Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times

Advertisements

I went to the actual report rather than the Right Wing reporting source that was referenced, there are only 10 group listed nation wide that our shown as "Christian" and 11 shown as "Radical Traditional Catholicism" so where is anti-Christian assault that they are claiming victimhood over? And in reading the actual report attacks on Christians seem to be absent...

Ref:https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map
Ref: https://www.splcenter.org/year-hate-and-extremism-2020

Last edited by VA Yankee; 04-08-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 08:32 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd challenge them to start focusing on themselves and to start acting more like ... Christians.

What a concept, eh?

Well. Isn't that ironic.

Why should bigotry stand as a "long" anything belief? And why shouldn't groups be called out for perpetuating those beliefs?

Me, too. As a Christian, I'm all for Christianity - as long as people don't force it on others.

See how that works?
I agree, except you seem to forget the reason they’re labeling Christians a hate group, which is the trans issue. Not the LGB issue, just the T.

I have no problem with adults who want to transition or take whatever hormones they wish, but I have a real problem with them getting kids on these drugs or getting surgery. I also have a problem with biological males playing women’s sports or going to women’s shelters or prisons. You should too because that’s the sane position, NOT the hateful position.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:32 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I went to the actual report rather than the Right Wing reporting source that was referenced, there are only 10 group[ listed nation wide that our shown as "Christian" and 11 shown as "Radical Traditional Catholicism" so where is anti-Christian assault that they are claiming victimhood over? And in reading the actual report attacks on Christians seem to be absent...

Ref:https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map
Ref: https://www.splcenter.org/year-hate-and-extremism-2020
It's because of groups like the James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" and Tony Perkins' "Family Research Council" being on the list.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:40 AM

603 posts, read 573,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Many "Christian" religious groups are not like Christians. They have merely hijacked the name. If you want something that is really Christian, you need to go to a mainstream church, not one that has a political agenda and believes in conspiracy theories. Most of these fake "Christian" churches cherry pick their beliefs and their "pastors" are out for money. Lots of them go on tv and tell people to send them their money. That's how they get rich.

True Christians can still be found if you look at some of the Catholic churches and some of the long standing mainstream Protestant churches. They have decent, honest people. But the "Christians" that we hear so much about and see so much on tv and have taken over our radio stations are worthy of being stomped out. They are haters.
The Roman Catholic church and "mainstream" protestant churches absolutely have a political agenda...it just happens to line up with democrat party talking points.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:46 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd challenge them to start focusing on themselves and to start acting more like ... Christians. What a concept, eh?

Why should bigotry stand as a "long" anything belief? And why shouldn't groups be called out for perpetuating those beliefs?

Me, too. As a Christian, I'm all for Christianity - as long as people don't force it on others.

See how that works?
I very, very rarely agree with your posts, but I completely agree with the above. How long did people believe that women should not vote and that their only true function in live was to have children and take care of others?

What is wrong with the concept of "live and let live", as long as doing so does not actually (physically) harm anyone else?

And as an aside to that, yes, people can have their feelings hurt by people saying unkind things or acting in an unkind manner, but how many people haven't had our feelings hurt at one time or another? (And that is not to say that I approve of people being bigots because I certainly do not. Personally, I think most of these people in most situations are idiots or bullies -- and usually both.)

Old 04-08-2021, 08:51 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
They have also decided to recategorize any black hate groups, so that they can better highlight how white hate groups are the real cause for the black hate groups.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...s-our-hate-map

Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's because of groups like the James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" and Tony Perkins' "Family Research Council" being on the list.
OK thank you.....

Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I read it. Heartbreakingly, it is not a distortion. We need to all take a very, very close look at some of the things that started being said in Germany about Jews in the 1930’s. We are walking that direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Old Hag has a much better grasp of history, and an ability to apply its lessons to the present day, than you apparently do, Dirty Pirate. Instead of smacking your head, you might want to study the lead-up to the Holocaust. The parallels between then and some of what I've been seeing now, here in America, are chilling. This, the topic of this thread, is one example.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Many "Christian" religious groups are not like Christians. They have merely hijacked the name. If you want something that is really Christian, you need to go to a mainstream church, not one that has a political agenda and believes in conspiracy theories. Most of these fake "Christian" churches cherry pick their beliefs and their "pastors" are out for money. Lots of them go on tv and tell people to send them their money. That's how they get rich.

True Christians can still be found if you look at some of the Catholic churches and some of the long standing mainstream Protestant churches. They have decent, honest people. But the "Christians" that we hear so much about and see so much on tv and have taken over our radio stations are worthy of being stomped out. They are haters.
That’s a slippery slope. Our constitution allows us to decide for ourselves if we want to practice a religion or no religion at all. There’s really no clause in there for religions to be casually dismissed because someone like yourself sees villains everywhere.

Imagine letting me determine what you should and shouldn’t be able to do or believe in. I might get a kick out of it and enjoy watching you suffer but I doubt you’d be okay with it.

I’m not really sure why totalitarianism has become so popular but I must assume at this point the little tyrants have been walking around amongst us this whole time. It seems they’re more dangerous to liberal democracy than anything else including mega churches with less than benevolent televangelist.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
To democrats being a Christian = Bigot

Dems Endorse Anti-Christian SPLC Report: 'It's Time We Extinguish All Bigoted Beliefs'

House and Senate Democrats endorsed the Southern Poverty Law Center’s (SPLC) “Year in Hate” report that brands mainstream conservative and Christian nonprofits “hate groups” and plots them on a map with the Ku Klux Klan.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...liefs-n1437818
Perhaps instead of relying on a third party to tell you what’s in the SPLC report, consider reading the report:

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2021/...year-hate-2020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies