Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 02:16 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, explain the "woke" movements pre-1970s.
Did you watch the video in the first post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 02:18 AM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Did you watch the video in the first post?
It's Babylon Bee. Why would I?

Old 04-06-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Why would I?
Right. Sorry, my bad for assuming you'd actually like to hear an explanation.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:30 AM

Anecdote of mine. I've been somewhat "woke" part of my adult life. Not woke in terms of "brunch is racist " or "you can't fail or suspend any kid". It was more like "we should invest more in renewable energy " or "we should give new urbanism a try" or "racism is still an issue". My roots for being somewhat woke came from seeing the world around me, being very unhappy with it, and being unaccepting of it. I got this way BEFORE going to college. No indoctrination from college professors. The way I saw life, I could either fight for what I want, or go somewhere that already has it.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:02 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,063 times
Quote:
Well, explain the "woke" movements pre-1970s. And for the record, I was talking about where woke started, not where it has ended up. Woke started long before the 70s or 60s. And it alot of it originated with those who didn't fit in with the social hierarchy, the dispossessed, or those who just found the social hierarchy of that time to be abhorrent. Those at the very bottom and were not happy about it would be the most likely to join up with the "woke". I don't agree with the idea that it was about destabilizing society.
My comments were pertaining to the section of your post that I bolded:When you don't benefit from the existing hierarchy, or you suffer under it, you'll join up with "woke-ism".

Old 04-06-2021, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Anecdote of mine. I've been somewhat "woke" part of my adult life. Not woke in terms of "brunch is racist " or "you can't fail or suspend any kid". It was more like "we should invest more in renewable energy " or "we should give new urbanism a try" or "racism is still an issue". My roots for being somewhat woke came from seeing the world around me, being very unhappy with it, and being unaccepting of it. I got this way BEFORE going to college. No indoctrination from college professors. The way I saw life, I could either fight for what I want, or go somewhere that already has it.
You don't seem to realize that, in calling your own Obama-era mainstream liberal views "somewhat woke", you discredit them. It's like a Bush-era conservative saying, "I've been somewhat fascist" or "I've been something of a white supremacist".

Old 04-06-2021, 03:28 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
It's soft Fascism turning harder daily and now corporations are acting like government punishing anyone that doesn't comply.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:27 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,093 times
Quote:
It's not a conspiracy. Power is being exerted and indoctrination is going on openly, everywhere.

No, and that's the main problem. Wokesters do not agree that you have the right to disagree. They want to punish you for disagreeing.

You'd probably better figure it out, since ignorance and indifference will not shield you.

Honest questions

What is this 'Power being exerted'?

How can anyone punish me if I disagree?

Shield me from what?

This is the problem I have with Hiltons video and the post like yours I am reading here. It is all so vague. How are these wokesters going effect my life?

This seems to me like the rights version of climate change. .....If we do not start doing something now in 10 years we are all doomed. Actually in the rights version only whites are doomed....I think.....lol

Old 04-06-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to realize that, in calling your own Obama-era mainstream liberal views "somewhat woke", you discredit them. It's like a Bush-era conservative saying, "I've been somewhat fascist" or "I've been something of a white supremacist".
Because my views had nothing to do with the Obama administration. I was thinking this way as far back as high school. I grew up in a conservative, predominantly White suburban/exurban area during the late 1990s/early 2000s. I also had problems fitting in with the area I was living in.

I was very bookish/nerdy in middle school and high school. I started reading alot of non-fiction books about other places. I started thinking "those areas seem like better places to live than where I live ". I started thinking "why is public transportation so bad where we live", "where is there such a backwards mentality where I live".

I also went to high school in Georgia during the state flag controversy. I hate the Confederate flag. I've hated the Confederate flag as far back as high school. No college professors to indoctrinate me. Just my father showing me what the Confederate cause was about.

Any "woke" in me had nothing to do with Obama. It was simply me reading alot of books, seeing the environment around me and not being happy with it. It came from not being able to fit in.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:04 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Honest questions

What is this 'Power being exerted'?

How can anyone punish me if I disagree?

Shield me from what?

This is the problem I have with Hiltons video and the post like yours I am reading here. It is all so vague. How are these wokesters going effect my life?

This seems to me like the rights version of climate change. .....If we do not start doing something now in 10 years we are all doomed. Actually in the rights version only whites are doomed....I think.....lol
Somehow I don't think you have to worry about wokesters cancelling you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies