Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 03:34 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Also, thankfully anti-weed crusader Krisiti Noem was not successful in preventing the voters initiative legalizing medical cannabis from going into effect in SD on July 1st, through the rec one is still pending in the state Supreme Court.
Why make it legal on the State level when it still ILLEGAL on the Federal level? Why aren't the Democrats introducing a Fed bill to make Marijuana legal? Noem is smart enough not to take this erroneous bait. Evidently YOU'RE NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 03:45 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Response: Opinion

Pot ranks right between of tobacco and alcohol.
Bad for your lungs. Bad for your brain.

Adding eventually another limited to non contributing member to society.

Old 04-05-2021, 03:56 AM

6,088 posts, read 3,328,091 times
I’ve never used marijuana and never will. I think it’s pathetic that most people feel the need to abuse it because of some ridiculous reason like anxiety. How about man up and deal with your problems unimpaired?

The few that legitimately need it for pain relief from serious illness, that’s another story as prescribed opioids are much worse than marijuana.

But if you are a healthy 18-20 year old, there is no way that using marijuana is going to make you a better asset to society. In fact, you will likely lose motivation and end up needing a UBI or some nonsense such as that just to get by.

However, I understand that I’ve already lost this battle, so all I can say is that I hope people stay off the roads while high. Of course they won’t, but one can hope, I guess.

The future of this country is in serious jeopardy, after all, who is going to provide all the free stuff that the younger generation wants? Maybe that’s why they want Guatemalans to enter the US illegally? So they can be the slave labor that provides all the free stuff to Americans who want a UBI?

Old 04-05-2021, 04:06 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey- if you want to ruin your life, go ahead and do it.

I don't smoke, drink, or use drugs (I don't even use caffeine). Why? Life is too interesting to lapse into a drug induced "escape" and miss out on reality. Besides, as a physician, I owe it to my patients to show up awake, alert, and able to think.

"Escapes" are for losers who cannot cope with life. Take a vacation to a national park if you are stressed or go for a walk!
There are people recovering from cancer and other illnesses where pot eases the pain. Going to a National Park is not going to solve their pain issues. Some pain killers may also help but then you are giving them something that may cause more addiction problems. Look at the opioid crisis fueled by doctors writing scrips.

The question is very simple. Should the government have the power to tell you if you are allowed to smoke pot or not? Amazing how many conservatives point to the constitution for many things yet were fine with the war on drugs.

There are lots of things that are not good for people. People should exercise regularly, eat healthy foods and not partake in cigs, booze or any drugs. Pot has less bad effects compared to those choices. I say leave people alone and let them make decisions about what they put in their bodies.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:23 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why make it legal on the State level when it still ILLEGAL on the Federal level? Why aren't the Democrats introducing a Fed bill to make Marijuana legal? Noem is smart enough not to take this erroneous bait. Evidently YOU'RE NOT.
First of all SD will have medical marijuana July 1st. The people of the state have spoken. What did Noem prevent?

The dems passed a fed bill in the house. The GOP in the senate have blocked it. The question is if the majority of states have some form of legal pot why is it the GOP in the senate won't let it pass on a federal level? I am in rural Oklahoma and there is a medical marijuana store practically on every corner. I don't smoke pot. But I think its better to let it be sold legally and collect the taxes instead of arresting people for using it and wasting tax dollars to keep them locked up. There are lots of new small business owners in my area due to medical marijuana being allowed here. I would rather they make a living compared to some shady drug dealers.

House Approves Decriminalizing Marijuana; Bill To Stall In Senate

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/04/94294...tall-in-senate

The House of Representatives approved decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level on Friday in the first time Congress has acted on the issue.

The vote was largely along party lines – 228-164. Five Republicans and the lone independent member joined Democrats to pass the bill, and six Democrats voted no.

Branded as the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act, or MORE Act, the bill removes cannabis from the list of federally controlled substances and facilitates canceling low-level federal convictions and arrests related to marijuana.

The legislation is not expected to pass in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:14 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey- if you want to ruin your life, go ahead and do it.

I don't smoke, drink, or use drugs (I don't even use caffeine). Why? Life is too interesting to lapse into a drug induced "escape" and miss out on reality. Besides, as a physician, I owe it to my patients to show up awake, alert, and able to think.

"Escapes" are for losers who cannot cope with life. Take a vacation to a national park if you are stressed or go for a walk!
Its not about "ruining your life", its about the state telling you what you can do with or put into your own body. And speaking of ruining lives; how many lives have been ruined by the states illegal and immoral drug war?

Old 04-05-2021, 05:20 AM

7,324 posts, read 3,513,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
New Jersey, New York. Took forever, but we are in, on to Berlin.

New Mexico and Virginia are in the works.

South Carolina mustache guy is not happy. At least they never declared sedition.

S.C. bill isn’t about medicine; it’s about legalizing marijuana in our state| Op-Ed (yahoo.com)
New Jersey begrudgingly legalized marijuana after it was put on the ballot for referendum by the voters. make no mistake New Jersey has no intention of legalizing marijuana for recreational use. There are powers that be in Trenton that will delay this as long as possible. so in New Jersey you still cannot purchase legalized recreational marijuana it doesn't exist in the state.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am for legalizing drug-use for adults.

But I am also for people using logic, reason and common-sense when running their lives. Do not do a drug of any sort, without realizing that you must use moderation.......you run the very real risk of getting addicted and seriously wrecking your life.
75% of us are overweight/ obese. Obviously we don’t do moderation, well.

I am a long time on again/ off again volunteer in a hospital detox/ inpatient treatment. The so called War on Drugs has failed. Rehab/ treatment does not cure addiction. It tends to be the pause that refreshes.

Suboxone is effective for opioid/ opiate addicts who choose to live rather than continuing to play Russian Roulette multiple times a day.

The countries with the fewest challenges don’t spend much. Rather, they impose draconian consequences. People get it and choose to take a pass.

Given the US is not going to do likewise, why not regulate and legalize and in doing so cut off the cartels?

I don’t drink or use recreational drugs.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
As a physician, you should recognize that humans are unique enough to deal with stress in different ways.

Cannabis is an incredible drug for stress relief (even DURING a hike through a national park), much better than any "legal" drug you might prescribe to your patients for stress.
Exercise is an incredible reliever of stress, much better than any drug, legal or otherwise.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
People can do what they want but I don't want to wind up paying the consequences for their actions that wouldn't have been except for pandering 'legalitzation' measures. Legal does not mean safe. They are two different things.

The 'war on drugs' involved a lot of criminals, not political victims. Many of these illegal dealers knowingly violated the law include using murder, theft, bribery etc as a tool. Same for many a junky. Yes there were excesses on both sides but the participants including some of the most selfish/ends justify the means people on the planet. Not everyone was/is a martyr, symbol, victim etc.
The US pays an incredible price in terms of the DEA, LE, courts, county jails, prisons, ERs and court- ordered rehab/ treatment.

Street gangs operate the retail end of the business and destroy communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies