U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 06:23 PM

7,276 posts, read 10,289,132 times

Advertisements

What's your opinion of this comparison?

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 06:33 PM

14,390 posts, read 8,466,240 times
I did the comparison myself in another thread, looking at Fulton County (where there were long lines) and Suffolk County, NY. I’ve lived and voted in both places.

Fulton had more advance voting locations for less people and had them available 2x as long.

NY also doesn’t allow no-excuse absentee voting.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:37 PM

I'm curious to see if any other news networks will highlight this comparison between Georgia's and New York's voting laws? I want to see this on MSNBC.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:40 PM

9,052 posts, read 2,659,328 times
The comparison is valid. As I said in the MLB thread a couple of days ago, MLB is going to need to find a new headquarter location if they wish to be consistent.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:26 AM

3,209 posts, read 985,635 times
NY is reliably blue enough that its election laws don't matter. Georgia only went to Biden because of massive mail in voting and the lack of vote chain of custody that goes along with it, so when they pass laws to try to curb that and bring back some election integrity they are being racist and fascist and must be boycotted.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:00 AM

47,527 posts, read 19,835,627 times
They only address a small portion of the law, they ignored the remainder of the 100 page law but this is what Fox News does.
Yes there are some areas where the Georgia law is less restrictive, no excuse by mail and extended early voting but it leaves out the several points.

The Georgia law shrinks the window for requests foe early and absentee voting from 6 months to 73 days and ballots can only be mailed out 29 days before.

Limits drop boxes for early voting

Shortens early voting for run-offs for early voting from 3 weeks to 1.

The general assemble selects the chair of the elections board removing the secretary of state.

The state election board can investigate county election boards and remove board members and superintendents.

I don't know of any county or city in NY that has lines that are hours long unless there is an equipment break. Allowing politicians to intervene in the election process is a large red flag, it should be left with the secretary of state and the bipartisan election boards.

Requires voter ID.

Here is a better description of the Georgia laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...law-explained/

Old 04-05-2021, 07:35 AM

20,486 posts, read 21,065,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Georgia law shrinks the window for requests foe early and absentee voting from 6 months to 73 days and ballots can only be mailed out 29 days before.
Why is that a problem?

Quote:
That's meaningless without more information. There shouldn't be unlimited drop boxes for a variety of reasons, so a limit absolutely makes sense. Can you give a more detailed explanation of the problem you have with this provision in the law? Citing it would be helpful, btw.

Quote:
Again, I'm not seeing why this is a problem. Can you explain?

Quote:
The general assemble selects the chair of the elections board removing the secretary of state.

The state election board can investigate county election boards and remove board members and superintendents.
You're going to have to explain why that's bad. The Constitution explicitly delegates election management to the legislatures in the states.

I actually don't know why the SOS typically manages elections. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to inform, if you know. And if you don't, then I'm not sure why you're complaining about that change in the first place.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
They only address a small portion of the law, they ignored the remainder of the 100 page law but this is what Fox News does.
Yes there are some areas where the Georgia law is less restrictive, no excuse by mail and extended early voting but it leaves out the several points.

I don't know of any county or city in NY that has lines that are hours long unless there is an equipment break. Allowing politicians to intervene in the election process is a large red flag, it should be left with the secretary of state and the bipartisan election boards.

Requires voter ID.

Here is a better description of the Georgia laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...law-explained/
Do you know how many voting drop boxes there were in 2016 and 2018?

Zero.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

I actually don't know why the SOS typically manages elections. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to inform, if you know. And if you don't, then I'm not sure why you're complaining about that change in the first place.
Here’s the irony. Our Governor was previously SoS and technically oversaw the 2018 election while he was a candidate.

There was a massive outcry from the left about this.

Now, the SoS doesn’t oversee elections, and there’s a massive outcry from the left about this.

There is a defined process to follow. I guess it shows how the left thinks when they assume that county election boards can be summarily removed at the whim of the legislature...possibly because that’s how they operate themselves?

Old 04-05-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Morning Joe on Msnbc talked about this earlier this morning. They highlighted similar things that Fox did with their comparison of both states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies