Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
What a compassionate human being.
Far more compassionate than you - you want to force other people to pay for your compassion!

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 04-06-2021 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 11:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
It is irrelevant. You can actually be malnourished and be obese. Pasta is cheaper than steak. Many poor people are overweight.
It depends on what you think "malnourished" means. If you define it as having sub-optimal nutrition then sure, lots of fat people are malnourished. And almost all of that stems from people making poor choices about what they eat. It's not really something government can fix.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:14 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I'm ok with increased food stamps IF they prohibit the purchase of soda pop, snack foods, unhealthy prepared foods, and candy.

We need to get the poor to eat healthier because not only do we pay for their food; we pay for their health care. Diabetes is an expensive condition to treat. People with diabetes cost roughly 2.3X in medical care than they would without the condition. Why are we funding this future expense?

Old 04-07-2021, 06:37 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,555,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Far more compassionate than you - you want to force other people to pay for your compassion!
Are we not all embers of society? Do we not all drive on roads paid for by all of us? Read in libraries paid for in taxes? If some of my taxes go to help those who are in dire need, why would I resent it?

Old 04-07-2021, 06:46 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'm ok with increased food stamps IF they prohibit the purchase of soda pop, snack foods, unhealthy prepared foods, and candy.

We need to get the poor to eat healthier because not only do we pay for their food; we pay for their health care. Diabetes is an expensive condition to treat. People with diabetes cost roughly 2.3X in medical care than they would without the condition. Why are we funding this future expense?
I will never for the life of me understand why perfect strangers want to control what other people eat. Your fine with providing food for people as long as you can dictate what food they can eat.

Neither Ms. Kirby nor Ms. Radford (from the article) look to me as if they had had to skip meals as Ms. Kirby claimed. She quit going to the food bank because her kids didnt want to eat butter beans and tuna. Ms. Radford was making more money after she lost her job (unemployment) and SNAP: "Sonya Radford quickly received jobless benefits, which more than replaced the income she lost when her job as a nursing assistant ended, and she enrolled in SNAP. That combination left her better able to feed her three children than before the pandemic, when she often relied on food pantries.

“With the benefits, we’re pretty well off,” she said.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,238 times
Part of the problem is that a lot of parts of the country are deserts in terms of nutritious food, so obesity doesn't necessary mean that someone is making poor choices (though it often does) or has a lot of wealth to buy food. Sometimes, the junkiest food with a lot of calorie dense corn syrup is also the cheapest, and easier to get than fresh produce. I grew up in a working class neighborhood where there was good, healthy fruits and vegetables straight from the farm, cheap and available that kept us healthy. Going back there now, and the cheapest food options are processed foods and soft drinks full of corn syrup at the local shopping centers and convenience stores. Also the workweek has gotten so much worse since I was a kid, parents who could afford a home and basic goods with a 30 or 40 hour week before (and only one person having to work) now need both parents working 60 or more hours a week just to pay rent or mortgage, leave alone costs of things like private school. Parents are too tired to cook and get cheap things fast, which are often less healthy.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:18 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Agree 100%

Old 04-07-2021, 04:30 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I will never for the life of me understand why perfect strangers want to control what other people eat. Your fine with providing food for people as long as you can dictate what food they can eat.

Neither Ms. Kirby nor Ms. Radford (from the article) look to me as if they had had to skip meals as Ms. Kirby claimed. She quit going to the food bank because her kids didnt want to eat butter beans and tuna. Ms. Radford was making more money after she lost her job (unemployment) and SNAP: "Sonya Radford quickly received jobless benefits, which more than replaced the income she lost when her job as a nursing assistant ended, and she enrolled in SNAP. That combination left her better able to feed her three children than before the pandemic, when she often relied on food pantries.

While this might be true for Ms.Radford, it is just one person from millions who need help. One person, maybe 2, maybe more, are quite content the way they are, but it doesn't mean they represent all the people that need help.

Plus, unemployment benefits, also end one day. Then what? Then they have to get a job, or explain why they can't.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:33 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I don't want to "control" what other people eat. If you can afford to buy candy and ice cream WITH YOUR OWN MONEY then go ahead. I do not think the government should be paying for people on food stamps to eat candy and ice cream. We as a society are obligated to ensure nobody starves to death. Are we obligated as a society to provide people with junk food that will eventually end up costing tax payers over two times the normal cost in welfare health benefits?

What I want to do is provide people with healthy food that sustains them. Do you really think allowing food stamp recipients to squander their benefits on high fructose syrup beverages is helping them?

Old 04-07-2021, 04:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Part of the problem is that a lot of parts of the country are deserts in terms of nutritious food
Oh really? Which parts of the country would those be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies