Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:37 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This voting bs has gotten out of hand.
I remember when election day was a holiday, and most business, including stores and banks closed for the day,
Liquor could not be sold, and bars were closed until the polls closed.
Most voted in person, and that is the way it should be.
If you couldn't find a way to the polls, you just didn't vote.
I think mail in voting should be limited to the disabled, and military, and no one else gets to vote by mail.
In person, or you don't vote, and show current ID or you don't get to vote.
If it was good enough in the past(and it worked for years) it should be god enough now.
Response: Opinion

I remember...................................Sad....

I remember when the Democratic party
was the party of hard working Americans
instead of the party of Politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 09:03 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
True voter fraud should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but only if proof meeting judicial evidentiary standards can be offered.

Isolated voter fraud is not a legitimate reason to create voter suppression affecting a far greater number of voters.
Well put. The fake claims of fraud in 2020 were and are ridiculous and unfounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
When was election day a holiday with store closures and no alcohol sales?
Quote:
The voting process worked fine for years when it was a holiday, and people voted in person.
There was no fraud, or voter suppression to speak of ,and people didn't expect there would be, it was just never even thought of.
I have no idea where you lived that election day was a general holiday. It never was anywhere that I lived. Stores or businesses were not closed and people were often lined up to vote long after the polls were supposed to close. Polling places were many hours late bringing their ballots in to be counted. Alcohol sales were prohibited on election day where we lived. When I worked in state government in the 1970s government workers were given the day off. This (and alcohol restrictions) was the result of rampant fraud and vote suppression and alcohol induced voting in earlier decades.

In the early 1900s, and probably earlier, gangs would raid polling places on election day stuffing ballot boxes and abusing or beating up voters supporting the "wrong" candidate. My great-uncles were part of the gangs that were enforcing the election outcome.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:46 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Most are staffed by senior citizens presently, and there certainly is a large senior citizen pool to pick from.
Actually, finding people to work polls is a big problem. This article is from 2018 and the issue has only gotten worse post Covid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gov...rms.html%3fAMP

Old 04-05-2021, 06:05 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Originally, the right to vote was limited to about 6% of the population.

Quote:
The Constitution of the United States grants the states the power to set voting requirements. Generally, states limited this right to property-owning or tax-paying white males (about 6% of the population). ... Since married women were not allowed to own property, they could not meet the property qualifications.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time..._United_States

A few posters here wish that that had never changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies