - I will go back and look it up).

I am a democrat, highly educated, so not in the demographic that is saying dumb people are the ones with "hesitancy."

Most of my friends and family have no qualms about getting the vaccine. I am baffled by the large number of people who are willing to do it without hesitation, even though no vaccine is FDA approved.

Some of the arguments FOR getting the vaccine seem so flawed to me, and there is such pressure - so many media sound-bites to program people to want to line up and get it.

That one health official who said last week she FELT like "doom and gloom" was around the corner (more surges and variants and the virus NOT being under control), but today we get the green light for FLYING ALL OVER THE PLACE. How does that make sense?

I don't have the energy to argue my position and why it makes sense to me. I understand that others want to ridicule and pressure people who they perceive as "being selfish" or not falling in line with the current pressure and propaganda (the "being selfish" seems to relate to their concept of herd immunity - which has nothing to do with real herd immunity, which does not require a vaccine and is not that affected by a vaccine - despite the sound bites to the contrary).

Just wondering if there are other thoughtful, intellectual "sane" people (as opposed to the Q nuts and Trump supporters) who will still make a stand against mandatory vaccines and government attempts to make you get a vaccine card to attend events or even enter stores.

One of my major goals is to travel to one place in the U.S., but I am not ready to fly while cases are still surging and there are all kinds of variants. I am hoping in a year or so the virus will have died down somehow (have no idea how many people have gotten sick from Covid and how that factors into herd immunity).

If you are a thoughtful person who is resisting the current pressure, what are some of your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 03:13 PM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
If people don’t want to get the vaccine, why should they have to? What do I care if they are more susceptible to getting sick, or worse?

I made a personal decision and got the vaccine, but even I don’t want to show it wherever I go, it’s too much trouble for what benefit? Again, I don’t care if others don’t get the vaccine. If the workers at the establishment didn’t get the vaccine, again, not my problem.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:14 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Private businesses can mandate vaccinations for entry or not as they wish. People can either comply or not as they wish. If they can’t shop at certain stores or fly on some airlines because they refuse to be vaccinated, oh well consequences happen. Shrug.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
If people don’t want to get the vaccine, why should they have to? What do I care if they are more susceptible to getting sick, or worse?

I made a personal decision and got the vaccine, but even I don’t want to show it wherever I go, it’s too much trouble for what benefit? Again, I don’t care if others don’t get the vaccine. If the workers at the establishment didn’t get the vaccine, again, not my problem.
You're definitely in the minority as a person who made the decision to get it and understand that others may not want it for whatever reason. If there were more people like you, people like me would not be being actively shunned and ridiculed. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. Not the first time.

The part that's different this time is that I am into natural healing and I understand most people are not - that kind of hurts my feelings when people I know get sick and I feel I could suggest something, but they're not into it - but in this case, my civil liberties are now at risk. So not only shunned, but prevented from doing much of what I want to do. Just because of my beliefs and also my constitutional rights.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Private businesses can mandate vaccinations for entry or not as they wish. People can either comply or not as they wish. If they can’t shop at certain stores or fly on some airlines because they refuse to be vaccinated, oh well consequences happen. Shrug.
So you're basically of the "I got mine, the hell with you gang." Got it. So many of you suckers out there making life difficult and not fun these days.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:28 PM

I forgot one important factor: The web is being scrubbed of any article deemed to be "anti-vax" (FB, Instagram, Google, other), so you CAN'T EVEN READ ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT THE VACCINE.

Is everyone just fine with that?

We can't discuss actual issues anymore - the fact that media content is controlled, and one narrative is being pushed is just wrong.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
So you're basically of the "I got mine, the hell with you gang." Got it. So many of you suckers out there making life difficult and not fun these days.
No, I’m in the “you make your choices, you pay the price” camp. If you don’t wish to be vaccinated, don’t. I don’t care about your choice in the slightest. I also don’t care about you whining that you can’t do something you’d like to do because of that choice.

All choices have consequences. Why should you avoid the consequences of yours? If airlines insist that you must be vaccinated to fly, that’s their choice and they too will bear the consequences of making it good or bad.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No, I’m in the “you make your choices, you pay the price” camp. If you don’t wish to be vaccinated, don’t. I don’t care about your choice in the slightest. I also don’t care about you whining that you can’t do something you’d like to do because of that choice.

All choices have consequences. Why should you avoid the consequences of yours? If airlines insist that you must be vaccinated to fly, that’s their choice and they too will bear the consequences of making it good or bad.
Interesting. Obviously, you think your choice comes with no consequences.

I actually agree that choices have consequences. The thing I do not agree with is having my civil liberties obliterated because I don't want to allow a foreign object of someone else's interests to be injected into my body. I always thought that I was a sovereign being with rights, and that HIPAA actually stood for something. Why should I HAVE TO disclose my personal medical history to anyone for any reason?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:34 PM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
I think people would be surprised how restrictive other countries are compared to the US right now. I travel internationally for my job, so I see it firsthand.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if most countries end up denying entry without a vaccine card in the future.

Despite this, I still think the US shouldn’t make it mandatory for citizens or tourists.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:37 PM

574 posts, read 376,948 times
We are all free to be ignorant. But companies don't have to hire you if you smoke, or do drugs and they get to test you. So if a private entity requires people be vaccinated then too bad for you. Being anti vax does not give you any more rights than anyone else. Where is my right to know I am not in a plane sitting next to someone carrying a contageous deadly pathogen? I will get the vaccine and gladly be tested before boarding the flight. You dumb people can walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies