Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 08:02 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Democrats still think black people are incapable of doing anything.
I'd be so offended, if I was told I was too stupid to figure it out, as white people can.

It is the democrats who are racist in this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Your racism is dripping from each word you type.
Nope, just the facts. There are numerous news items about older Blacks who can't get an ID because they've lost papers over the years, there's a discrepancy between the name on their Social security card and birth certificate, They can't afford to pay the replacement cost(some states are now issuing free voting ID, which is a great)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. It's typical left-wing white supremacy and racism.
No, it's not. It's facts from numerous news articles on the issue. It doesn't affect me at all, but the lack of empathy and downright lies from people who should know better is annoying.

Quote:
BS. I changed my name and had to have a new SS card issued when I got married in the early '80s, 40 years ago. I needed a government-issued photo ID and my marriage certificate to do so. Likewise, when I opened my first individual checking account in the 1970's nearly 50 years ago. Had to have a government-issued photo ID to do so.
When I opened my first bank account in 1976, I didn't have to show an ID at all. I didn't have to show ID to rent an apartment, buy a car, or anything else. That all came later. And that's ignoring the people who had an ID and then lost it and were not able to get it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
How do they get Social Security? Have a bank account or do all the things that require identification (of which there are many)? Does this only apply only to older Black people....not whites? Do their friends and relatives not help them?

I've heard this argument many times....and it is still weak!
Read the links in my earlier post with details of people who were unable to get an ID, or get an ID replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
bs
So, all of the news stories about older Blacks having huge difficulty getting an ID or getting an ID replaced don't exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

You're acting like they're incompetent.
No, they are just unable to get past bureaucracy, or poorly written laws.

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
How do they get Social Security? Have a bank account or do all the things that require identification (of which there are many)? Does this only apply only to older Black people....not whites? Do their friends and relatives not help them?

I've heard this argument many times....and it is still weak!

Specifically why?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:05 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No, they are just unable to get past bureaucracy, or poorly written laws.

But they can navigate the bureaucracy to get food stamps, welfare, subsidized or free housing, an Obama phone. They figure out how to buy booze.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:15 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Replace Biden with Trump, and that statement would be correct.

Example here with reasons https://www.npr.org/2012/02/01/14620...-government-id

Another one https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/64464...pecially-tough

You were lucky, then. You have all the documentation required to get an ID? Never got divorced? Were issued a birth certificate when born? Don't have a discrepancy between your birth certificate and Social Security card?

Most of the impact is on older Blacks, but there are a number of older Hispanics in Texas, New Mexico, etc that have similar issues.

Nope, just the truth

They applied for those before ID was a requirement, have had a bank account for some time, lost their ID after applying, and can't get it replaced. Read the links above for details.

Your examples provide anecdotal information and fail to explain why this is a uniquely black problem.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's facts from numerous news articles on the issue.
Propaganda articles aren't proof of anything. If Blacks supposedly can't get IDs, why are they so disproportionately over-represented in Food Stamp, Medicaid, etc., enrollments? How are they getting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid benefits? Those all require an ID.

Quote:
When I opened my first bank account in 1976, I didn't have to show an ID at all. I didn't have to show ID to rent an apartment, buy a car, or anything else. That all came later. And that's ignoring the people who had an ID and then lost it and were not able to get it replaced.
Not my experience.

Quote:
So, all of the news stories about older Blacks having huge difficulty getting an ID or getting an ID replaced don't exist?
They're highly likely to be propaganda given the fact that so many older Blacks are getting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid benefits. Those benefits require one to have an ID when applying for them, and the using the latter requires an ID along with one's Medicare/Medicaid card at hospitals and other health care provider services.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:15 AM

2,774 posts, read 901,708 times
Quote:
Replace Biden with Trump, and that statement would be correct.

Example here with reasons https://www.npr.org/2012/02/01/14620...-government-id

Another one https://www.npr.org/2018/09/07/64464...pecially-tough

You were lucky, then. You have all the documentation required to get an ID? Never got divorced? Were issued a birth certificate when born? Don't have a discrepancy between your birth certificate and Social Security card?

Most of the impact is on older Blacks, but there are a number of older Hispanics in Texas, New Mexico, etc that have similar issues.

Nope, just the truth

They applied for those before ID was a requirement, have had a bank account for some time, lost their ID after applying, and can't get it replaced. Read the links above for details.
I read both articles you linked (not coincidently NPR) and they are anecdotal stories one could find about a statistically insignificant number of people of any other race, but NPR focused on a few black people. Your assertions betray the racist view you hold. You are the racist you accuse others of being.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:19 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,245,013 times
The news stories cited provide one of two examples of people who claim they can't get a photo id and then extrapolate to "millions of Americans". I'd like to hear some more details about how they function in 2021 society without any id.
Getting an id may be inconvenient but not impossible. Does the Constitution specifically state that voting should require no effort whatsoever?
The $$$, time and energy spent fighting voter id laws could be used to assist these allegedly id-less people getting legally registered to vote with plenty left over for the next campaign to protect opportunities for Democratic election fraud.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:27 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
The real issue is that the government should make id's required for voting free and quick to obtain if they want to require it for voting
I agree. There should be no cost associated with a government-issued ID.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:28 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Propaganda articles aren't proof of anything. If Blacks supposedly can't get IDs, why are they so disproportionately over-represented in Food Stamp, Medicaid, etc., enrollments? How are they getting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid benefits? Those all require an ID.

Not my experience.

They're highly likely to be propaganda given the fact that so many older Blacks are getting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid benefits. Those benefits require one to have an ID when applying for them, and the using the latter requires an ID along with one's Medicare/Medicaid card at hospitals and other health care provider services.
The older Blacks most likely to have issues getting an ID started receiving those benefits years ago, and may have had an ID then. There are numerous examples of older women who lost their ID, and can't get it replaced because their birth certificate name doesn't match their married name, and they can't find a copy of their marriage license. Many women don't know where their husband went for a marriage license. If my Dad hadn't told me which county he got his marriage license when he married my Mom, I never would have guessed, since it was in a county 400 miles away from where the wedding took place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I read both articles you linked (not coincidently NPR) and they are anecdotal stories one could find about a statistically insignificant number of people of any other race, but NPR focused on a few black people. Your assertions betray the racist view you hold. You are the racist you accuse others of being.
Well, it's not like Fox News is going to investigate the issues minorities have getting ID. They think it's all a fraud, mostly because they hate minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
The news stories cited provide one of two examples of people who claim they can't get a photo id and then extrapolate to "millions of Americans". I'd like to hear some more details about how they function in 2021 society without any id.
Getting an id may be inconvenient but not impossible. Does the Constitution specifically state that voting should require no effort whatsoever?
The $$$, time and energy spent fighting voter id laws could be used to assist these allegedly id-less people getting legally registered to vote with plenty left over for the next campaign to protect opportunities for Democratic election fraud.
It would be great if there was assistance for those folks who are having problems getting ID's. Unfortunately, the Republicans can't believe there are any issues, because they never get outside of their own white bread bubble, and think everyone is privileged like they are.

You can function without ID if your bank accounts were opened and your social security benefits started before you lost your ID, or had a house fire that destroyed your papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies