Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer that the pilot on your next flight be hired based on merit, or on race?
Merit 85 88.54%
Race 7 7.29%
neither/ don't know 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:47 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

As if flying wasn't bad enough......good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 07:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoonco View Post
And you need to be ATP-rated to fly passengers for a commercial airline, a certification which remains under the control of the FAA not the airlines themselves. This has been discussed ad nauseum in another thread. My impression after reading through the utter sewage that passed for debate in that thread is that there are a lot of white males who lack confidence that they can measure up when faced with a little competition from women and persons of color.
This is too complicated for people here to understand. Just look at the poll for example. Obviously they don't understand the basics of flying. I have several friends from when I served that became pilots. I had the flight hours but not the interest at the time. It's not a walk in the park.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
As if flying wasn't bad enough......good grief.
I don't understand why people complain about flying. I've never found it to be bad until recent Covid requirements.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:51 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is too complicated for people here to understand. Just look at the poll for example. Obviously they don't understand the basics of flying. I have several friends from when I served that became pilots. I had the flight hours but not the interest at the time. It's not a walk in the park.
It's not that hard either. I did it in five months while working a grueling senior corporate management position. Fly the plane.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:08 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Are you telling us they are? Because this flawed poll implies so. United never said they would choose less qualified people over more qualified people.
oh. they didn't say it, therefore it couldn't happen.fantastic.
why can't you answer my question, does doing so destroy your narrative that badly?

Old 04-07-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
oh. they didn't say it, therefore it couldn't happen.fantastic.
why can't you answer my question, does doing so destroy your narrative that badly?
You actually supported my narrative by showing that this poll is flawed. No one would choose race over merit. You're trying to make it seem like United is going to do that when there's nothing indicating it.

Why do you choose race over merit?

Old 04-07-2021, 08:13 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Merit, of course -- just as I would choose merit vs. race for my doctor, dentist, or any kind of professional advisor. The question is silly.
Exactly. The question is silly. Almost no one's going to choose race vs merit for anything professional.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
If an airline chose to hire by gender or race... they’d still have to pull from a group that was “certified” by the FAA in order to fly a commercial airliner. Airlines fly under FAA rules and do not have the ability to “ dumb down “ the training or requirements of their pilots. It’s the FAA who certifies pilots... not the airlines. Anyone who passes the FAA requirements for a commercial certificate should be capable of flying a commercial airplane safely.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
So, you think the owners of the airline would risk the price of a crashed plane and all the lawsuit in order to reach some quota?
Yes, I am 100% sure

This toxic woke insanity is so powerful. I’m not smart enough to understand how or why, but it’s no different from the nazis or waco, a bunch of brainwashed humans are dangerous and capable of doing horrible things that don’t make any sense.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:11 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
united airlines getting torn a new one on twitter..

https://twitter.com/united/status/1379426304857141250

lol
I thought it was against the law to discriminate or hire someone based on their gender, race or religious background?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies