Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:44 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Reading the comments since my earlier posting I still say good for Arkansas but I also wonder how the heck did we get to this point where the state has to step in to protect kids from life changing surgeries? Where are the parents that can put their foot down and stop the insanity?

Kids today are more confused then ever. When I was a kid we never thought about changing our sex, did you?

We should wonder if the tiny fraction of people that have felt they were born into the wrong body has always been a constant or since it has now become more mainstream and acceptable we have more people coming out because they are confused or going through a phase? Teenagers do go through phases in their lives and it is the parents responsibility to provide guidance but it seems that these days the kids are learning their "life lessons" from social media, pop culture and woke movements.

All kids need guidance NOT life altering surgeries and parents need to step up and be allowed to say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 08:59 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
The point is that less than 0.5% of people are truly transgendered, and of those that have surgery to change their (apparent) sex, hundreds later regret that choice. (Studies disagree as to the percentage of those who regret it.)

However, if an ADULT makes a decision to change their sex, that is on them. But for a parent to make a decision to allow a young child to allow surgery to change their sex is just wrong, imo. I can't even imagine the psychological harm that could result if the wrong decision was made.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:04 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The point is that less than 0.5% of people are truly transgendered, and of those that have surgery to change their (apparent) sex, hundreds later regret that choice. (Studies disagree as to the percentage of those who regret it.)

However, if an ADULT makes a decision to change their sex, that is on them. But for a parent to make a decision to allow a young child to allow surgery to change their sex is just wrong, imo. I can't even imagine the psychological harm that could result if the wrong decision was made.

Yes, I do think waiting until adulthood is the right thing to do because of this. There are a lot of very serious consequences of making this decision as a teen and then later regretting it.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:10 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Default Arkansas governor vetoes bill that would stop chemical castration of minors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Hry1rJn7w

Does it make sense to chemically castrate children, do they have any clue what they are doing or what they want?

I don't trust parents eager to make this change. They are turning gender into a commercial choice. Be whoever you want to be, if you are unsatisfied with your gender then choose differently.

What these people don't understand that sometimes you just have to suck it up and live with the cards dealt to you.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:21 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I would like to see the actual bill. It sounds like it bans things like puberty blockers and hormones which do have lasting impacts. I didn’t see anything in the news about it banning language such as referring to someone by their preferred pronouns.
It’s a seperate bill. And it’s specifically about not being allowed to require teachers to use the pronouns should they decide they don’t want to. Which I can tell you from experience is really hurtful to a kid.

And yes, the bill that just passed does ban those treatments. Which are treatments between a doctor and their patient. Puberty blockers and hormone treatments are for medical professionals to recommend or otherwise, not for legislators and lay people, who haven’t been professionally trained and are arguing agonist something they likely know bugger all about.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is opposed to the bill. As are many other medical orgs. They believe it will do more harm than not.

I’m actually quite surprised you think it’s ok for government to interfere here.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Parents do not make decisions for a YOUNG CHILD to have gender reassignment surgery.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
From the below link, quote, my italics:

"Arkansas’s legislature outlawed surgery and other gender-confirming treatments for transgender youth, after state lawmakers on Tuesday overrode the governor’s veto of a bill earlier this week.

"The legislation prohibits doctors from providing gender-transition treatment, including surgery and hormone therapy, to people under 18 years old. The measure doesn’t contain an exemption for transgender patients already receiving treatment.

"Senate sponsor Alan Clark, a Republican, said his heart went out to children who are “confused about what gender they may be,” but that gender-transition treatment isn’t appropriate for minors."
[end quote]

https://www.wsj.com/articles/arkansa...rs-11617744915

Good for them!
Good for them. Genital mutilation is wrong.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes, I do think waiting until adulthood is the right thing to do because of this. There are a lot of very serious consequences of making this decision as a teen and then later regretting it.
That’s fine. You’re entitled to that opinion and if it was my child I would strongly suggest they wait - teens are not generally actually getting surgery, though.

But this is about the government not allowing a choice, in any treatments. Is that ok?

Old 04-07-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Good for them. Genital mutilation is wrong.
You’re against circumcision, then. Good.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Arkansas bans gender-transition treatment for minors
AKA: Arkansas bans Dr. Josef Mengele medical experimentation on children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies